Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
I really wish they would call his bluff and tell him to have fun playing in Baltimore.

PK did not earn his money for most of his last contract, and now he wants an increase.

Walk away.

Shack, I have to return a favor here. PK14's last contract was for $60 million. Over the course of that deal, he earned $56 million in the fangraphs player value world. With all the same caveats you applied to Beltre, there you go.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
I'm not impatient. I just find the entire notion ridiculous.

The guy is a solid player at a position full of them coming off a huge year at the age of 34. He deserves a nice contract. 2/$20 maybe. But this 3/$45 crap is ridiculous.

2/$20M is what I would pay someone like him on the open market. Maybe go a little higher cause of his history with us. It can't help the situation when Jeter gets rewarded 3/$51M for the crap year he had last year just cause of his history. Maybe that's driving up PK's cost too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Shack, I have to return a favor here. PK14's last contract was for $60 million. Over the course of that deal, he earned $56 million in the fangraphs player value world. With all the same caveats you applied to Beltre, there you go.

Yep. He didn't earn the $60 million over the life of the deal. He also failed to earn his yearly salary in 3 of the 5 years of the contract, according to fangraphs' value measurements. Now he is 5 years older and he wants a pay raise?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)

You've evolved. I love sabermetric Balta.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Yep. He didn't earn the $60 million over the life of the deal. He also failed to earn his yearly salary in 3 of the 5 years of the contract, according to fangraphs' value measurements. Now he is 5 years older and he wants a pay raise?

Well, the baseball economics of 5 years ago aren't the same as they are now. Players are getting paid more for their power and Konerko had 39 homers last year.

If Paulie hit 9 less home runs and 9 more doubles, I don't think he'd be asking for $15 million a year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
Paulie has every right to make a power play here, it doesn't mean we have play it with him. I say we set a price, a deadline, and bide our time.

No matter what, I will always be grateful to have watched Paul Konerko play for the Sox. He became my favorite player when acquired by the Sox (I really liked him from his early years as a Dodger).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
No matter what, I will always be grateful to have watched Paul Konerko play for the Sox. He became my favorite player when acquired by the Sox (I really liked him from his early years as a Dodger).

I think it's hilarious that people are getting on Paulie for holding out for the best possible deal. He owes the White Sox nothing. This will pretty much be the last time he hits the open market. He has every right to get the most coin and put himself in a position where he and his family is happiest. I know that's what I'd be doing.

I enjoy numbers too and think it's added to my enjoyment of MLB the last handful of years, but I don't think you can just look at the numbers like this and just say it tells the whole .story. The White Sox are a top 10 payroll team, so a deal like PK's last one they can absorb a little more. Also, the LAA were pushing hard for PK, the Sox would have lost him if they didn't give him that deal, so then you have to find the players that would have filled in, they would have had to come for the right $$ and agreed to come here or acquire them in a trade somehow, easier said when they're paper unknown players than when the actual mechanics of getting another player actually have to play out.

Also, while it was ridiculously overvalued in the Jeter saga, there is a value for specific players to specific franchises and I believe PK is that to the White Sox... with all that said, I think PK earned his last contract

If the Orioles are throwing a ton of money at Paulie then he's probably strongly considering taking it since this should be his last chance at a multiyear deal. If the difference between the Sox and O's (I imagine they're the "snag" and that report about Paulie not considering them is total BS) is a mil or two over the same number of years then he should be back with the Sox, but if the O's or some other team are offering a 4th year then there's a pretty good chance he's gone. Nothing wrong with that either. Anyone in his shoes would probably do the same.

Paulie's deal looked like fish in a barrel but maybe it's not. And maybe this is actually a blessing in disguise for the Sox. I imagine a Lee or Pena type looking for a 1-year reclamation deal would much rather sign with a contender to pad their numbers a bit more, so we'd be looking pretty good should Paulie go elsewhere. Especially if it's Lee, who could very well still be partially rooted in Chicago.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Well, the baseball economics of 5 years ago aren't the same as they are now. Players are getting paid more for their power and Konerko had 39 homers last year.

If Paulie hit 9 less home runs and 9 more doubles, I don't think he'd be asking for $15 million a year.

The guys at Fangraphs are speculating a win in this market is worth about $5 million dollars, meaning PK would have to be worth 3 wins a year over the life of the deal. He's been worth less than 2.5 wins on average over the last 4 years and he's only getting older.

Chances are he's not going to produce enough to justify $15 million a year going forward.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
Paulie's deal looked like fish in a barrel but maybe it's not. And maybe this is actually a blessing in disguise for the Sox. I imagine a Lee or Pena type looking for a 1-year reclamation deal would much rather sign with a contender to pad their numbers a bit more, so we'd be looking pretty good should Paulie go elsewhere. Especially if it's Lee, who could very well still be partially rooted in Chicago.

Worth noting...Pena is a really bad fit in the same lineup with Dunn.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
I think it's hilarious that people are getting on Paulie for holding out for the best possible deal. He owes the White Sox nothing. This will pretty much be the last time he hits the open market. He has every right to get the most coin and put himself in a position where he and his family is happiest. I know that's what I'd be doing.

I'm not upset with him at all if he wants to maximize his dollar value. Go play for whomever you want, PK. I'm just saying I'm not interested at anything more than $10 million a year for 2 years.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
Move on Kenny, Landis is trying to "Jeter" us!

It's also very possible that the O's or some other non-contender is trying to "Washington Nationals" us and make a splash with a bunch of extra cash. Paulie's heart is still in Chicago and he's tight with Jerry. Not coming back here will be a tough decision for him if he makes it, but it may also be the best decision for his family in the longterm. Remember, he already has a ring, so while winning is important, it may not be more important than another several million dollars at the end of his playing career.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
I'm not upset with him at all if he wants to maximize his dollar value. Go play for whomever you want, PK. I'm just saying I'm not interested at anything more than $10 million a year for 2 years.

I wasn't really talking about you. But I knew this was going to happen months ago. PK had a career year and he's trying to get paid. If we sign him, great. If we don't, move on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
Worth noting...Pena is a really bad fit in the same lineup with Dunn.

That's true. I think Lee is the target if PK signs elsewhere but we'd still have to do our due diligence and check into Pena IMO, even if it's not an ideal fit. If PK and Lee both go off the board then there really isn't an ideal fit anyway.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
That's true. I think Lee is the target if PK signs elsewhere but we'd still have to do our due diligence and check into Pena IMO, even if it's not an ideal fit. If PK and Lee both go off the board then there really isn't an ideal fit anyway.

Hell, if PK and Lee both go off the board...I'd rather go with Viciedo. The only other obvious options are Pena (terrible fit with Dunn) and LaRoche (Less bad fit with Dunn, but still overloads that position with LH Bats).

I really would not worry so much about Pena being a bad fit with Dunn. If the price is right, I wouldn't be afraid to sign him...just make sure you split the two up with Rios or Q....both Dunn and Pena walk enough to make the strikeouts a bit more tolerable.

Reinsdorf is gonna give Konerko at least 13m/year, which will cripple our payroll as far as not being able to add any other pieces where we obviously need to fill holes

Sucks that D.Lee is even older that Konerko, though I bet we could sign him to a two year deal and have Viciedo waiting

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Why is it dragging on? How many of the top free agents have signed?

Because what happens if a mystery team comes in and snags D. Lee and LaRoche? Who is going to play first if Konerko decides he doesn't want to come back to the Sox? Kenny's plan B or C can't sit around forever and wait on Konerko to make up his freaking mind.

And I don't know about you, but I am NOT comfortable with Viciedo being our 1b.

Edited by Chet Kincaid