Yankees to offer 3 years $45 million to Jeter

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Like somebody said before, he has to do better than A-Rod, or something along those lines.

Jeter's ego is too large not to be fed with a long and expensive contract.

Good, let his ego think about that when he finishes his career in Baltimore.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
Jeter Talks Turn Ugly :lol: Keeps getting better.

Love this line:

The really baffling thing is that Jeter — through Close — has made his feelings public. For a decade, Jeter has stood apart from other players in that money has never been an issue. His expired 10-year, $189 million deal had no opt-out dates or escalator clauses

Never been about the money (for a guy making close to $200 million dollars before endorsement deals)!

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
Are you suggesting that players are worth the same regardless of city? And as soon as other factors are tossed in, on both sides, the dollar values change. Take something as easy as state income taxes. Playing half of your games in Texs, without a state income tax is worth something to a player. Living in New York, with it's cost of living, is different than living in Minneapolis with theirs. Then the marketing department gets involved. Some players will sell more tickets in one city than another.

Are you serious? Don't you think that is a bit laughable considering the amount of money most of the Yankees' star players make? I can understand if you're talking about a six-figure job, or even a low-seven figure job...but once you get into the eight-figures, the difference in living expenses is probably not making a huge dent in your overall compensation package.

If I were Cashman, I'd offer the 3/$45 and say take it or leave it. That's a fair amount of money, and any team that pays him above that amount would be overpaying themselves. What a joke.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 26, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Are you serious? Don't you think that is a bit laughable considering the amount of money most of the Yankees' star players make? I can understand if you're talking about a six-figure job, or even a low-seven figure job...but once you get into the eight-figures, the difference in living expenses is probably not making a huge dent in your overall compensation package.

If I were Cashman, I'd offer the 3/$45 and say take it or leave it. That's a fair amount of money, and any team that pays him above that amount would be overpaying themselves. What a joke.

Agreed wholeheartedly here. I really want the Yankees to stay at that offer and see Jeter beg for more money from other teams only to have to come back to the Yankees with tail between his legs accepting that offer. 6 yrs/$150 million my ass.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 26, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
Agreed wholeheartedly here. I really want the Yankees to stay at that offer and see Jeter beg for more money from other teams only to have to come back to the Yankees with tail between his legs accepting that offer. 6 yrs/$150 million my ass.

I'd start with the 3/45, and if they really asked for 6/150, I'd lower my offer to like 2/20.

I think the reason why he's doing this is simply because they gave A-Rod the world when no one else was going to and couldn't even if they wanted to. If they didn't overpay A-Rod, I'm sure Derek would be less crazy about his next contract. But they gave A-Rod a crazy base salary, incentives up the wazoo, and an ownership stake in the team. It's ridiculous what he got without having any leverage, and now Derek wants the love too.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 26, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
I think the reason why he's doing this is simply because they gave A-Rod the world when no one else was going to and couldn't even if they wanted to. If they didn't overpay A-Rod, I'm sure Derek would be less crazy about his next contract. But they gave A-Rod a crazy base salary, incentives up the wazoo, and an ownership stake in the team. It's ridiculous what he got without having any leverage, and now Derek wants the love too.

If Jeter is using ARod as him comparison, he is stupid. Look at the ages they were at the end of their respective contracts, and the seasons they put up. There would have been a market for Alex, while not what the Yankees paid, him, it still would have been 80-90% of what he got. Jeter probably would be lucky to get a third of what he is asking for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
If Jeter is using ARod as him comparison, he is stupid. Look at the ages they were at the end of their respective contracts, and the seasons they put up. There would have been a market for Alex, while not what the Yankees paid, him, it still would have been 80-90% of what he got. Jeter probably would be lucky to get a third of what he is asking for.

I agree it's stupid, but Derek probably sees it as "I've done so much more for the organization, done whatever you guys wanted, am your captain, I never went into FA before, done more than A-Rod, it's time to pay up". Yes, their ages are different, but I don't think Derek really is paying attention to that.

And I think A-Rod would get at most, 80% of what his last contract was and he definitely would not have gotten ownership stake in the team he signed with.

apparently this is what Jeter is asking for

per rotoworld

Derek Jeter-SS-Yankees Nov. 26 - 9:31 pm et

The New York Times' Michael S. Schmidt reports that Derek Jeter’s agent, Casey Close, is asking the Yankees for a four- or five-year deal worth $23-24 million per season.

Earlier reports had Close looking for a six-year, $150 million deal, which he denied. This is a little better, but it sounds like he's asking, at minimum, for $92 million over four years, which is one year and $47 million less than the Yankees' perfectly reasonable offer. We really can't see the Yanks budging much here, as Jeter simply isn't worth close to what his agent is wanting, no matter how much of an icon he is. Close is going to have to drop his demands significantly to get something done.

Source: The New York Times

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 07:20 AM)
I think Jeter's name alone would get him a bigger contract than the Yankees are offering him, but I don't think anyone really believes he would actually leave the Yankees, therefore will not get a legitimate offer.

From whom though?

I am trying to imagine Derek Jeter honestly being available as a FA. I suppose some team might offer more than the 3/$45 because of the media attention and short-term boost in revenues he could bring, but I really can't fathom him being worth any more than 3/$50 or 4/$60, and that contract has a real possibility of being a disaster, should Jeter see a sharp decline in his late-30's seasons...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
From whom though?

I am trying to imagine Derek Jeter honestly being available as a FA. I suppose some team might offer more than the 3/$45 because of the media attention and short-term boost in revenues he could bring, but I really can't fathom him being worth any more than 3/$50 or 4/$60, and that contract has a real possibility of being a disaster, should Jeter see a sharp decline in his late-30's seasons...

If I were Boston, I'd think the spite press would be worth 3/$50 or 4/$60 to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
If I were Boston, I'd think the spite press would be worth 3/$50 or 4/$60 to me.

I don't believe there would be much spite press there. Not like when the Red Sox could not make a deal for A-Rod and the Yankees swooped in. It has to be someone the Yankees really want.