Young SP targets

Kenny Hates Prospects

Unless JR is planning on entering the season with a $115M+ payroll, it looks like we're on the verge of dealing away some SP. IMO it is imperative that when we do this we get some young, MLB-ready pitching back with the potential to make a real difference. The only potential exceptions would be Peavy or Buehrle because of their contracts, and the best we might be able to hope for in return is salary relief and a high ceiling pitcher or two a few years away. But I think Floyd or Danks is probably more likely.

That said, let's hear some of your targets.

My No. 1 is probably Derek Holland. I think it's realistic if the Rangers fall out on Lee. I love this kid.

Who else?

LMMFAO...Madison Bumgarner? What on earth are you guys smoking? We're not getting him.

Derek Holland would be a good get, but after moving Danks to us, Texas may be hesitant to deal us a good looking lefty. Although he is far more obtainable than Bumgarner.

Keep in mind that Nolan Ryan is the guy in charge in Texas and he values pitching.

I'd love to get Holland, but wouldn't hold my breath.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
You don't think that'd be a bit too much for Bailey?

...it may be a little much and definitely a gamble considering Quentin's potential and Bailey's injuries, but it'll take a bit to get a team to entertain the idea of letting go of their young SP. Especially one who was a high draft pick and who'll be cheap for a while.

Maybe Quentin alone gets it done, but when it comes to high ceiling pitching prospects; trades don't always have to look great on face value.

Edited by pktmotion

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
I wouldn't trade Viciedo straight up for Bailey. I think the Reds would jump for joy if they could get Viciedo and Quentin for Bailey.

I think the Reds would only do that move because we're giving up so much talent. They've got 3b and 1b and RF already covered, and they're doubly-covered at 1b (Votto and Hosmer) to the point that they have to move the 2nd one to the OF. It makes no sense for them to pick up another pair of guys who they can't play anywhere.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 07:38 AM)
I think the Reds would only do that move because we're giving up so much talent. They've got 3b and 1b and RF already covered, and they're doubly-covered at 1b (Votto and Hosmer) to the point that they have to move the 2nd one to the OF. It makes no sense for them to pick up another pair of guys who they can't play anywhere.

Alonso