Lee or Konerko?

chw42

Who would you sign?   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you sign?

• Konerko
    • Lee
    • Other

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
If you're talking 1 yr contracts, than your difference is right. But no, you're talking about 35 yr old, injury susceptible players with a difference of probably $25 million or more in guaranteed money.

So yes, I do find it ridiculous considering what could be done with that money.

Konerko has been great for this organization, but if letting him sign elsewhere means a much greater chance at getting back to the WS, I'm all for it. No player to me is above the team.

I agree here but I don't think a 2 year deal will kill the Sox and I believe Reinsdorf may be willing to pick up the difference if it's for PK. He seems to be the kind of guy that will spend if it means keeping around a loyal, and still productive employee.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
I agree here but I don't think a 2 year deal will kill the Sox and I believe Reinsdorf may be willing to pick up the difference if it's for PK. He seems to be the kind of guy that will spend if it means keeping around a loyal, and still productive employee.

It may not kill the Sox, but it's not a smart business or baseball decision. An extra $25 million in guaranteed money to a 35 yr old, high injury risk player is just a bad move all around (I would be saying this with or without Dunn).

Basically, both players will give you equivalent amount of worth, especially after defense is taken into account, plus you get a draft pick from Konerko signing elsewhere, plus you don't have the risk of giving a 35 yr old player that kind of money, plus DLee is a standup individual and a good teammate from many accounts.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
It may not kill the Sox, but it's not a smart business or baseball decision. An extra $25 million in guaranteed money to a 35 yr old, high injury risk player is just a bad move all around (I would be saying this with or without Dunn).

Basically, both players will give you equivalent amount of worth, especially after defense is taken into account, plus you get a draft pick from Konerko signing elsewhere, plus you don't have the risk of giving a 35 yr old player that kind of money, plus DLee is a standup individual and a good teammate from many accounts.

You may be right, but I'm not the Owner so it's not my money. I'm just a fan. I'd rather see Konerko in our jersey. Just get the feeling that with Dunn here now that JR will spend to keep PK. I have no say on how or why the sox spend the money so I'll just leave it at that.

Edited by kjshoe04

Love me some PK but last season kind of came out of nowhere. If you sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal chances are you'll never see anything even close to last season. A mediocre PK season is equal to a mediocre DLee season, for a whole lot less money. Outside of '06, last season was a career year for Paulie. At 35, you just can't count on much more of that.

Giving just a raw comparison I want Konerko, add the semantics I want DLee. That means I assume Konerko costs $12M per year on a multiyear deal and DLee costs similar to what Vlad and Matsui got in 2010, about 1 year $5-$6M. If I sign DLee I receive 2 draft picks from where ever Konerko signs. DLee is a plus defender and most likely in line for a bounce back year giving he will play in a better lineup and stadium. Ill take DLee, my draft picks, and my $6M savings to reinvest in other players.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
Lee.

-Less $ commitment

-Better offensive player in recent history (not just last year, 3-4 year range)

-Better defensive player

-Two draft picks when Konerko signs elsewhere

-At least one, possibly two draft picks if we get Lee on a 1-year deal to rebuild his value and he does in fact rebound

Because of the years and money, I would go with Lee for the chance at a bounce back year, plus money to sign other players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
It is also something that has been done on a regular basis by JR and the ownership group.

Who have the Sox given large contracts to even though there were comparable players on the FA market for substantially less, just because of Sox loyalty? I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened but I'm curious which previous situation is really anything like this one.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
Who have the Sox given large contracts to even though there were comparable players on the FA market for substantially less, just because of Sox loyalty? I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened but I'm curious which previous situation is really anything like this one.

I was referring to the Sox expanding the payroll, but only for a one player move. The Peavy deal was a special exemption granted by JR, which only applied to the Peavy trade. Kenny didn't have the authority to go out and spend it on anyone else.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
The more and more I think about this, the more it's becoming a no brainer. Derrick Lee is the better investment overall, no question.

Does anyone know what Lee's preferences are for this year? In terms of where he'd like to play?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)
The more and more I think about this, the more it's becoming a no brainer. Derrick Lee is the better investment overall, no question.

I agree, if we're looking at say 1/$7 with an option and a low buyout on Lee vs. multiple years at $13M or so for Paulie. I think Lee has just as good of a chance at rebounding as Paulie does of regressing, and in the end they may be close enough to make Lee look like the steal.

I'm not going to be mad though if PK comes back, far from it, but I really, really, really don't want us to lose more pitching to do it, and it kind of looks like that's the only way.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
Is there anything new on the LaRoche front? What about him instead of D-Lee?

LaRoche is a bit too inconsistent for my liking over the course of an entire season (I'd take him at the deadline though). Plus, his defense kind of sucks.

Konerko and I think the Sox are willing to pay to win.

How many more chances does Jerry have at winning? My guess is he has played it safe with using Sox money over his reign, so its a lot easier to pitch spending money on a few years for the hope of a title. Konerko has been nothing but great for the Sox and has represented their brand well. If you are going to take a risk, you may as well take a risk on the guy who already has made you money.

I think they sign Konerko, sign a guy for the bullpen and call it a day.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
LaRoche is a bit too inconsistent for my liking over the course of an entire season (I'd take him at the deadline though). Plus, his defense kind of sucks.

I didn't know that. Just knew he was lefty and had a solid stick. Cross him off then. One terrible defensive one bagger is enough.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
Didn't KW say something about how he wanted to deal with PK first and then A.J.?

If that's the case, shouldn't the A.J. signing mean that the PK ship has kind of sailed?

That was just speculation from the media or from sources. They also might have been holding AJ at bay a bit and then he forced their hand a bit with the Blue Jays nonsense.