Merry Christmas Sox Fans?!?!

Kenny Hates Prospects

I like Borbon because he should be available - he's being squeezed out of Texas' OF and they have prospects with much higher ceilings already on his tail. His ceiling is probably Pierre with better pop, but that's valuable for 5 years of control. I don't think he's like massively valuable, just a nice fit. Putting him in LF with Pierre in another uniform and us not having to pay anything (who knows if this is possible, just me guessing) would give us the money to sign a reliever. So I've put that forth a couple times.

The above scenario I proposed would be pretty much impossible, because the Rangers would probably offer just as much as we would, and why would Lee stiff them and come here? I'm not saying we'd ever get Lee, just that it's kind of crazy to examine the possibilities that exist when you have a payroll like that. It's kind of ---- weird. But I like it.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
I like Borbon because he should be available - he's being squeezed out of Texas' OF and they have prospects with much higher ceilings already on his tail. His ceiling is probably Pierre with better pop, but that's valuable for 5 years of control. I don't think he's like massively valuable, just a nice fit. Putting him in LF with Pierre in another uniform and us not having to pay anything (who knows if this is possible, just me guessing) would give us the money to sign a reliever. So I've put that forth a couple times.

The above scenario I proposed would be pretty much impossible, because the Rangers would probably offer just as much as we would, and why would Lee stiff them and come here? I'm not saying we'd ever get Lee, just that it's kind of crazy to examine the possibilities that exist when you have a payroll like that. It's kind of ---- weird. But I like it.

The thing that really sucks is if Mitchell had stayed healthy and continued progressing in 2010 and KW didn't get desperate with Pierre and Teahen, we might actually be able to talk about a name like Cliff Lee realistically.

Then again, when we had Contreras/Buehrle/Javy/Garland/Garcia in 2006 our rotation was even more expensive.

One thing too about Reinsdorf is that he may not be looking just at 2011. He may look at it as one last try at putting together a team that is kind of where the Phillies are right now, in terms of payroll, fan interest, playoff appearances, etc. If JR goes out and puts a real winner on the field this year, even if he takes a hit a bit in the process, it could lead to another 3-4 years of fun baseball, and raise the value of the franchise in the process. If, however, we rebuild, then he may never see another winner and the franchise loses value.

No idea. I'm just thrilled if this is actually happening. Watch us get Paulie and then pick up Melo on an extension too. That seems like crazy talk, but what if?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
The thing that really sucks is if Mitchell had stayed healthy and continued progressing in 2010 and KW didn't get desperate with Pierre and Teahen, we might actually be able to talk about a name like Cliff Lee realistically.

Then again, when we had Contreras/Buehrle/Javy/Garland/Garcia in 2006 our rotation was even more expensive.

Speaking of Mitchell, what can we expect from him this season? Is he a potential September call up or is he still a year or 2 away? I don't follow the minors as closely as I should.

Given what JR has taken on recently in terms of annual salary, I actually think Lee could be realistic if not for the years. That's what would kill us no matter what our payroll room looks like.

I think Mitchell was still being touted too highly - the talent is there, but it's really a stretch to suggest he'd be nearly ready by now. But if you're talking what he could bring in trade had Kenny not spent on Pierre and Teahen, there are some real possibilities there that I don't want to think about because my head will explode. Teahen's contract is like a bad dream. It's like a used diaper in your mental cornflakes.

I seriously doubt the few million spent on Pierre (1 year left anyway) and Teahen (not that much money) would hold back an offer to Lee.

+/- a few million dollars when you're talking about a 100+ mil contract is nothing. KW isn't sitting in his office saying "dammit, if only we didn't spend that 5 mil on Pierre, I could sign Lee for 7/100 right now!"

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
Speaking of Mitchell, what can we expect from him this season? Is he a potential September call up or is he still a year or 2 away? I don't follow the minors as closely as I should.

Maybe more then 2 years away. He missed all of last season and was horrible in the AFL. He obviously gets a pass because of his time off the field and having surgery, but it isn't time to be penciling him for anything yet. This coming season will be very telling in that regard.

Edited by DirtySox