White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
That he won't be all that expensive and he's familiar with the city, as well as his relationship with KW and Ozzie.

exactly, I don't think there's anything concrete, but it's logical. With D-Lee at 1b, Bacon at 2b, Alexi at SS and Morel possibly at 3rd, the Sox have a very impressive defensive IF

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
This is exactly type of the move i need from this organization to get my confidence in the team back. Dunn would be an outstanding addition to the club.

Not if it means no PK, its more of a lateral move to very slight upgrade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
Heyman is now saying they are closing in on Dunn and still negotiating with Konerko. Maybe JR has a few Little Ceasers franchises he hasn't mentioned before.

lol, could be, maybe Wing Stop, but really, the Deadspin documents from a few months ago, even though none were the Sox, just furthered my belief that the Sox have money. Also they said the best thing to have in any sports team is the equity, then you try to break even or even lose a little, I have a hard time thinking of many franchises in MLB that would have the equity JR's group has in the team.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
This is exactly type of the move i need from this organization to get my confidence in the team back. Dunn would be an outstanding addition to the club.

It would be the first major FA signing, with another team's FA, since Albert Belle. There were some decent names signed as free agents, Dye being one, but he was in the bargain bin. It would be the first time KW shelled out more than $20 million for another guy's FA ever.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
I like the Dunn signing assuming it will happen. I just hope it means they don't have to dump pitching to afford him. Or settle for Tyler Flowers at catcher.

I would use the term "trade" pitching, because in this market with some of the arms the Sox could trade they should be able to get quality back for them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
Heyman is now saying they are closing in on Dunn and still negotiating with Konerko. Maybe JR has a few Little Ceasers franchises he hasn't mentioned before.

I don't see how we can sign both at around $12 million for the next 2-3 years.

We're not the Red Sox or Mets.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
It would be the first major FA signing, with another team's FA, since Albert Belle. There were some decent names signed as free agents, Dye being one, but he was in the bargain bin. It would be the first time KW shelled out more than $20 million for another guy's FA ever.

yeah, but some of the trades they made are roughly the same as FAs, the Freddy extension and the Peavy contract were big adds.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)

Unless you actually go back and include moves like Rios, where they essentially signed him to a 5 years 60ish million dollar contract by getting him off of waivers, or the Peavy deal, where they not only assumed his contract, but gave up players to do it. Sure it sounds better when you make it sound bad, but the reality is that the Sox have brought in lots of big dollar guys, both from the inside and outside.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
I like the Dunn signing assuming it will happen. I just hope it means they don't have to dump pitching to afford him. Or settle for Tyler Flowers at catcher.

I actually think that if we could Paulie and Dunn back, then we could punt a position like catcher to give Flowers some time to find his bearings at the Major League level. Can you imagine if Flowers comes into spring with his bat back?

Pierre

Rios

Q

Dunn

Paulie

Beckham

Ramirez

Morel

Flowers

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
Unless you actually go back and include moves like Rios, where they essentially signed him to a 5 years 60ish million dollar contract by getting him off of waivers, or the Peavy deal, where they not only assumed his contract, but gave up players to do it. Sure it sounds better when you make it sound bad, but the reality is that the Sox have brought in lots of big dollar guys, both from the inside and outside.

I disagree, as this is a situation where they went head-to-head with other teams financially to land a player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Looking back at it, this shouldn't come as a shock after KW's desire to get Dunn last deadline.

If the 15 moves that Williams made after there was speculation prior to don't end the "Williams always gets the guy you don't expect," then hopefully this one does.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
I disagree, as this is a situation where they went head-to-head with other teams financially to land a player.

Oh come on fathom...you've defined it to the point that it's just meaningless. Half the other teams in the AL could have had Rios and none of them wanted him at that cost (and no other teams were reported to put in a claim on him either). Peavy was known to be available for months before we traded for him, and no other teams met the price.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
I actually think that if we could Paulie and Dunn back, then we could punt a position like catcher to give Flowers some time to find his bearings at the Major League level. Can you imagine if Flowers comes into spring with his bat back?

Pierre

Rios

Q

Dunn

Paulie

Beckham

Ramirez

Morel

Flowers

Flowers

Especially if he's allowed to bat twice! ;)

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)

They go financially head to head with teams in trades too. Not only is there an existing contract to take on, but there are players involved. As we have seen in other trades, a team can outbid the Sox for a player on the trade market, just like they can on the free agent market.