56 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Bobby Jenks?

• Keep Him
    • He Gawn

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
I'm glad that they cut ties with Jenks (thank you for 2005), but I hope that they don't go into this year with a closer by committee approach. If Sale isn't a starter, I would think he would be a good option. Who would the White Sox realistically bring in to close from another organization and who is a realistic (and not a pipe dream) free agent that the Sox would bring in?

Closer's are just quality bullpen arms assigned to the 9th inning. How many big free agent closer contracts have really worked out? The most important thing is to gather quality arms in the pen, whoever closes, I could care less. Not that this is an easy thing, but give me 5 Matt Thorntons in the pen and let which ever one you feel like close the damn game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
$5-6 mill should be about the amount it is going to cost per year to get Putz. It's a matter of whether the Sox will let him close and how many years they are willing to go.

I think Putz is a guy you let the market dictate the terms then decide if you want to match or not. No doubt hes a quality arm, durability is a bit of a factor, but he can definitely work the 7th/8th/9th and shut it down. If someone wants to give him 3/18 you probably say goodbye. If someone wants to give him 2/10, you prolly match right. If less, even better.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
More to the point, what do we do without the ability to use Thornton in high-leverage spots? We're shooting ourselves in the foot by putting Matt in the spot, without another viable bullpen arm.

100% agree, this is an absolute crucial point. If the sox want Thornton to close, fine by me, but you better find a suitable replacement for the 7th/8th. You simply can not win ballgames without a multitude of quality "go to" arms in the pen. And any baseball betting man will back that up.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 04:28 AM)
It's still amazing the Sox won with him as the closer in 2005, Bobby get it together and go pitch in the NL West.

Not amazing at all. He was great. Do you think he'll be a Cub?

Edited by greg775