Is it time to tear down Wrigley?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
Actually it's 4th behind Rockford and Aurora. Might even be behind Joliet too.

Well it was 2nd largest not very long ago, plus Aurora is Naperville at this point. With the population boom in that area as well as the abundance of property available, thats where they could move it. Put Wrigley near an affluent, republican, easily accessible area and they would sell plenty of tickets.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
Well it was 2nd largest not very long ago, plus Aurora is Naperville at this point. With the population boom in that area as well as the abundance of property available, thats where they could move it. Put Wrigley near an affluent, republican, easily accessible area and they would sell plenty of tickets.

Not nearly as many as they do now. The Cubs aren't leaving Wrigleyville, except on a temporary basis.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Not nearly as many as they do now. The Cubs aren't leaving Wrigleyville, except on a temporary basis.

Oh I know, just saying that would be the most likely place IMO. I think their best bet is to tear down that old s***hole and build a state of the art "vintage-themed" park in its place.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
There is no way in hell that the Cubs are moving to Naperville.

Unless Ricketts uses that threat as leverage to get state financing for a new park.

And wouldn't that ring familiar?

Threatening to move to Naperville would get them no leverage with the state.

If they want to gain leverage with Illinois, they'll have to threaten a move to Gary, Indiana or Dubuque, Iowa

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
Oh I know, just saying that would be the most likely place IMO. I think their best bet is to tear down that old s***hole and build a state of the art "vintage-themed" park in its place.

Er, you guys realize, right, that the entire bleachers section is brand new? So there's no need to tear down that part of the stadium.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
Suburbs would not be good for the team and make them a redheaded step child of Chicago. I do think if they tore down and built a brand new stadium there, you would still have the fanbase occupying it as the allure is the neighborhood, bars, area and the Cubs as a team.

If the Cubs ever moved to the suburbs, I can just see them doing something similar to what the Angels did. Yea, I can just see it now...

the Chicago Cubs of Naperville

the Chicago Cubs of Arlington Heights

the Chicago Cubs of Gurnee

the Chicago Cubs of Aurora

the Chicago Cubs of Des Plaines

the Chicago Cubs of Wheaton

the Chicago Cubs of Winetka

the Chicago Cubs of Gary, Indiana

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)

That's my guess on what they will eventually do.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
Er, you guys realize, right, that the entire bleachers section is brand new? So there's no need to tear down that part of the stadium.

They did not rebuild the structure - they added up and back. So parts of that may indeed need to be re-done. Besides, that's the cheapest part to re-do, its a single level structure and not real big. The other 3/4 of the park is another story.

In fact, what they could do in the future, is rebuild all BUT the beachers and outfield, leaving the old school outfield as-is. Maybe just reinforce some things out there.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Threatening to move to Naperville would get them no leverage with the state.

If they want to gain leverage with Illinois, they'll have to threaten a move to Gary, Indiana or Dubuque, Iowa

Ricketts has no leverage and will never get leverage, at least before he has to totally renovate his park. Everyone knows the Cubs won't leave in the near future. The Cubs a few years ago hired the lady that was the brains behind the Fenway rehab. They wound up canning her when she told them the upper deck needed to be torn down and rebuilt.

They will do this renovation piecemeal and hope to get another 30 years out of Wrigley. By then who knows the lay of the land. A threat to leave might have legs. But not now.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
That's my guess on what they will eventually do.

They did not rebuild the structure - they added up and back. So parts of that may indeed need to be re-done. Besides, that's the cheapest part to re-do, its a single level structure and not real big. The other 3/4 of the park is another story.

In fact, what they could do in the future, is rebuild all BUT the beachers and outfield, leaving the old school outfield as-is. Maybe just reinforce some things out there.

They re did the entire bleacher section when they added rows.

n fact, what they could do in the future, is rebuild all BUT the beachers and outfield, leaving the old school outfield as-is. Maybe just reinforce some things out there.

This.

And keep the classic sign on the front of the park for the new one. Sounds like a good plan.