White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

Hadn't seen this posted.

Rosenthal

The team, in addition to pursuing Konerko, Dunn and catcher A.J. Pierzynski in free agency, also is in engaging in advanced trade discussions, according to sources.

One candidate to move: Right fielder Carlos Quentin, who stands to earn about $5 million in arbitration but is not eligible for free agency until after the 2012 season.

The Phillies and Cardinals both have been linked to Quentin in published reports. The White Sox likely are looking for bullpen help — and payroll flexibility.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
Hadn't seen this posted.

Rosenthal

The team, in addition to pursuing Konerko, Dunn and catcher A.J. Pierzynski in free agency, also is in engaging in advanced trade discussions, according to sources.

One candidate to move: Right fielder Carlos Quentin, who stands to earn about $5 million in arbitration but is not eligible for free agency until after the 2012 season.

The Phillies and Cardinals both have been linked to Quentin in published reports. The White Sox likely are looking for bullpen help — and payroll flexibility.

And here we go...

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
Hadn't seen this posted.

Rosenthal

I think we are trading a pitcher. Maybe packaging Q with someone from the rotation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
I think we are trading a pitcher. Maybe packaging Q with someone from the rotation.

Floyd and Quentin to the Cards would be interesting for a possible Rasmus swap...

Edit: scratch that, Cards don't have much of a need at SP...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
If you sign Konerko and Dunn, everyone knows you're selling him because you have no spot to play him.

Konerko and Dunn is your 1B/DH combo. I hope that Konerko does resign becuase Dunn's value becomes very diminished if he allowed to play the field regularly (1B or RF). You still need a RF, Quentin can play, I guess, but I would welcome a trade for a more defensive minded RF. Still would a CQ and Beckham package get it done for Rasmus?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
Floyd and Quentin to the Cards would be interesting for a possible Rasmus swap...

that would have to include Stl. taking 100% of their money, because Rasmus is a good player, in this market Floyd should be able to get more than that.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
Konerko and Dunn is your 1B/DH combo. I hope that Konerko does resign becuase Dunn's value becomes very diminished if he allowed to play the field regularly (1B or RF). You still need a RF, Quentin can play, I guess, but I would welcome a trade for a more defensive minded RF. Still would a CQ and Beckham package get it done for Rasmus?

Of course it would. And that would be a drastic overpay.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)

I doubt Beckham is going anywhere.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
You couldn't get anyone to take Pierre, LAD are paying a portion of his money anyway

The Dodgers are paying $3.5 million of the $8.5 million owed.

Therefore, Pierre will cost the Sox $5 million.

If someone would take him, wouldn't you be happy to add that money to the payroll?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
The Dodgers are paying $3.5 million of the $8.5 million owed.

Therefore, Pierre will cost the Sox $5 million.

If someone would take him, wouldn't you be happy to add that money to the payroll?

well it depends how they would spend that 5m, but I honestly don't see a team taking Juan for 5m

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
well it depends how they would spend that 5m, but I honestly don't see a team taking Juan for 5m

Juan Pierre will be the Sox leadoff hitter in 2011. If you are wondering who the Sox plan on trading- it will likely be Quentin and maybe one of their SPs in a package for a defensive minded RF and relief help. Apparently they want Sale in the rotation in 2011.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
Of course it would. And that would be a drastic overpay.

Beckham is the only piece that would even come close to getting it done, but we need to move CQ just to have a place for Rasmus. Think about it though, if you have Rasmus in right you can sign someone like Orlando Hudson to play 2B (1 year 5 mil). Hudson, if healthy, will actually give you numbers pretty comparable to what a good year for Beckham would produce, about .280/.350/.420.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
$14 million is about right. Although having him until he's 35 worries me a bit. I would have liked 3 years a lot better.

Meh, guys like Ortiz/Vlad/Thome have continued to rake at or well past 35. Not too worried about the years, as Dunn has prototypical "old guy" skills anyway. Those don't decline nearly as fast as somebody like a Carl Crawford's would into his 30's.

The trade, if one happens, will be a pitcher. My guess is Jackson. But, Mark Buerhle might be the one. I say Jax because of what the original plan was last year. Swap him to the Nats for Dunn then. We won't be trading the likes of CQ or Beckham becasue that is not the area we consider a strength or who might bring the greatest return. Pitching is the strength of the Sox and the need for most other teams. I am crossing my fingers for Konerko's return also and I would be happy to see AJP back

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Beckham is the only piece that would even come close to getting it done, but we need to move CQ just to have a place for Rasmus. Think about it though, if you have Rasmus in right you can sign someone like Orlando Hudson to play 2B (1 year 5 mil). Hudson, if healthy, will actually give you numbers pretty comparable to what a good year for Beckham would produce, about .280/.350/.420.

I realize Beckham is the only piece that would get it done. And I'm not even sure I'd do that. Beckham and CQ? Too steep.