White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
MLB Network showed some lowlights of Dunn playing 1B. There were some plays you don't see much in Little League. Supposedly he has been in contact with Konerko and is OK DHing.

Earlier on twitter I saw this: Dunn wanted 4/60, took less for #WhiteSox. You better believe he knows Paulie is leaning toward coming back. - Brett Ballantini

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
Look at his WAR, I bet you the less defense Dunn is allowed to play the greater is WAR. Dunn could easily be a 6 WAR guy in a DH only role, which is RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. The only way Dunn can be bad is if he is allowed to play defense and costs enough runs to negative his .900+ OPS.

Eh, not really. The positional change would take off 1.75 wins automatically over 600 PAs if he's a DH. Dunn's D wasn't all that bad last year, according to UZR at least. His bat also wasn't as good. I think Dunn should be good for about 4 WAR, which is what PK put up last year.

Look at his WAR, I bet you the less defense Dunn is allowed to play the greater is WAR. Dunn could easily be a 6 WAR guy in a DH only role, which is RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. The only way Dunn can be bad is if he is allowed to play defense and costs enough runs to negative his .900+ OPS.

Hell yea man! So if we bring Paulie back, which it kinda looks like might be happening, what do you see happening to Viciedo?

I only ask cuz I love the kid and I'd hate to see him not break out here.

Dunn would have to go 2006/2007 David Ortiz to post a 6 WAR from the DH slot. Not happening. I'm more than content with a 4-4.5 WAR. 5 WAR would be the absolute max. And he would have to really take to playing 81 games at the Cell for that to even happen.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
I think people are either overrated Pauly's defense or exaggerating Dunn's defense at 1B. Pauly ranked dead last in +/- last year (yes, behind Dunn).
Dunn had a surprisingly weird/good year last year at 1B. I don't think that will continue though. He just doesn't have the talent/make-up of a good defender. I think he's a -10 defender at 1B at this point. At least he's not gonna be a -30 in the OF on this team next year (I hope not at least). Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
Makes perfect sense to me.

Me too, plus there is no way DLee can be that bad again. Just the thought to sticking him into a more productive lineup should bring him back to average numbers, and he is a plus defender too.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
Dunn had a surprisingly weird/good year last year at 1B. I don't think that will continue though. He just doesn't have the talent/make-up of a good defender. I think he's a -10 defender at 1B at this point. At least he's not gonna be a -30 in the OF on this team next year (I hope not at least).

Tough to say as this was the first year he's played 1B full-time. He'd never played more than 67 games at 1B in a season before. I think people remember how awful he was in the OF and automatically assume he's just as horrific at 1B.

Also, I'm sure throwing to a target that is 6'6" with the wingspan near a 7 footer is a major plus. It's very tough to pull Adam Dunn off the 1B.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
Are we talking range or skills at 1st? You realize how many errors lexi did not get thanks to PK?

That's kind of one of those things we can only pick up thru watching the game. Having PK at first has helped Alexei quite a bit.

PK's defense may not be great, but its certainly not hurting us.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
How many times did a throw pull PK off the base that wouldn't pull Adam Dunn off the base?

PK was the second worst fielder on the Sox to Carlos Quentin. However bad his range is though, he is very consistent with balls he can actually get his glove on.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
PK was the second worst fielder on the Sox to Carlos Quentin. However bad his range is though, he is very consistent with balls he can actually get his glove on.

No doubt. What he could get to, he got.

Personally, I think because of Dunn's shear size, he'll be able to get to more balls/throws. Due to this, I don't think he's that much worse than Pauly defensively. Worse, but not by much.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
Reading the comments from KW I don't see how PK isn't back unless he hates KW, OG or other players or he wants the top deal no matter what. It sounds like KW is going to give him his money and we made the team better.

Agreed, not trying to sound too over confident, but KW seems to know PK is coming back. At least if he does not come back, it is not because of the Sox effort. Come on Paulie, come back for one more contract!! Paulie would retire as one of the greatest White Sox players ever and have a statue on the CF concourse.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
How many times did a throw pull PK off the base that wouldn't pull Adam Dunn off the base?

If you have MLB Network, watch the Hot Stove show if its replayed tonight. They have a clip of Dunn playing 1B. Its a scared straight clip like the movies of black lungs they would show you in high school so you wouldn't even think about smoking. While I know you can make a clip of just about anyone for 10 plays or so and make it look scary, not as scary as this one looked. Dunn is a terrible defensive 1B. Awful. If they told him he can play there once or twice a week to keep him happy, you could probably live with that, but with the way Alexei loses his concentration, you would easily add 10 errors to his total, not to mention anyone else.