Sox engaged in "advanced trade discussions"

Leonard Washington

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
Heath Bell is a free agent at the end of next season, but I'm assuming he'll be type A. I'd consider trading Viciedo for him but I wouldn't give anything else of value.

FWIW, Heyan is reporting via twitter that Padres will hold on to Bell at least into the season, they have no plans of trading him at this point.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
This is from Rosenthal's article about the Dunn signing. It's a quote that hasn't really got much attention, but from a reliable source like Rosenthal I find it interesting.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Chicago...-million-120210

I can't help but think Quentin's involved, and I HIGHLY doubt this was about the Linebrink trade.

I don't think Quentin will be going anywhere. If Reinsdorf authorized more money to be spent then free agency will be the way the Sox go to fill needs. I am hopeful Konerko is back. It makes no sense to sign a bat (Dunn) to off set the loss of one (PK). You add power to the line up so PK's signing is a must. Too many trades you see offered up for discussion here would do nothing but open up a hole somewhere else in the line up that we can't fill. My guess is a pitcher might be dealt and since pitching is a very sought after commodity for almost all teams we are in a good spot. I think Edwin Jackson may be the one to go. I would be happy to see all our hurlers stay though. There might be a lot of signings of under the radar type free agent pitchers in an attempt to fill the holes in the bullpen.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
I don't think Quentin will be going anywhere. If Reinsdorf authorized more money to be spent then free agency will be the way the Sox go to fill needs. I am hopeful Konerko is back. It makes no sense to sign a bat (Dunn) to off set the loss of one (PK). You add power to the line up so PK's signing is a must.

Like it or not...even if Konerko is not resigned, we've added a bat. Dunn + Viciedo >> Konerko + Kotsay. Konerko's defense may be slightly better than DV, but he's not exactly stellar on that.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
He's 4 years younger than Ramirez. I'd consider Quentin, Ramirez, and Viciedo for Rasmus. Consider ...

Good lord.... Seriously...just why in the hell would the Sox trade Lexi? Cheap and very talented shortstops don't just grow on trees. Rasmus is overrated IMO.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:07 PM)
Good lord.... Seriously...just why in the hell would the Sox trade Lexi? Cheap and very talented shortstops don't just grow on trees. Rasmus is overrated IMO.

Exactly. We trade our successful and young talent for one guy from the Cards who ain't there yet?

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
My gut tells me KW is in on Heath Bell. Hes a solid closer who will make something between 5-6M in arbitration so hes rather affordable.

Yeah. With Gonzalez gone, what's the point in holding onto Bell? Viciedo for Bell is a nice trade for both sides.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Yeah. With Gonzalez gone, what's the point in holding onto Bell? Viciedo for Bell is a nice trade for both sides.

I would hate to make that deal. Give 'em Tyler Flowers instead. San Diego's pretty thin at catcher aren't they?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
I would hate to make that deal. Give 'em Tyler Flowers instead. San Diego's pretty thin at catcher aren't they?

Flowers for Bell? Ok...I know that they lost badly on the deal with Boston, but that'd be pretty darn embarrassing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Flowers for Bell? Ok...I know that they lost badly on the deal with Boston, but that'd be pretty darn embarrassing.

Not just Flowers obviously, but he'd probably have to be the main piece. If we don't trade Viciedo, the next best thing we have is Flowers. Unless we want to trade Mitchell or Morel.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Not just Flowers obviously, but he'd probably have to be the main piece. If we don't trade Viciedo, the next best thing we have is Flowers. Unless we want to trade Mitchell or Morel.

After the terrible season he just had, Flowers is probably looked at as a likely candidate to be outright waived at some point this season, rather than as a useful trade chip.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
After the terrible season he just had, Flowers is probably looked at as a likely candidate to be outright waived at some point this season, rather than as a useful trade chip.

After his first disappointing season in the minors, Flowers is a candidate to be outright waived? Hyperbole much?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
After his first disappointing season in the minors, Flowers is a candidate to be outright waived? Hyperbole much?

He has 1 minor league option left. He comes out of the gate struggling this year, and that could be it. He has a down season again, and he will be gone next offseason.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Many reports out there saying Padres will wait with Bell till July, to get more, and another reason for him not being traded "not wanting to upest the fanbase even more".

After trading Adrian Gonzalez, I can't really see the fanbase caring much about trading Heath Bell.