Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
This is good and unexpected news (the money anyway). Maybe the third year was the sticking point. The money per year is quite reasonable.

Now, can PK get to 500 HRs in the next three years?

135 HRs in 3 years? Not likely. Dunn however, might.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
That's exactly how I'm looking at it. I was on the DLee bandwagon but that was because I was under the impression that Konerko was costing us 15 per. I'm happy with this and I like that they got creative in order to give him that 3rd year.

Good work Jerry, good work Kenny.

I agree. With Pena getting $10 million, D. Lee might end up getting more than we were thinking yesterday. I like having the middle of the lineup we have now.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
White Sox are paying Paulie 2M more than Cubs are paying Carlos Pena. You think Derrek Lee wouldn't cost us 10+ ?

The Cubs are committed to Carlos Pena for nothing in 2012 or 2013, or 2014-2019, for that matter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
I don't like his inconsistency at all. Not for a 1b hitting in the middle of your lineup.

Basically all the 1B options could be called inconsistent as of late. LaRoche, Peña, Lee, Viciedo. For the vets in that group, each is coming off a down year. PK off a career year.

PK doesnt complain about injury, so the hypothesis can be made that his awful 08 may have been bumps/bruises related more than he let on. When healthy his best years seem to trump those of the other guys (if you account for Lee beating up on NL pitching)

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Basically all the 1B options could be called inconsistent as of late. LaRoche, Peña, Lee, Viciedo. For the vets in that group, each is coming off a down year. PK off a career year.

But the other 1b options could be signed for 1 year. Huge difference.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
The Cubs are committed to Carlos Pena for nothing in 2012 or 2013, or 2014-2019, for that matter.

I hardly call 0.9% of a normal payroll 'committed' from 2014-2019...I mean seriously man, c'mon. If you don't like the 3rd year, ok that can be argued I guess?..but calling out the deferred money is kinda silly.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
30 doubles, 30 homers, .350 OBP, Definitive Team Captain...thats reason enough for the pricetag. I mean, Dunn and Konerko both for under $30 mill a year and people are still complaining?

Why can't people be concerned that Konerko will regress big te, or that his hip comes back and haunts him, or his chonic thumb problem that he gets shots for throughout the year starts to get much worse? I think there is a ton of risk in this deal and I think DLee will be better than Konerko. Throw in the draft picks and setting up an opening for Dayan and signing DLee just made to much sense.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
Is there any hope at all for Viciedo playing RF?

I think he'd really have to get himself in shape and correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he decline to play in the winter leagues? That's usually the place to try new things.

I don't see how anyone can complain that Paulie is overpaid based upon some of the other contracts dished out in baseball today.

Besides, if Jerry goes out and gets a couple of good bullpen arms now (which I think he will), why should any of us care what it costs to fill a World Series contending roster? That's a matter for Chairman of the Board to be concerned about....not us as fans.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
But the other 1b options could be signed for 1 year. Huge difference.

If someone was bidding for Konerko multiyear, you can bet they were having side conversations with Lee for two years as well, since he's career #s wise an identical cheaper player.

Based on our payroll restraints, it can be sort of said PK signed for 2.5 years.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
Why can't people be concerned that Konerko will regress big te, or that his hip comes back and haunts him, or his chonic thumb problem that he gets shots for throughout the year starts to get much worse? I think there is a ton of risk in this deal and I think DLee will be better than Konerko. Throw in the draft picks and setting up an opening for Dayan and signing DLee just made to much sense.

Great point about the draft picks. But how often do you get a chance to sign a guy who contended for the MVP at this price? Other teams surely were not given this sweet deal for the third year deferring.

If GMs are to take advantage of unique situations and pounce, then I'd call this deferring a little more advantageous than getting boom-or-bust-very-often-bust MLB draft picks.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
I think he'd really have to get himself in shape and correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he decline to play in the winter leagues? That's usually the place to try new things.

He did indeed decline. Sitting on the bench in the majors must have took a toll.