Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Plus it allows you in on next year's 1B free agent frenzy. With the Red Sox and Yanks both with top notch 1B, anything is possible in relation to getting Fielder or maybe even Pujols.

Seriously, we're not going to need a FA 1b a year from now. We've got a plausible one who needs work but who already put up an .840 OPS in the big leagues last year, who we might be forced to trade if we extend Konerko.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Plus it allows you in on next year's 1B free agent frenzy. With the Red Sox and Yanks both with top notch 1B, anything is possible in relation to getting Fielder or maybe even Pujols.

It never ceases to amaze me how Pujols' numbers make Teixiera, Fielder and even A Gonzalez look like lil b****es in comparison.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
CSNChi_Beatnik Brett Ballantini

Konerko/Landis shooting for the moon--$15 million. Goes against the grain of how PK spoke of his next gig (not nec. top $) at season's end.

3 minutes ago

There's nothing wrong with having a high starting point, doesn't mean he'll get it (the bidding on Dunn was supposed to start at $60M over 4 years). I get the impression that the Sox offer will be the top $$$ offer, unless someone unexpected jumps into the bidding.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
There's nothing wrong with having a high starting point, doesn't mean he'll get it (the bidding on Dunn was supposed to start at $60M over 4 years). I get the impression that the Sox offer will be the top $$ offer, unless someone unexpected jumps into the bidding.

I cant imagine anyone offers up 3/45 or 4/60 for Konerko, unless of course the nationals get involved. Seriously can anyone see Konerko getting more than 3/36. Look at other older sluggers guys like Matsui, Vlad have been getting 1 year 6M and Bobby Abreu, who is the same age as Konerko signed an extension last year with the Angels for 2/18. So like I was saying where has the market shown us that Konerko will get 15M per year....IT WONT!

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
There's nothing wrong with having a high starting point, doesn't mean he'll get it (the bidding on Dunn was supposed to start at $60M over 4 years). I get the impression that the Sox offer will be the top $$$ offer, unless someone unexpected jumps into the bidding.

I'd like the Sox to move on. Even if the Sox get that number to drop, you would be looking at something like $13M a year for 3 years? There are better ways to use that money than on an aging 1B coming off a career year. You could get Lee or someone like him on a 1 or 2 year deal for half that money and be able to sign help for the pen as well. This is a time when putting together the best team should be more important than sentimental attachment to a player.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
I'd like the Sox to move on. Even if the Sox get that number to drop, you would be looking at something like $13M a year for 3 years? There are better ways to use that money than on an aging 1B coming off a career year. You could get Lee or someone like him on a 1 or 2 year deal for half that money and be able to sign help for the pen as well. This is a time when putting together the best team should be more important than sentimental attachment to a player.

Right now KW has likely put their final offer out there and a deadline of tomorrow. Kenny is not gonna lose out on the Winter Meetings for any player.

Right know he's handcuffed unless it's another salary dump move because he doesn't know what he can take on for any move...the Sox cannot be held hostage by Konerko.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)

But who knows if any of those guys might come to play for us. I'd rather have PK than Viciedo at first in 2011.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)

I really dont think this is about sentinment, these are professional baseball players and executives not fans, not amateurs. KW & Company know whats its going to take to put a winning team out there and PK is obviously a part of that. But thats not to say he doesnt have his Plan B and Plan C if PK doesnt work out. The reason there is a lot of "we want PK back" feeling is becuase he can really contribute in the middle of the order and is power from the right side is much more significant than Plan B (DLee), Plan C (Pena/Laroche), or Plan D (Viciedo).

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
But who knows if any of those guys might come to play for us. I'd rather have PK than Viciedo at first in 2011.

If you think Viciedo is anything but Plan D I dont think you know KW all that well.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)

I'd rather take a chance on Viciedo, and sign two solid bullpen guys.

Grant Balfour anyone?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
RT @Jordan4Life I f***ing hate Twitter so much.

lol. well played.

at any rate, people should unbunch their panties about this kind of stuff. it is a negotiation. this is what happens.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
"Kid K'' is simply "Kid $'' Next. Chairman wants Konerko. What Jerry wants, Jerry gets. - Cowley in reference to Kerry Wood.

Cowley says, Wood rumors blown out of proportions, Sox think Wood too expensive even if they don't get Paulie.

Joe must have got that from his sources. I could have sworn JR wanted LeBron, Wade, Bosh.........Putz at a cheaper rate.............

Edited by Dick Allen