Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
So...taking your own stance on things....it can't be said that JJ Putz was more concerned about what was good for the team, he jumped at the best offer $$$ wise. Is it only an issue when it relates to a move you wanted made?

Good point. Why not be angry at Putz for not taking less to stay here?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Something is strange when shack is the pessimist in a thread. Other than SS2K5, and nobody can touch his homerism, shack is the biggest homer on the board.

And EVERYONE else is happy. Gage going all Bill James, Shack becoming the Grinch. Weird times around this board.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
So...taking your own stance on things....it can't be said that JJ Putz was more concerned about what was good for the team, he jumped at the best offer $$$ wise. Is it only an issue when it relates to a move you wanted made?

JJ Putz and PK are not close to being in the same financial position, first of all. Secondly, we were offering JJ $3.2 million. The DBacks offered him a contract for $15 million. Little bit of a difference there.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
JJ Putz and PK are not close to being in the same financial position, first of all. Secondly, we were offering JJ $3.2 million. The DBacks offered him a contract for $15 million. Little bit of a difference there.

The Score is reporting Pena is getting deferred money from the Cubs, no exactly numbers, so he isn't a one year and no responsibility guy

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Something is strange when shack is the pessimist in a thread. Other than SS2K5, and nobody can touch his homerism, shack is the biggest homer on the board.

I may be optimistic about certain things, but I am very realistic when it comes to handing out contracts and acquiring players and our payroll.

We're going to lose a lot of games 9-8 this year when our bullpen consists of me, you and ss2k5 because we can't afford to sign anyone.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
The Score is reporting Pena is getting deferred money from the Cubs, no exactly numbers, so he isn't a one year and no responsibility guy

That means nothing. We are not the Cubs. We wouldn't have had to defer anything had we signed him.

To compare, freaking Michael Cuddyer signed a contract (in 09 or something?) for 2yr/24M with option for a 3rd.

Paulie's mother teresa if he went up to his old team and said "pay me like Michael Cuddyer." instead his agent took a hard line approach so they could end up at that point anyway. Perfectly fine with that.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
I may be optimistic about certain things, but I am very realistic when it comes to handing out contracts and acquiring players and our payroll.

We're going to lose a lot of games 9-8 this year when our bullpen consists of me, you and ss2k5 because we can't afford to sign anyone.

But even if we spend a lot of money on a bullpen it wouldn't guarantee anything. Bullpens are typically a crap shoot.

That means nothing. We are not the Cubs. We wouldn't have had to defer anything had we signed him.

how do you know he was willing to come here for 1 at 10? Isn't Boras his agent? Negotiations and situations are different with every team, so just to say he would have came here for the same price and one year or the Sox wouldn't have had to defer anything is guessing.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)

The bullpen is not going to go unfixed by KW. We already have 3 really good back end of the pen guys and a pretty decent long reliever. Give Kenny some time and the bullpen will be just fine.

There's been every indication that the Sox are attending to the bullpen now, so, maybe we wait and see how that goes before saying it will be garbage. Its already got some very nice pieces.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
But even if we spend a lot of money on a bullpen it wouldn't guarantee anything. Bullpens are typically a crap shoot.

Also this.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
how do you know he was willing to come here for 1 at 10? Isn't Boras his agent? Negotiations and situations are different with every team, so just to say he would have came here for the same price and one year or the Sox wouldn't have had to defer anything is guessing.

Because he signed with the Cubs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)

How do we know we 'can't afford to sign anyone'? I'm not sure anyone on this board right now, knows what the final payroll is going to be. Putz, yes would have been a guy I wanted back, but he is gone. Move on to the next guy. How often do bullpen guys signed for multi-years, actually earn that money? Our 'pen has been a crapshoot of unknowns for many years, lots of who worked out, some who didn't...I know I would rather have a failed experiment with a guy making $200k than a guy making $15 mil over 2 years, who will give you probably...100 innings for that 15 million.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
To be fair, Kenny did say payroll is 'almost tapped-out'.

It is but we'll be able to sign a decent reliever for relatively cheap and then go out and trade for one somehow. Like I said, KW isn't leaving the pen like this, not happening.