OBAMA/TRUMPCARE MEGATHREAD

Texsox

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
They set the price though, so I wouldn't call them middle men without control.

They negotiate pricing with customer base leverage, they sure as hell do not set it.

• 2 weeks later...

Conservatives Take A Hard Line On Obamacare Repeal, Putting GOP In A Bind

Conservatives in the House Freedom Caucus voted among themselves Monday night to band together and support only an Obamacare repeal that is at least as aggressive as a bill the House and Senate passed in 2015, putting GOP leaders in a bind with their conference and perhaps even threatening the possibility of passing a repeal.

The group of roughly 35 to 40 House conservatives voted to take this official position ― meaning it received the support of at least 80 percent of the members and is therefore supposed to be the position of all lawmakers in the group ― amid some GOP consternation that Republicans ought to focus more on repairing the law rather than repealing it, as well as amid heavy voter pressure in many districts to leave the law intact.

“If it’s less than the 2015 [bill], we will oppose it,” Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) told a small group of reporters Monday night.

Meadows added that the Freedom Caucus would encourage replacing Obamacare at the same time Congress repeals it but that if GOP leaders put the same 2015 reconciliation bill gutting major parts of Obamacare on the floor, conservatives in the group would support it.

The 2015 repeal bill removed the Medicaid expansion that is popular in many red states ― including among many Republican governors ― and repealed the individual and employer mandates. The bill also removed the law’s subsidies and the taxes that helped to pay for them. In short, it would disassemble Obamacare.

tl;dr the House Freedom Caucus is demanding basically a full repeal of Obamacare with little replacement. That action, which would include removing the Medicaid expansion, is DOA in the Senate unless they blow up the entire filibuster and even then there's a possibility it couldn't pass there and in the House.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
Conservatives Take A Hard Line On Obamacare Repeal, Putting GOP In A Bind

tl;dr the House Freedom Caucus is demanding basically a full repeal of Obamacare with little replacement. That action, which would include removing the Medicaid expansion, is DOA in the Senate unless they blow up the entire filibuster and even then there's a possibility it couldn't pass there and in the House.

I really doubt that Collins, Alexander and Paul will all go along with that in Senate, and would bet that it would not even pass the house.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
I really doubt that Collins, Alexander and Paul will all go along with that in Senate, and would bet that it would not even pass the house.

Collins and at least one other Rep. Senator whose name escapes me has said that they're a solid "no" on a Medicaid repeal.

• 3 weeks later...
“Just like Jesus said, ‘The poor will always be with us,’” he said. “There is a group of people that just don’t want health care and aren’t going to take care of themselves.”

Pressed on that point, [Congressman Roger Marshall, R-Kansas] shrugged.

“Just, like, homeless people. … I think just morally, spiritually, socially, [some people] just don’t want health care,” he said. “The Medicaid population, which is [on] a free credit card, as a group, do probably the least preventive medicine and taking care of themselves and eating healthy and exercising. And I’m not judging, I’m just saying socially that’s where they are. So there’s a group of people that even with unlimited access to health care are only going to use the emergency room when their arm is chopped off or when their pneumonia is so bad they get brought [into] the ER.”

https://www.statnews.com/2017/03/03/roger-m...nsas-obamacare/

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2017 -> 05:47 PM)

Sounds outrageous but there's an element of truth.

My wife works in labor & delivery and there's a constant stream of women on Medicaid who come in to give birth and haven't gone in for a single prenatal visit even though they're wouldn't be paying a penny out of pocket.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
"Some people don't want health care, therefore we should not even make it an option available to the poors" doesn't seem like the right conclusion to draw though.

He expresses opposition to the Medicaid expansion, but not Medicaid in general. But yes, that is true.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
What do you mean?

Taking off work can be difficult. There was a story last year of getting fired from her retail job for taking off too much time for pregnancy checkups.

Overall, medicaid has proven to improve health outcomes by improving access (sometimes by just reducing stress over medical expenses). There are always going to be cases, especially when dealing with extreme poverty, that are downright abuse or suboptimal behavior. But millions are on medicaid, and an overwhelming majority are using it as you'd expect.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
Taking off work can be difficult. There was a story last year of getting fired from her retail job for taking off too much time for pregnancy checkups.

Overall, medicaid has proven to improve health outcomes by improving access (sometimes by just reducing stress over medical expenses). There are always going to be cases, especially when dealing with extreme poverty, that are downright abuse or suboptimal behavior. But millions are on medicaid, and an overwhelming majority are using it as you'd expect.

Yes, I agree most people use the support properly and its a necessary program, but I think you underestimate how many people are lazy. The people I'm talking about aren't missing prenatal visits because they're slammed working 60+ hours a week and can't find a single day in 10 months to see a doctor. They're the ones who just don't care.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/06/house-...6B-PdB0.twitter

Based on my conversations with multiple sources close to the effort, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) had indicated to congressional staff that the prior House framework could see at least 10 million, and potentially up to 20 million, individuals losing employer-sponsored health insurance
Edited by StrangeSox

House GOP replacement plan is out. Largely terrible, it keeps pre existing conditions while eliminating the mandate which will lead to an individual market death spiral, and it ends the Medicaid expansion in 2020, which will throw about 15 million people as of today out of coverage.

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/838...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit: it appropriately renames the affordable Care act to the "American health Care act"

Also offers big tax deductions for healthcare CEOs because why not

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/8388...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 06:59 PM)
I see no way this doesnt increase premiums

Well how else are the GaGa Billionaires suppose to become Super Duper Mega Billionaires?

They keep throwing HSA out there like it's a good thing hoping all these people with very little money will be like "ok I will start saving now."

The rust belt people are gonna be pissed