OBAMA/TRUMPCARE MEGATHREAD

Texsox

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
The exchanges, which went online Tuesday morning, have been riddled with technical difficulties in states across the country. The administration has said that the glitches consumers are encountering will be ironed out by Tuesday afternoon.

If you believe this I have some Detroit municipal debt to sell you at par. GMAFB... This is why what the Republicans are doing is assinine. Let this get implemented and let it fail from its own weight.

So are you sure this doesn't have anything to do with millions of people trying to access the website at the same time because they're trying to sign up???

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
So are you sure this doesn't have anything to do with millions of people trying to access the website at the same time because they're trying to sign up???

I am referring to it being fixed tomorrow. I am sure it was overloaded. Not saying anything about the site or the service it offers. Something this large and complicated will be hard to fix in 24 hrs. That's all i was saying. I would feel the same for a comparable problem with a private company.

As an aside, I was watching the ABC news last night and they mentioned that these exchanges do not include the deductibles in the pricing of the plans....Is that true? And why would that be the case?

Edited by Cknolls

I can't really speak for others but when I look at my prices during open enrollment, I see nothing about deductibles, it just says the monthly cost for my premium. I don't really see why this would or should be any different. Almost nobody knows the ACTUAL price of their health insurance. It's a lot more than they actually pay. Ideally we wouldn't make businesses pay this and all pay into the same system but that's communist or something

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)
Not sure that flies. Depends on how the law is written, exact phraseology used.

So maybe not a sub, just a second company.

Would they stop someone from opening up a new company? There are legit applications for that. I remember when a small under 25 employee company I worked for branched out to contract manufacturing. We set up a new corporation because we did not wish to combine for competitive reasons.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
One thing I think we'll find in terms of "job-killing" by Obamacare is, there will be very little of that for corporations of significant size (say, a few hundred people or more, who already have infrastructure to handle the regs), or with 95% of small businesses (which are well under the 50 person mark). But what you will have, I believe, is a weird blip in the curve between about 40 and 100 people in a company. For those firms, the reg requirements and paperwork, as well as in some cases pure cost, will be difficult. That means some companies under 50 may aim to stay under 50 if at all possible, unless they are ready to make a big burst. And companies 50+ and less than a couple hundred will have huge burdens that may effect how many people they can employ.

The result of this is two-fold. First is the actual job losses (or more accurately, lack of jobs created), which hits in the short term. But in the long term, you are creating an artificial horizon, which essentially becomes a barrier to growth. Most large companies started very small, and at some point transited through the 50-100 people level. What will equivalent companies do now, when they approach that line? Some may decide to go on as normal. Others may hesitate. I doubt it will be 100% of either. But that sticky number becomes an impediment to growth.

This is not to say that makes ObamaCare totally invalid or all bad - it is just a subtle point I haven't seen discussed much, but which I think may cause issues down the road. We'll have to see if the good parts of the law outweigh the bad.

My uncle owns a company and he was right around 50 employees and let a couple go. My mom also works part time at a university and the university sent out a letter a couple weeks ago saying that they will essentially be cutting the allowable working hours of all part time employees (by as much as 50%) because of this as well. Anecdotal, but two vastly different businesses.

My friend paid $75.00 a month for healthcare same policy under Obamacare is $184.00 a month. She is single and her out of pocket pocket cost will go up 4000%. This is not what I call affordable healthcare. Obama lied his ass off.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
My friend paid $75.00 a month for healthcare same policy under Obamacare is $184.00 a month. She is single and her out of pocket pocket cost will go up 4000%. This is not what I call affordable healthcare. Obama lied his ass off.

Where was she getting major medical insurance for $75?

Amazon just announced they are hiring 70,000 full time employees in the US. It will affect some areas and have little or no longer term affect in others.

They're hiring a ton down here, but they're all seasonal. They hire a s***load of temps every year for the Christmas season.

$75->$184 is not 4000%?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Out-of-pocket costs wouldn't change if it was the same plan?

I think premiums are going to rise for a lot of younger people who (1) aren't offered insurance through an employer; (2) don't qualify for a subsidy; and (3) get by on what essentially amounts to a catastrophe plan right now. Those specific plans likely don't cover what is required to be covered by the ACA, and the rates will necessarily tick up because of the addition of those with pre-existing conditions to the exchanges. On the other hand, premiums should come down for a lot of people who either qualify for subsidies or who have pre-existing conditions.

I'm rooting for the ACA to succeed (mostly because I'm not sure there will ever be another time where there is the political will to change healthcare in this country for the better), but there will definitely be people who are adversely effected financially by this bill.

There will be lots of examples in both directions, but... seriously, where is anyone getting individual insurance of any kind for $75 a month?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
There will be lots of examples in both directions, but... seriously, where is anyone getting individual insurance of any kind for $75 a month?

I'm paying $90 for Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC individual insurance and I have a mid-level plan (Advantage B). If I went down to Advantage C, I bet I could hit $75/month.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Out-of-pocket costs wouldn't change if it was the same plan?

Her deductible and out of pocket went up 4000% for same coverage under Obamacare.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
Deductibles don't count. That's how a s*** sandwich tastes like a reuben.

They sure as hell count if you ever actually need to use your insurance.

I remember someone saying earlier that there was no shortage of doctors.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/health/obama...harebar_twitter

First 2 paragraphs:

Lexington, Kentucky (CNN) -- Obamacare is expected to increase patient demand for medical services. Combine that with a worsening shortage of doctors, and next year you may have to wait a little longer to get a doctor's appointment. And the crowded emergency room may become even more so.

There are approximately 48 million uninsured people in the United States. When the mandatory insurance rules of Obamacare kick in next year, and a couple dozen states expand who is eligible for Medicaid, you can bet more people are going to want to use their health benefits.