NFL To LA Rumors Heat up Again

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)
That is the Vikings argument, we bring in a lot of money to the state, you should help to foot the bill for the stadium construction.

Im not sure if Minnesota will give in, I think they are broke and unfortunately did not use any of the money for the Twins/Gophers to help the Vikings. As a Bears fan it wont be as fun without the Vikings, as presumably the new LA team would go to the NFC West and STL would move the NFC North.

The only rivalry I really care about is the Packers, if STL moved into the NFC North (which is the logical thing to do) the Vikings are pretty disposable as far as I'm concerned. I'd just learn to hate the Rams.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Its not about the NFL, its about the owners and the state. Minnesota has made some decisions that really make no sense. They built a new stadium for the Twins and the Gophers, but they left the Vikings in the Metrodome. If LA or another city comes calling and offers money to build a stadium, why would the Vikings stay?

You cant just point to the Jaguars and fans, because that isnt the issue. The issue is a new facility, and the Jaguars stadium is relatively new. Also the Jaguars likely owe money on the stadium or have a long term lease, so its not financially viable. Whereas the Vikings lease ends in 2011 so they wont have to pay any damages for breach.

why didnt the Vikings and Gophers just build a joint stadium for the two of them. wouldnt that have made more economical sense?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
why didnt the Vikings and Gophers just build a joint stadium for the two of them. wouldnt that have made more economical sense?

Originally there was a proposal to do that, but the stadium itself would have been more expensive (probably would have had to be a dome to operate more in the winter). TCF cost under $200 million, the cost for a joint stadium would have been about $300-$500 million, so the joint option was voted down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Artists renderings of a proposed nearly $1 billion stadium that would fit in as part of the LA Live complex just south of downtown L.A.

Hopefully that link works.

What a TERRIBLE location for the stadium. The traffic it would cause would be insane, parking would be ridiculous. They'd have to build a stadium and a subway line to get there. The LA Live area is so cramped up as is....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Originally there was a proposal to do that, but the stadium itself would have been more expensive (probably would have had to be a dome to operate more in the winter). TCF cost under $200 million, the cost for a joint stadium would have been about $300-$500 million, so the joint option was voted down.

What I dont understand is why they decided to vote down one stadium worth $500 million, and that opened up the possibility of TWO stadiums that combined would cost well over $500 million. BRILLIANT!

So if the Vikings left for LA, you'd have to take them out of the North, and put them in the West. I think you'd have to swap them with the Rams since they're the closest to the midwest (Hey, if Dallas can be considered "East" then St. Louis can be considered "North")

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
It was also extremely shortsighted to give the Twins a stadium before the Vikings.

Baseball franchises are much less in demand than football franchises. It was unlikely the Twins could find a new home or threaten to leave.

Contraction would have been an option.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
So if the Vikings left for LA, you'd have to take them out of the North, and put them in the West. I think you'd have to swap them with the Rams since they're the closest to the midwest (Hey, if Dallas can be considered "East" then St. Louis can be considered "North")

It might make sense, but they wouldn't "have" to do anything. The Arizona Cardinals played in the NFC East for like 15 years while New Orleans and Atlanta were in the West and Tampa was in the Central. I would like to see the Rams in the Bears division though.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
could they "renovate" TCF Bank Stadium for $50-100 million to make it acceptable for the Vikings to call home? I know the seating can be expanded, but I didn't know about suites and things like that.

According to Wikipedia it was designed to be capable of expansion up to holding 80,000 which would probably make it an acceptable option...but the alcohol prohibition on campus is probably your biggest issue.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
According to Wikipedia it was designed to be capable of expansion up to holding 80,000 which would probably make it an acceptable option...but the alcohol prohibition on campus is probably your biggest issue.

ohhh, yea that would be a problem.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
When the Bears were in Champaign, they were quick to revise the liquor laws in whatever way the Bears wanted.

From my reading, the Gophers have actually made a couple attempts to get the Legislature to loosen the alcohol laws at the stadium, to allow skyboxes or alumni seats that are allowed to serve, and the Legislature responded by passing the outright ban on consumption there.

Dear Minnesota legislature:

Option #1 - Expand TCF stadium, update the field for heating, add luxury boxes, relax the alcohol ban for pro sports there.

Option #2 - Build a new stadium for the Vikings that will cost twice as much.

Option #3 - INTRODUCING, YOUUUUR L.A. VIKINGS!!!!

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
Dear Minnesota legislature:

Option #1 - Expand TCF stadium, update the field for heating, add luxury boxes, relax the alcohol ban for pro sports there.

Option #2 - Build a new stadium for the Vikings that will cost twice as much.

Option #3 - INTRODUCING, YOUUUUR L.A. VIKINGS!!!!

Dear Knightni:

Solve our $6.2 billion (and growing) budget deficit and we'll take care of the Vikings.

Sincerely; the Minnesota state legislature.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
Dear Knightni:

Solve our $6.2 billion (and growing) budget deficit and we'll take care of the Vikings.

Sincerely; the Minnesota state legislature.

Dear Legislature:

Have Al Franken convince Congress to send the state grant money.

If he does the Stuart Smalley bit, even Boehner will cry and give in.

Plus, the Vikings have a value of $531mil per year to the state.