Granderson for EJax?

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
lol, for real. Anything short of a cy young next year is a failure.

And I could say the same for Hudson. Then you guys would just pull the 'NL' card. I wasn't trying to stir up a debate. As this appears to be pure speculation by Rogers. Just commenting on what a disaster of a move it would be.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
I've always wanted Granderson in a Sox uniform so I'll say thumbs up to the deal.

However I am alarmed at how much Grandy sucked this past season. He was not good.

I would love to make this deal and find a way to get a middle reliever for Pierre. Wouldn't some team, somewhere, take Juan Pierre off our hands? Please?

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but I think a part of the reason why Granderson kind of sucked the past two years is because he hasn't adjusted to the spotlight and pressures of playing in New York. I think a change of scenery for him, to a team where each player's move is not under a constant microscope, can help Granderson.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but I think a part of the reason why Granderson kind of sucked the past two years is because he hasn't adjusted to the spotlight and pressures of playing in New York. I think a change of scenery for him, to a team where each player's move is not under a constant microscope, can help Granderson.

Only one year in NY so far for Granderson

Granderson would be a waste. If we're going to go after a Yankee OF I'd rather check in on Brett Gardner. Something tells me the Yanks would still undervalue him.

Jackson alone though does really nothing for me. His power can be had cheaply through a DH which we need anyway. His ability to play CF we don't need, just a RF, and we can find something else on the trade market for cheaper if we can't find anything in FA. The name value I really don't care about, the speed is nice but it's not a top priority this offseason by any means, and it's not like he's cheap either. We're still going to win with pitching and defense if we win anything, so trading away Jackson accomplishes nothing other than weakening ourselves in that area substantially. Especially with rumors abound that Peavy may not be ready until pretty well into the 2011 season.

I really don't like the idea of trading any of our starters to be exact. I'm actually wondering why we need to trade any of them when we have so much money coming off the books. Yes I know there are raises due to a few players, but there are still bargains out there on the market, we just can't be squandering all our money on crap this time. It's one thing to talk about trading a starter for an uber talent like Upton who you can control for a long time, or Fielder who is a monster of a bat that would take our offense to a level we couldn't otherwise take it, but if we do it, let's make ourselves elite in one area and not average in 3. Let's make an improvement that we know is a HUGE improvement, otherwise we're just treading water at best.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Only one year in NY so far for Granderson

Ah, thanks for the correction. :)

I also think that, despite being a huge Granderson fan, that the Sox shouldn't trade Jackson this offseason.

I think Jackson would have more value for the Sox if they waited until they were out of contention by the trade deadline and trade Jackson to a contender for a couple pitching prospects, one of whom would be MLB-ready. Kind of like another Danks/Masset or Floyd/Gonzalez package.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)

I think this is a reasonable post. He might be one of those guys who sucks in NY.

If we are going to take a gamble on a guy having a bounce back year, I think Granderson could be that type of guy. Also it can't hurt to get somebody who used to play in the AL Central for karma's sake. Maybe he'll help change the mojo against Central teams. We sleepwalk vs. the Tigers, Twins and Royals and Tribe.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
I think this is a reasonable post. He might be one of those guys who sucks in NY.

If we are going to take a gamble on a guy having a bounce back year, I think Granderson could be that type of guy. Also it can't hurt to get somebody who used to play in the AL Central for karma's sake. Maybe he'll help change the mojo against Central teams. We sleepwalk vs. the Tigers, Twins and Royals and Tribe.

His stats don't agree with that at all. His numbers last year were virtually identical to Detroit in 2009, with the exception of the fact that he missed 30 games or so, just like he did in 2008.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
I've always wanted Granderson in a Sox uniform so I'll say thumbs up to the deal.

However I am alarmed at how much Grandy sucked this past season. He was not good.

I would love to make this deal and find a way to get a middle reliever for Pierre. Wouldn't some team, somewhere, take Juan Pierre off our hands? Please?

You do realize his 2010 season's numbers were very similar to Alex Rios'? He does K quite a bit, and has trouble with LHP, supposedly it got a little better about halfway through the season.

The trade to me would be very tempting, however, with Peavy's status in the air, I would have to see what the price is for another starter and be willing to pay it, before I trade one.