• He Gawn

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday, December 2, 2010

WHITE SOX DECLINE TO TENDER 2011 CONTRACTS TO

BOBBY JENKS AND ERICK THREETS

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have declined to tender 2011 contracts to right-handed pitcher Bobby Jenks and left-hander Erick Threets.

Jenks, 29, went 1-1 with a career-high 4.44 ERA (26 ER/52.2 IP), 27 saves and 61 strikeouts in 55 games with the White Sox in 2010. He missed the final 27 games of the season due to ulnar neuritis in his right forearm.

Originally claimed off waivers from the Los Angeles Angels on December 17, 2004, Jenks was 14-18 with a 3.40 ERA (129 ER/341.2 IP), 334 strikeouts and 173 saves in six seasons with the Sox. He ranks second in franchise history in saves.

Threets, 29, was 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA (12.1 IP) in 11 relief appearances with the Sox last season before suffering a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow on August 27 vs. the Yankees. He was signed by Chicago as a free agent on December 11, 2009.

QUOTE (Big Daddy Kool @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday, December 2, 2010

WHITE SOX DECLINE TO TENDER 2011 CONTRACTS TO

BOBBY JENKS AND ERICK THREETS

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have declined to tender 2011 contracts to right-handed pitcher Bobby Jenks and left-hander Erick Threets.

Jenks, 29, went 1-1 with a career-high 4.44 ERA (26 ER/52.2 IP), 27 saves and 61 strikeouts in 55 games with the White Sox in 2010. He missed the final 27 games of the season due to ulnar neuritis in his right forearm.

Originally claimed off waivers from the Los Angeles Angels on December 17, 2004, Jenks was 14-18 with a 3.40 ERA (129 ER/341.2 IP), 334 strikeouts and 173 saves in six seasons with the Sox. He ranks second in franchise history in saves.

Threets, 29, was 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA (12.1 IP) in 11 relief appearances with the Sox last season before suffering a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow on August 27 vs. the Yankees. He was signed by Chicago as a free agent on December 11, 2009.

Notice his career high ERA was mentioned almost immediately.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
Bobby, thanks for

your time with the Sox. I wish you the

best except for when you face us

again. Jeff Bagwell never stood a chance

against you in game 1. I love you

Greg

I had to check twice to see if Dylan wrote this. :lolhitting

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
Really fathom, you had to go here first?

Actually, it was what I actually thought of him, and it was a shout out to greg for his love of Jenks. The Jenks vs Bagwell at bat in game 1 was the closest thing to Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn that I've ever seen.

I'm glad that they cut ties with Jenks (thank you for 2005), but I hope that they don't go into this year with a closer by committee approach. If Sale isn't a starter, I would think he would be a good option. Who would the White Sox realistically bring in to close from another organization and who is a realistic (and not a pipe dream) free agent that the Sox would bring in?

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
I'm glad that they cut ties with Jenks (thank you for 2005), but I hope that they don't go into this year with a closer by committee approach. If Sale isn't a starter, I would think he would be a good option. Who would the White Sox realistically bring in to close from another organization and who is a realistic (and not a pipe dream) free agent that the Sox would bring in?

Thornton's going to be the closer.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)

Outside of the org, and outside of trading options, Rafael Soriano, JJ Putz, Mariano Rivera, Octavio Dotel, Kevin Gregg, Jon Rauch, Brian Fuentes, Manny Corpas, Kerry Wood, Trevor Hoffman are some names that exist on the FA market.

Very few of them are reasonable or very good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
The issue with this is...what do we do with Ozzie's usual desire for 2 lefty setup men in the bullpen.

As much as I don't want to see it, Sale very well might be in the plans to start the season there. I wouldn't count out Leesman as being next in line, as well as maybe a low-level FA signing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
The issue with this is...what do we do with Ozzie's usual desire for 2 lefty setup men in the bullpen.

More to the point, what do we do without the ability to use Thornton in high-leverage spots? We're shooting ourselves in the foot by putting Matt in the spot, without another viable bullpen arm.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
I think he'd be very good, and heck, a move to closer might help his arm out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)

John Heyman from SI.

with jenks nontendered, matt thornton may close for #chisox. chris sale may start to start yr. but theyre trying for putz. (made $5 mil bid)