Tigers sign Victor Martinez 4yr/$50m

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
Victor Martinez on the verge on signing with the Tigers.

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Serrano reports that Martinez's deal with Tigers will be for four years, $50 million, and that team outbid #RedSox, #WhiteSox, #Orioles,

With the money they had coming off the books and the net worth of their owner, you knew the Tigers were gonna make a big move or two. The Red Sox weren't gonna go near a 4-year deal with him. I wonder what the White Sox offered (if they really did).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
Victor Martinez on the verge on signing with the Tigers.

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Serrano reports that Martinez's deal with Tigers will be for four years, $50 million, and that team outbid #RedSox, #WhiteSox, #Orioles,

KW trying to get away from AJ, who I think is the backup plan here.

What day is the deadline to offer Arb?

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
The article that was referenced in the MLBTR post about the signing said he turned down 48/3 from us to take 50/4 from Detroit... Makes no sense if true.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/tige...r-martinez.html

That makes zero sense and anyway I don't believe that KW would offer him $16 million a season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
That makes zero sense and anyway I don't believe that KW would offer him $16 million a season.

Yeah, that's what didn't jive with me either. No way in hell would Kenny offer that much. I actually was shocked when I initially read we were in it period with the numbers that were floated. Didn't think Kenny would go over 10ish a year, if that.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
Any chance SOX just bluffed to get the price up so Tigers can sign Martinez but lose out on Dunn ?

No way. First I really doubt they made an offer anything like that. Second, if they did, they'd have to know there was a good chance the bluff would be called, so that wouldn't make any sense.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
The article that was referenced in the MLBTR post about the signing said he turned down 48/3 from us to take 50/4 from Detroit... Makes no sense if true.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/tige...r-martinez.html

That is just crazy. If we are going to offer that contract to anyone, I'd rather see it be Dunn than Martinez.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
???

And Dunn does?

Does he not? One of the best defensive DH available.

Joking of course. But hey, the White Sox have many needs, starting catcher being one of them, designated hitter/backup 1B being the other. I think what the poster had in mind is that Victor Martinez is not a catcher because of his defense, while Dunn could play 1B on a decent level?

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
Does he not? One of the best defensive DH available.

Joking of course. But hey, the White Sox have many needs, starting catcher being one of them, designated hitter/backup 1B being the other. I think what the poster had in mind is that Victor Martinez is not a catcher because of his defense, while Dunn could play 1B on a decent level?

We had the best one in the league last year.