KW expects Peavy to begin season on DL

Steve9347

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/...2011-on-the-dl/

I’m preparing in my mind that this will be something that we take very slow and we’re very careful with, so that we can make sure we get a solid, healthy season out of him and not have him less than full strength and less than all he can be. I’m not looking at April in my mind, but he may surprise me.
Edited by Steve9347

I don't think anyone can pinpoint his exact recovery date right now. However, if it better to be conservative and to expect there to be delays. It wouldn't take too many delays before you are talking about a late May comeback. Right now the Sox are smart to not expect/count on Peavy.

Unfortunately that really hurts when you don't have any guys you can look to in the farm to help you until than. In retrospect it would be really nice to have Huddy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
I don't think anyone can pinpoint his exact recovery date right now. However, if it better to be conservative and to expect there to be delays. It wouldn't take too many delays before you are talking about a late May comeback. Right now the Sox are smart to not expect/count on Peavy.

Unfortunately that really hurts when you don't have any guys you can look to in the farm to help you until than. In retrospect it would be really nice to have Huddy.

Yes, but then we wouldn't have Edwin Jackson.

What's Freddy Garcia doing these days :ph34r:

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)

Would still be in the same spot because Huddy would just replace EJax, so either way, you have 4 starters and then Chris Sale/Tony Pena

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Good. Never thought I would happy to see a starter out longer with an injury, but if it means not wasting Sale in the 'pen, then I am down for it.

You'd prefer Sale starting & the Sox ace on the DL, than the ace in the rotation and Sale in the pen???

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)
You'd prefer Sale starting & the Sox ace on the DL, than the ace in the rotation and Sale in the pen???

I prefer the first scenario you mention. I am scared of this team using Sale in the bullpen and making him the closer just cause he's a great reliever when he can become a good starting pitcher. He's going to have to become a starter sooner than later, so go ahead and start that process now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)

I was going to write the same thing. I understand that many here would love to see Sale as a starter with the hight draft pick he was, but this team is better with a healthy Jake Peavy and Sale than Sale in the rotation and a question mark in the bullpen.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
Yeah. Sacrificing 1 month of an ace pitcher for the career of a potential future ace.

I don't see how one extra season of Sale in the bullpen at age 22 would sacrifice his entire career? You have the guy under your control for a good amount of time, he doesn't have to start right now. If he pitches 200 innings this year, will that help his career? I don't want him to be a reliever his entire career, but the move does not need to be made today.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
I don't see how one extra season of Sale in the bullpen at age 22 would sacrifice his entire career? You have the guy under your control for a good amount of time, he doesn't have to start right now. If he pitches 200 innings this year, will that help his career? I don't want him to be a reliever his entire career, but the move does not need to be made today.

This is the perfect time for the move to be made with the uncertainty with Peavy, Jackson likely being gone after this coming season, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
This is the perfect time for the move to be made with the uncertainty with Peavy, Jackson likely being gone after this coming season, etc.

That's a different argument and I can definitely see that point. I am just doubting that if he happens in pitch in the bullpen this year, his chances of ever being a great starter get thrown out the window.

Yeah I'm gonna have to go out on a limb and say Sale isn't ever going to be an ace. His potential in the rotation is not anywhere near 7 innings per game of what you see in the ninth. He would be good, but he'd be a step down from Danks IMO. Definitely can't shout "ACE!" on him. And I'm not hating either, I love Chris Sale. He's incredible.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 07:13 PM)
Yeah I'm gonna have to go out on a limb and say Sale isn't ever going to be an ace. His potential in the rotation is not anywhere near 7 innings per game of what you see in the ninth. He would be good, but he'd be a step down from Danks IMO. Definitely can't shout "ACE!" on him. And I'm not hating either, I love Chris Sale. He's incredible.

I think Sale has more potential than Danks as a starter. It's not like Danks is a 7 innings per game guy either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
If June really is true, Garcia will be back, and it will happen soon, I bet.

If that's really true, then I'm shocked KW would come out and say anything. How does he benefit from other teams knowing he's after a back of the rotation starter?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
If that's really true, then I'm shocked KW would come out and say anything. How does he benefit from other teams knowing he's after a back of the rotation starter?

To be fair, Kenny only talked about the start of the season. Bruce Levine said June. You might only need a fifth starter a few times in April.