Book thread part 78

southsider2k5

My mother bought a few books for #1 son and I. She thinks we read "weird books". I just finished The Killer Angels a nice work of historical fiction about the Battle of Gettysburg and started The Known World a slave narrative. Both are Pulitzer prize winners. #1 son is reading Gravity's Rainbow in-between Kafka short stories and Yeats poems. I guess my mom believes the latest Baldacci thriller would be better :lolhitting

I am waiting for my gf to finish The Padre Puzzle, a new fiction work set on South Padre Island.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
I enjoyed it up until the guy really got heavy into the social commentary. I loved the factual work, yawned at the rest.

The premise, as I felt it was, that we tell a heroic WASPY version of history and that is bad, did lend itself to that.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
My mother bought a few books for #1 son and I. She thinks we read "weird books". I just finished The Killer Angels a nice work of historical fiction about the Battle of Gettysburg and started The Known World a slave narrative. Both are Pulitzer prize winners. #1 son is reading Gravity's Rainbow in-between Kafka short stories and Yeats poems. I guess my mom believes the latest Baldacci thriller would be better :lolhitting

I am waiting for my gf to finish The Padre Puzzle, a new fiction work set on South Padre Island.

I read the Killer Angels for a history class in the 8th grade. Thought it was fantastic. Have it laying around here somewhere.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
I've been reading Keith Richards' Life on and off for about a month now.

Pretty interesting read for any Stones fan.

I am shocked that he can remember as many details as he can...the guy is a lot brighter than I anticipated.

I got it for Christmas and am looking forward to it.

I also got Freedom by Jonathan Franzen, An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin, and A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
The premise, as I felt it was, that we tell a heroic WASPY version of history and that is bad, did lend itself to that.

Eh, I have no interest in listening to wingers rant. I can appreciate the factual basis for history being wrong. The whole right wing conspiracy premise made my eyes lose weight from all of the rolling they were doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Love all the Shaara books (father and son) simply because I was forced by my dad and cousin to become a "Civil War buff."

Freedom by Franzen is excellent, to me, better than The Corrections.

List of books I'd like to read in 3 weeks when I go back to the States.

City of Thieves

The Help

Swamplandia!

Blood's a Rover

Last Night in Twisted River

Savages

I'd Know You Anywhere

Infinite Jest (will try again)

War & Peace (re-read)

The Surrendered

Rich Boy

The Imperfectionists

Matterhorn

One Day

Skippy Dies

The Invisible Bridge

Room

The Lonely Polygamist

Any more suggestions?

Just got back from visiting Corregidor Island and my g/f in the Philippines. Very interesting to learn more about the War in the Pacific/WW II.

just judging from your list caulfield you might like some norman rush or ken kalfus, if you ain't checked them before. maybe mortals and pu-239 and other stories, respectively. neither has a book as new as most on your list but they're both still active, publishing writers.

Edited by False Alarm