Boston DOES Acquire Gonzalez

Real

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
I expect Gonzalez to Boston will happen.

Not necessarily a bad strategy for Gonzalez to delay on agreement to a deal until after the winter meetings.

Boston wants him bad. The price will go up by the end of the week.

I don't understand this at all. If a week from now they are willing to go 8 years, why would they risk losing him completely by not just giving it to him now?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
I don't understand this at all. If a week from now they are willing to go 8 years, why would they risk losing him completely by not just giving it to him now?

Because they might have had a Plan B... like Werth.

Take him and a few others off the board this week and scarcity will drive prices up.

And Gonzalez... rather than having Boston set the price... will be able to let the market set it. Not unlike what Konerko is doing.

Plus, I'm not sure the deal fell through because Boston was low-balling him... it's very possible AG didn't want to sign a deal until after a few other guys signed.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
Because they might have had a Plan B... like Werth.

Take him and a few others off the board this week and scarcity will drive prices up.

And Gonzalez... rather than having Boston set the price... will be able to let the market set it.

Not unlike what Konerko is doing.

Konerko is a free agent. Gonzalez can only negotiate with SD. Heyman said the entire breakdown was because of the years. I don't see Boston budging just because Jayson Werth signed for 7 years. To have a player under contract for 9 years is very, very risky.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
They would be better served just resigning Beltre and leaving Youk at 1B.

The RedSox faithful are going to be pretty damn restless if they don't upgrade the team this year.

Especially with VMart leaving.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
This seemed like the logical compromise to the 6 or 8 year debate.

It just sucks that he's in the AL now. He's going to f***ing kill it at Fenway and all the other predominantly hitters' park in that division. I'd actually rather he went to the Cubs. They could sign Pujols, Longoria, and Tulo and they would somehow f*** it up. But if they signed Cargo? They'd probably win it all.

Edited by Jordan4life