Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
LOL. It's not goint to be 10 mil a year. You guys can forget that right now.

Just like it won't be 45, which was my point.

Oh, edit....

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
37.5M over 3 years per ESPN.

Ha! Exactly between my numbers! I'll take that in this market. $12.5M/yr.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
Really? Why?

Because I don't believe he's going to earn that. He didn't earn his last contract at $12/year over 5 years and my guess is the chances of him earning more annually isn't going to happen with him being 5 years older.

Have the terms of each year been released yet? My guess is this one is backloaded a bit too.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
The deal is believed to be worth about $14MM per year, tweets Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.

Now, I hope it is closer to 12.5 than 14, but we'll see...

It's around $12.5M as is but Paulie has an option to take over Roger Bossard's duties cutting the grass for an additional $1.5M per year.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
Apples and oranges. In the NBA, it's a very important thing to keep your assets. If your draft picks are decent players, the onus is on you to keep them. You let both Deng and Gordon go, and your team is basically restarting completely.

In baseball you can keep piling on signees based on what you choose to spend each year. Freely retool in MLB. Meanwhile, Deng had to be re-signed b/c the Bulls were already dealing with Hinrich/Nocioni/Ben Wallace contracts and what not. Deng was seen as both a key player and a potentially tradeable guy (injuries since diminished that, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him the principle in a deal before his contract runs out)

Also as far as all the anger over what Deng makes per year, I don't know what NBA fans expect to pay for a 6'9" player who gets you 18 and 7, highly regarded defensively and low turnover. 8M? 9M? No way.

Eh, your argument to assets may be valid, but there is also a defined limit to how much you can pay your entire roster. This is why losing Deng would have been more valuable than keeping him at that contract level.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
It's around $12.5M as is but Paulie has an option to take over Roger Bossard's duties cutting the grass for an additional $1.5M per year.

Not Bossard! Hawk would have a coronary if he didn't have Bossard's grass cutting skills to be in awe of.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
Because I don't believe he's going to earn that. He didn't earn his last contract at $12/year over 5 years and my guess is the chances of him earning more annually isn't going to happen with him being 5 years older.

Have the terms of each year been released yet? My guess is this one is backloaded a bit too.

You don't think he earned the $12M a year? I do. Wasn't a bargain, but I think he paid it in full.

$12.5M/yr is a bit steep I agree, but given what other bats are going for, its not out of bounds at all. And 3 years is not the end of the world.