OBAMA/TRUMPCARE MEGATHREAD

Texsox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
"We could have made a better health care plan if we had made the subsidies larger and done more to control drug prices."

"Replublicans reply: "if you can't afford health care you should get a better job - it's your failure. If you cost more than $2 million over a lifetime you don't deserve to be alive."

Frankly, yeah, you're ok with that if you've pushed a button for a R. The ACA could have been improved. Instead, we're going back to where we were in 2009 - 50 million uninsured, uninsurables, lifetime caps, plans that don't cover the things you actually get and you don't realize it until it's too late. They have been saying that for 10 years. They have been saying for 10 years that people on minimum wage jobs don't deserve health care coverage. People who get sick better have money already. They have said that over and over and over and over and over again. They had no interest in helping people access health care, their #1 priority was denying it to anyone who was undeserving.

So yeah, if you've voted for an R, you've been voting to deny health care entirely to 10s of millions of people. Not to fix any of the problems you might note, to go back to where we were in 2009 instead.

I missed the link where you quoted every Republican lawmaker of the past 10 years saying those exact things.

I would remind you once again of the millions of people who have lost health care since 2009, but you've proven over and over again that they don't exist in your world, so what's the point?

Talk about tone deaf...

Washington • On his way out of Congress, Rep. Jason Chaffetz gave many District of Columbia residents another reason to gripe Tuesday when he called for members of Congress to receive a housing stipend of up to $30,000 a year.

Chaffetz, R-Utah, who chaired the committee that has oversight of the nation's capital, said federal lawmakers have trouble stretching their $174,000 salaries to cover housing in Washington, which he called "one of the most expensive places in the world," and homes in their congressional districts.

"I really do believe Congress would be much better served if there was a housing allowance for members of Congress," Chaffetz told The Hill, which first reported his stipend proposal. "In today's climate, nobody's going to suggest or vote for a pay raise. But you shouldn't have to be among the wealthiest of Americans to serve properly in Congress."

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5450590-155/story.html

Just 17 Percent Of Americans Approve Of Republican Senate Health Care Bill

Americans broadly disapprove of the Senate GOP's health care bill, and they're unhappy with how Republicans are handling the efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, according to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll.

Just 17 percent of those surveyed say they approve of the Senate's health care plan, the Better Care Reconciliation Act. Fifty-five percent say they disapprove, while about a quarter said they hadn't heard enough about the proposal to have an opinion on it.

While Democratic opposition to the bill, as expected, is high, GOP support for the Senate GOP's plan is very soft. Twenty-one percent of Republicans oppose the bill and just 35 percent support it. Sixty-eight percent of independents also oppose the proposed legislation.

In fact, while many Americans want changes to the ACA, also known as Obamacare, they want it to be more far-reaching. A 46 percent plurality say they want to see the ACA do more, while just 7 percent want it to do less. Keeping the ACA and having it do less is essentially what GOP congressional plans are doing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 06:45 AM)
Talk about tone deaf...

Washington • On his way out of Congress, Rep. Jason Chaffetz gave many District of Columbia residents another reason to gripe Tuesday when he called for members of Congress to receive a housing stipend of up to $30,000 a year.

Chaffetz, R-Utah, who chaired the committee that has oversight of the nation's capital, said federal lawmakers have trouble stretching their $174,000 salaries to cover housing in Washington, which he called "one of the most expensive places in the world," and homes in their congressional districts.

"I really do believe Congress would be much better served if there was a housing allowance for members of Congress," Chaffetz told The Hill, which first reported his stipend proposal. "In today's climate, nobody's going to suggest or vote for a pay raise. But you shouldn't have to be among the wealthiest of Americans to serve properly in Congress."

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5450590-155/story.html

Somewhere along the lines of history, representatives started to feel like they should be living like kings. Being a public servant should NOT entitle you to fancy upscale housing in DC. This is not supposed to be a cushy job. You were elected for that position to represent your constituents. Not to live a life of luxury.

DC is super expensive and paying Rep's more would help attract candidates who aren't already wealthy or looking to quickly turn into lobbyists to become wealthy, at least theoretically. It's still really bad political optics, but I'm not sure how much that matters these days.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
DC is super expensive and paying Rep's more would help attract candidates who aren't already wealthy or looking to quickly turn into lobbyists to become wealthy, at least theoretically. It's still really bad political optics, but I'm not sure how much that matters these days.

Commuting 20-30 minutes out of DC to a more affordable area isnt too much to ask. You can EASILY live comfortably on that salary just out of the immediate DC area.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
pretty skeptical of all of these "no's" coming out after the vote was delayed, and we saw something similar happen in the House. But still, this is much, much better than 50 yes's for now.

We're just delaying the inevitable. Every day that goes by, the ACA is weakened in the eyes of insurers. Trump is writing the narrative.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
We're just delaying the inevitable. Every day that goes by, the ACA is weakened in the eyes of insurers. Trump is writing the narrative.

Still ascribing to Trump's Razor: the dumbest explanation is most likely the correct one. He's blindly stumbling around and by some accounts his PAC is responsible for pissing off enough Senators to get the vote pushed past this week by attacking Heller.

I do think this was will pass eventually, though, much like the House bill. I just think it'll be due to more aggressive arm-twisting than due to any grand, competent strategy from the GOP at this point.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Still ascribing to Trump's Razor: the dumbest explanation is most likely the correct one. He's blindly stumbling around and by some accounts his PAC is responsible for pissing off enough Senators to get the vote pushed past this week by attacking Heller.

I do think this was will pass eventually, though, much like the House bill. I just think it'll be due to more aggressive arm-twisting than due to any grand, competent strategy from the GOP at this point.

Yep. I dont think the party will allow dissention here. It's a gamble for sure long term.

Did I say 17% approval? I meant 12%.

Poll: Only 12% of Americans support the Senate health care plan

Just 12% of Americans support the Senate Republican health care plan, a new USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll finds, amid a roiling debate over whether the GOP will deliver on its signature promise to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act.

In the survey, taken Saturday through Tuesday, a 53% majority say Congress should either leave the law known as Obamacare alone or work to fix its problems while keeping its framework intact.

Storm clouds: Independents turn away from Trump while his base turns inward

essentially, everyone hates this bill except his dedicated base who's choosing to just ignore it.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)
Somewhere along the lines of history, representatives started to feel like they should be living like kings. Being a public servant should NOT entitle you to fancy upscale housing in DC. This is not supposed to be a cushy job. You were elected for that position to represent your constituents. Not to live a life of luxury.

Build them a dorm facility. Problem solved. If they stay there, housing is free.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
Build them a dorm facility. Problem solved. If they stay there, housing is free.

Just like the olden days...

The rest of working america is ok with commuting, some even flying every monday and then home every thursday. Why cant they? The public transportation system is pretty great in DC as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)

The rest of working america is ok with commuting, some even flying every monday and then home every thursday. Why cant they? The public transportation system is pretty great in DC as well.

IIRC Biden took Acela (Amtrak) to commute every day when he was in Congress

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)

Looks like the salary for Congress is $174k annually. That's a healthy salary, obviously.

You can't compare Biden riding the train in to the members of Congress from Alaska or Hawaii. And there's a legitimate argument to be made that some (not all) members of Congress necessarily have to maintain two households - one back in their home state/district and one in D.C. It's also (I think) fair to argue that we want Congress to be attractive to people to attract more and better candidates. A dorm or flying Monday to Thursday with a family is tough to pull off (and even flying Monday-Thursday, they would have to pay for the hotel - I doubt that's an expense that gets reimbursed, though I could be wrong).

I'm not arguing that Chaffetz is right about the poor members of Congress who need more $$ to subsidize their housing. He's not, and it's tone deaf to suggest that members of Congress need a $30k housing stipend when you are gutting healthcare. But I do think it's difficult for most of Congress to not maintain two households during their term.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)

I've got no problem offering them a cheap/no cost alternative for the job they do. If they want something fancy, then they can pay.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
I've got no problem offering them a cheap/no cost alternative for the job they do. If they want something fancy, then they can pay.

Agreed. If they want to move their families there and have a nice residence near good schools then they can commute from virginia.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 11:52 AM)
- Build dorm

- Force bipartisan roommates

- Film reality show

- Universal healthcare after as revenue pays for it

Now this I can get behind.

What happens when one Speaker of the House

[Enter Paul Ryan]

And another speaker of the House

[Enter Nancy Pelosi]....