OBAMA/TRUMPCARE MEGATHREAD

Texsox

I'm not surprised they relented on pressure to allow them to vote, but it could lead it's way to full defeat. I could see them calculating that officially voting it down was the only way for it to truly start over. As long as it wasn't voted down it wasn't ever dead.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
I'm not surprised they relented on pressure to allow them to vote, but it could lead it's way to full defeat. I could see them calculating that officially voting it down was the only way for it to truly start over. As long as it wasn't voted down it wasn't ever dead.

^ But we'll see. In the meantime, keep calling your Senators.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
He's a long-sitting and popular US Senator who can go on any news program or call a press conference that'll get coverage whenever he wants. He didn't need to do this at all. He wanted to.

Not like this. Not with the fanfare and the epic storyline of coming back for this vote, brain cancer, all of it. History was watching that moment in particular and he seized it. We'll see what it all means for him and America soon enough.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)

Dude, they just trucked a cancer patient across the country to make him vote to bring this to the floor and he did it.

They'll pass something in a couple weeks. Literally the only thing that will stop it is John McCain dying.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)
Sorry, the billionaires leaned on them, and in a plutocracy, that's all that matters.

Stop being fatalist. We've seen that people power can stop these votes. It's happened over and over again all year, thus far. Just keep doing the work, stop whining, and don't give up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
Dude, they just trucked a cancer patient across the country to make him vote to bring this to the floor and he did it.

They'll pass something in a couple weeks. Literally the only thing that will stop it is John McCain dying.

McCain says he's only staying a few days. It'll be quick, whatever happens.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)

Maybe, but I'll take the additional time.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
Not like this. Not with the fanfare and the epic storyline of coming back for this vote, brain cancer, all of it. History was watching that moment in particular and he seized it. We'll see what it all means for him and America soon enough.

The epic story line of coming back during brain cancer to kill tens of thousands of Americans a year and throw many more into financial destitution. A firm "NO" and a presser afterwards would have had an enormous impact.

He absolutely seized the moment, and he sealed his legacy as a craven scumbag.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Stop being fatalist. We've seen that people power can stop these votes. It's happened over and over again all year, thus far. Just keep doing the work, stop whining, and don't give up.

It's worked up until the point it doesn't. We stopped the House bill! Oh until they brought it back and passed it. We stopped the Senate bill, they don't even have 50 to proceed! Oh, until they did.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)

Oh my god....

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
The epic story line of coming back during brain cancer to kill tens of thousands of Americans a year and throw many more into financial destitution. A firm "NO" and a presser afterwards would have had an enormous impact.

He absolutely seized the moment, and he sealed his legacy as a craven scumbag.

Not yet. You must have been letting your anger blind you to that speech. If he ends up voting Yes on either of these terrible bills, or some version thereof, I'll be right with you.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:44 PM)
Who'd replace him? A Trump loyalist?

AZ governor would appoint a replacement to continue to the term until the next general election in the state, which is 2018, and that person would then finish out the rest of McCain's term until 2022.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
Not yet. You must have been letting your anger blind you to that speech. If he ends up voting Yes on either of these terrible bills, or some version thereof, I'll be right with you.

He voted yes to proceed when he was the deciding vote. He could have forced a return to regular order. Instead, like every other time in his life, he expressed his deep concerns about the thing he did anyway.

In fact, I tweeted about how disgusted I was by McCain. Then I heard that speech, and I'm withholding final judgment until we see how this plays out.

Y'all. I'm not OPTIMISTIC - don't misunderstand. I don't think McCain will actually do anything differently than he's done so far - but being so close to death can have a profound impact on people. We'll see what happens.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
He could have voted No today and stopped this dead in its tracks. Instead, he voted yes and then gave a speech lamenting the fact that he just voted yes. That's all the information I need to form my judgement.

Fixed.

And yes, I'll be out in the streets in DC tomorrow protesting and doing everything I can to stop this thing. But I've been going through a bit of an evolution over the last months, and I think a little level-headedness regarding things that easily stir up emotions and knee jerk reactions is important.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
That's not really much of a change but okay.

McCain's speech won't do or mean s***. His vote had the power, and he chose how to use it.

He has another vote.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
He has another vote.

He had a vote today and he chose to take a major step towards killing thousands of Americans a year and bankrupting many more. Him giving some speech decrying the very thing he just did is absolutely typical McCain, but it's not brave or bold or powerful.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
He had a vote today and he chose to take a major step towards killing thousands of Americans a year and bankrupting many more. Him giving some speech decrying the very thing he just did is absolutely typical McCain, but it's not brave or bold or powerful.

And it's people who never hold him accountable for his own actions that have created his "maverick" label. He plays them for suckers. Constantly.