DBacks acquire Zach Duke

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
Well, I agree with you, that he shouldn't be paid much and that he shouldn't pitch if we have all of the guys we have now. But what I was implying is that if we took him as a downgrade in the 5 slot, we might be able to trade a pitcher for a big bat, and end up better making the sacrifice.

But, yeah someone like AZ or Milwaukee might sign him for $2.5m.

Duke at $2.5 million? I can't see that.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)
I usually like the cheaper cereals anyway because they don't have as much sugar in them. Aside from that it seems they're the same stuff. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd rather have Oats 'N s*** for breakfast instead of like Sugar Rockets or whatever. And JMO, but I think it's all part of a wider conspiracy where the drug companies and cereal companies get together and find ways to get kids all f***ing batty in the morning so they can't sit still in class and later on end up all doped up on downers. I think Post gets kickbacks from like Pfizer and stuff. Not really. But maybe...

Nothing beats the difference between DayQuil/NyQuil and the Walgreens brand though. It's completely the same thing except the Walgreens brand is so much cheaper, and that's good for me because I love that stuff. I mean, you don't really have to be sick to drink it. You just shouldn't drink a lot of it. And you can't buy a lot of it either because then they think you're going to go cook up some meth. But you can even use it to make Flaming Homers apparently, although I've never tried that personally.

:lolhitting: I'd "Like" this. :lolhitting:

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
Duke had an era of more than a run higher than Garcia last season and that was in the National League, so ya apparently he can be much worse than Freddy.

The ERA was more or less a result of a horrible Pirates team with a horrible defense. His FIP was 4.95, only about .2 runs higher than Freddy's. Plus, you have to consider how unreliable Freddy might be in the future due to his injury issues. Hell, he broke down at the end of the season. I doubt we see that from Duke. For a 5th starter, Duke might be serviceable.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
I usually like the cheaper cereals anyway because they don't have as much sugar in them. Aside from that it seems they're the same stuff. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd rather have Oats 'N s*** for breakfast instead of like Sugar Rockets or whatever. And JMO, but I think it's all part of a wider conspiracy where the drug companies and cereal companies get together and find ways to get kids all f***ing batty in the morning so they can't sit still in class and later on end up all doped up on downers. I think Post gets kickbacks from like Pfizer and stuff. Not really. But maybe...

Nothing beats the difference between DayQuil/NyQuil and the Walgreens brand though. It's completely the same thing except the Walgreens brand is so much cheaper, and that's good for me because I love that stuff. I mean, you don't really have to be sick to drink it. You just shouldn't drink a lot of it. And you can't buy a lot of it either because then they think you're going to go cook up some meth. But you can even use it to make Flaming Homers apparently, although I've never tried that personally.

Epic doesn't even begin to describe this post. We should have just /thread right there.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)

Even with this news, the Sox still have Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Jackson, and eventually Peavy. They may still put Sale into the rotation, and if they did move a starter could bring back Freddy Garcia and/or give Tony Pena a chance to start.

The problem with trading a starter not named Buerhle is that the Sox are cash strapped - can they afford to trade Floyd for a guy making $10 million more a season? Can they add significant payroll in a trade for Floyd? Also, if they do trade Floyd, how strong is their rotation heading into next season? That is the strength of the team right now, but are they willing to trun the backend of the rotation into some flux?

It will be interesting to see if they are able to find a creative way to possibly move a starting pitcher for some other help, resign Konerko OR add another comparable hitter, decide what to do with Quentin, the catcher and closer spot all while keeping the payroll at/below last year.