chw42

Who would you sign?   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you sign?

• Konerko
    • Lee
    • Other

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Didn't KW say something about how he wanted to deal with PK first and then A.J.?

If that's the case, shouldn't the A.J. signing mean that the PK ship has kind of sailed?

Did KW actually say that or was that just speculated by some columnist?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
LaRoche is a bit too inconsistent for my liking over the course of an entire season (I'd take him at the deadline though). Plus, his defense kind of sucks.

Plus, we already have a lefty at 1b/DH, C, LF. I don't know if we would need another power lefty bat anyway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Do you think up to this point that the Sox have had more conversation with Konerko or DLee?

According to some writer, Konerko's agent hasn't even spoken with the Sox yet and won't until the winter meetings. I'd imagine that KW, giving his due diligence, has to have atleast had some sort of feeler out for what DLee is looking for.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
Love me some PK but last season kind of came out of nowhere. If you sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal chances are you'll never see anything even close to last season. A mediocre PK season is equal to a mediocre DLee season, for a whole lot less money. Outside of '06, last season was a career year for Paulie. At 35, you just can't count on much more of that.

Not really. Konerko was fully healthy for the first time in a LONG while, hence the monster numbers. If you look at his career numbers, all his down years correlate with injury woes.

The nice thing is there are several options at first base, some better than others, but still several solid choices to choose from. I would be very hesitant in the long run... which is the ultimate goal for any business/franchise. People are throwing around the idea of a large commitment to konerko, on top of two huge commitments to rios and dunn? The sox have one of the biggest question marks in the game with all things considered in peavy. Peavy is guaranteed 33 million over the next two years to be nothing more than what i already mentioned, a question mark. A smart move has to be made.

A smart move, in my opinion, is not retaining a player at 10+ million for 3 years, given our situation. Floyd/ danks will eventually get paid, and get paid well, soon. Let's say quentin just so happens to tear the cover off the ball (one of the leagues bests) this up coming season. Unrealistic? Yes, probably. Beyond belief? No. But the man would be paid, and he would be paid by the white sox. These things have to be considered.

There is a ton of money potentially locked up in only a select few. One or two more long term, extremely expensive contracts, over the next two seasons will be enough to cripple this team for many years to come. I see someone coming in on a one year deal, and there very well could/will be an option for a second year. If not, a straight up two year deal can not be written out of the equation for whoever is brought in.

I'm not against what happened today, i'm all for it, but what people have to remember is there will always be three sides to every story ever told.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 01:42 AM)
The nice thing is there are several options at first base, some better than others, but still several solid choices to choose from. I would be very hesitant in the long run... which is the ultimate goal for any business/franchise. People are throwing around the idea of a large commitment to konerko, on top of two huge commitments to rios and dunn? The sox have one of the biggest question marks in the game with all things considered in peavy. Peavy is guaranteed 33 million over the next two years to be nothing more than what i already mentioned, a question mark. A smart move has to be made.

A smart move, in my opinion, is not retaining a player at 10+ million for 3 years, given our situation. Floyd/ danks will eventually get paid, and get paid well, soon. Let's say quentin just so happens to tear the cover off the ball (one of the leagues bests) this up coming season. Unrealistic? Yes, probably. Beyond belief? No. But the man would be paid, and he would be paid by the white sox. These things have to be considered.

There is a ton of money potentially locked up in only a select few. One or two more long term, extremely expensive contracts, over the next two seasons will be enough to cripple this team for many years to come. I see someone coming in on a one year deal, and there very well could/will be an option for a second year. If not, a straight up two year deal can not be written out of the equation for whoever is brought in.

I'm not against what happened today, i'm all for it, but what people have to remember is there will always be three sides to every story ever told.

You really needs to stop disappearing for months at a time.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 02:42 AM)

The key is to stay out of the deals that you can't unload down the line should you need to. Big contracts, in and of themselves, are not necessarily terrible, and I don't think Dunn's deal will prove to be trouble at all. However, as you alluded to, too many of them and you're going to get burned sooner or later.

We've done a very good job of this until the Peavy contract, which we did not offer him, but obviously we assumed by acquiring him. I just hope we don't duplicate this problem by getting too aggressive with PK.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
Carlos Pena. Seriously. I think last year was an outlier for him. I would easily go 2 years on Pena before Konerko.

I don't understand how anybody would want Pena on our team.

Konerko over Lee.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 01:42 AM)

But when you really have to extend Danks and Floyd, chances are Buerhle, Jackson and Peavy will be off the books. It doesn't help that guys like Jordan Danks and Flowers appear to be close to useless. Hopefully Mitchell can play over his injury. I don't think the Sox should go 3 years with Konerko.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 06:52 AM)
Exactly my thoughts since money doesn't appear to be an issue.

It will be in the long run. Committing almost $45 million of your payroll on 3 players for the next 2-3 years isn't a good idea, especially when one of them is 35 and the other just came off a terrible injury.

Besides the fact that D.Lee is one whole year older, everything else is in his favor. He's got a higher career ops, much better defender, better athlete and will make much less money on this upcoming contract and once again, this is a real easy decision imo. The fact that Derrek had a bad first half of last season while battling some injuries doesn't change that fact.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
Besides the fact that D.Lee is one whole year older, everything else is in his favor. He's got a higher career ops, much better defender, better athlete and will make much less money on this upcoming contract and once again, this is a real easy decision imo. The fact that Derrek had a bad first half of last season while battling some injuries doesn't change that fact.

I really like the idea of Dlee. I don't know what his long-term health outlook looks like, but if he's fine than I'm ok with him on a 2yr deal worth 14-20M in guaranteed plus some incentives. I think it would be foolish to assume he's going to get half of what Konerko gets in general. It isn't like Lee is some scrub. I think a lot of you suggesting we can get him at 5 to 6M are severley underestimating his value. I could be wrong though, but he's been pretty productive the past few seasons and has been relatively healthy over his career.

If he ends up with 5 to 6 per season, its because not enough teams are in the market for a 1st baseman and he ends up having to take less, but he'd look damn good at 1B. If we had an option of Paulie and no relievers or DLee at a few mill less plus an added arm to our pen, I'll go Dlee.

I believed the hype about Lee and his defense but I honestly just don't see it. Konerko is very good at recieving throws and handles pop ups well. He has an excellent arm, is sure handed but has limited range. Konerko has a better bat. It's all Paulie. Lee peaked in '03 against the cubs. I'll be forever grateful for that but I don't want him. Pena? Nope.

QUOTE (since56 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
I believed the hype about Lee and his defense but I honestly just don't see it. Konerko is very good at recieving throws and handles pop ups well. He has an excellent arm, is sure handed but has limited range. Konerko has a better bat. It's all Paulie. Lee peaked in '03 against the cubs. I'll be forever grateful for that but I don't want him. Pena? Nope.

Lee's best year by far was 2005 and he put up an OPS of .972 just two years ago.

I'm in the camp that we have to replace that RH reliever somehow...beyond even Putz.

I have no faith in our minor league system, and Sergio Santos is still a bit of a wild card. I'd love to believe he can post the same numbers (overall) as 2010 but I'm not entirely buying into it quite yet.

Of course, if we're committed to carrying a $120-130 million budget the next 3 years, great, bring back Konerko. But I would still prefer only commitment of a 2 year contract with a 3rd year club option, and there are teams out there that might be willing to give 3-4 guaranteed years coming off 2010.

It's great right now to think we HAVE to have Paulie back, but it might not be so great a year or two down the line when KW and JR are bringing up budgets again and lower fan support and having to pare back the roster like we almost did in 2010 before catching fire.

Of all the contracts over the last decade, Konerko's ranks up there with having had its moments where it seemed a ball and chain around the organization's neck. Other than Konerko, the only other ones that come to mind immediately are Contreras, MacDougal, Linebrink and now, apparently, Teahen and Pierre to a lesser extent.

Peavy, I suppose...that has to be the greatest concern going forward. If you knew he was going to be healthy or tradeable at some point, I would take on Konerko's 3 years, but between Peavy and Rios, it's quite a risk to have another player at those numbers.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
I really like the idea of Dlee. I don't know what his long-term health outlook looks like, but if he's fine than I'm ok with him on a 2yr deal worth 14-20M in guaranteed plus some incentives. I think it would be foolish to assume he's going to get half of what Konerko gets in general. It isn't like Lee is some scrub. I think a lot of you suggesting we can get him at 5 to 6M are severley underestimating his value. I could be wrong though, but he's been pretty productive the past few seasons and has been relatively healthy over his career.

If he ends up with 5 to 6 per season, its because not enough teams are in the market for a 1st baseman and he ends up having to take less, but he'd look damn good at 1B. If we had an option of Paulie and no relievers or DLee at a few mill less plus an added arm to our pen, I'll go Dlee.

Little surprised you two mods are in favor of dumping Paulie for Lee.

Don't get it. It's not our money. Ticket prices/parking/concessions will go up every year no matter if Paulie signs or not.

Paulie should get a final three-year deal with the Sox. If he insists on huge money again after this deal concludes, then I guess he has to walk at that point.

Jerry's getting old and wants another WS winner.

I still say if money's the issue we can get by without Edwin. Trade him.

Edited by greg775

Trading Jackson leaves us with Sale as our fourth starter and no rotation until Peavy comes back, if/when he does.

Pitching is obviously the most valuable commodity still in baseball, if we trade Jackson/Floyd/Danks we have to get younger/affordable/high potential impact pitching back, particularly due to the dearth of talent in our own system.

Unless we bring back Garcia or sign someone like J. Washburn or Jeremy Bonderman for insurance.