Lee or Konerko?

chw42

Who would you sign?   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you sign?

• Konerko
    • Lee
    • Other

There was a lot of stuff in the Dunn thread about this topic, thought I'd make a poll about.

Lee had a bad year, he might have played hurt, but he was pretty good down the stretch. He's got a plus glove and he's very likely to bounce-back with a .850+ OPS season. If he does that, he's probably 3-4 WAR player and he can't be that expensive. $5-6 million for a year might be enough to get him.

Konerko, on the other hand, is coming off a career year, a year that he's most likely not going to replicate. He's not getting any younger either. If you sign him now to a 3 year deal at $12 million a year, he's most likely not going to get you back the money you pay him back in value.

Either way, I think the two are going to have pretty similar careers from here on out offensively, with Lee being a better defender. I think the Sox just need a stop-gap 1B until Viciedo can fully step into the role a year or two from now.

Plus, since Lee will be cheaper, the remaining cash can go to Putz/A.J., making this team pretty much complete for next season.

Thoughts?

Edited by chw42

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Paulie is the definitive answer here. While they're both gambles to a certain extent, Lee did NOT have a good year last year. Paulie's important to the fan base and (probably) the structure of the clubhouse. He's much more of a known quantity.

Paulie, for my money.

Lee.

-Less $ commitment

-Better offensive player in recent history (not just last year, 3-4 year range)

-Better defensive player

-Two draft picks when Konerko signs elsewhere

-At least one, possibly two draft picks if we get Lee on a 1-year deal to rebuild his value and he does in fact rebound

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
Carlos Pena. Seriously. I think last year was an outlier for him. I would easily go 2 years on Pena before Konerko.

Pena's Line Drive rate, percent of pitches swung at outside the zone:

08: 18.0%, 20.8%

09: 16.8%, 23.5%

10: 14.5%, 26.6%

He's not hitting the ball as hard anymore, and plate discipline is getting worse. Troublesome trend, that. I'd avoid, especially after we've secured left-handed power bat in Dunn.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
Pena's Line Drive rate, percent of pitches swung at outside the zone:

08: 18.0%, 20.8%

09: 16.8%, 23.5%

10: 14.5%, 26.6%

He's not hitting the ball as hard anymore, and plate discipline is getting worse. Troublesome trend, that. I'd avoid, especially after we've secured left-handed power bat in Dunn.

Yeah I knew about those numbers. I dunno I admit I'm a sucker for the LH stick that is basically a 3 true outcomes hitter. I just think that Pena might be able to be got on the cheap while all of Konerko's numbers were above his career averages.

Give me Lee for 1 yr/7mill deal, than use the savings with Putz and other bullpen guys.

Lee just makes so much sense, he's one of the top defenders at 1b, will come at a decent price, and will probably match or be right around what Konerko will give you without the hefty contract.

Even if JR told KW to go for it, and gave him a $115 mill payroll, signing Dunn and Konerko still leaves too much left to be done with the remaining cash. Lee is a much better investment.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Screw DLee, I don't pay the players directly so give me Paulie. If they signed Lee over Paulie to save some bucks I'd be upset. Pay the Man.

You'd be upset, but the team would be worse considering the consequences of "paying the man". I'll take you being upset.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 07:25 PM)
Give me Lee for 1 yr/7mill deal, than use the savings with Putz and other bullpen guys.

Lee just makes so much sense, he's one of the top defenders at 1b, will come at a decent price, and will probably match or be right around what Konerko will give you without the hefty contract.

Even if JR told KW to go for it, and gave him a $115 mill payroll, signing Dunn and Konerko still leaves too much left to be done with the remaining cash. Lee is a much better investment.

Whats to say he doesn't say I'll give you a $115 million payroll but only for Konerko. I think that is more likely. JR loves Paulie.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
Whats to say he doesn't say I'll give you a $115 million payroll but only for Konerko. I think that is more likely. JR loves Paulie.

Well that's a ridiculous business decision and JR should know that.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
Carlos Pena. Seriously. I think last year was an outlier for him. I would easily go 2 years on Pena before Konerko.

Can you imagine the amount of Ks between Pena and Dunn? They're a bit too similar.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
Well that's a ridiculous business decision and JR should know that.

You really think it would be a ridiculous business decision if Kenny came up to Jerry and said we can sign Derek Lee or if you are willing to give me 5 or 6 extra million we can have Konerko, and JR decided to pay the extra for Konerko who has been a model employee for the last ten years?

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
You really think it would be a ridiculous business decision if Kenny came up to Jerry and said we can sign Derek Lee or if you are willing to give me 5 or 6 extra million we can have Konerko, and JR decided to pay the extra for Konerko who has been a model employee for the last ten years?

If you're talking 1 yr contracts, than your difference is right. But no, you're talking about 35 yr old, injury susceptible players with a difference of probably $25 million or more in guaranteed money.

So yes, I do find it ridiculous considering what could be done with that money.

Konerko has been great for this organization, but if letting him sign elsewhere means a much greater chance at getting back to the WS, I'm all for it. No player to me is above the team.