Going All In Then It's Time to Try Beckham in 3 Spot

Marty34

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Yeah...gonna have to second that. Ghey1

I'm really dumbfounded people even talk about Beckham in the 3 hole. In a perfect world...sure...but he's not even close to being anywhere near that spot in the order. I'm just hoping for a bounce back year from him for cryin' out loud.

Really, he's not even close?

The numbers in the thread description are a pretty decent argument. Becksy's problem is these mental slumps. He's had 2 of them now; 1 for the first 30-40 at bats of his career, and 1 for the first couple months of last year. Outside of those, he's been an exceptional hitter.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
Yeah...gonna have to second that. Ghey1

I'm really dumbfounded people even talk about Beckham in the 3 hole. In a perfect world...sure...but he's not even close to being anywhere near that spot in the order. I'm just hoping for a bounce back year from him for cryin' out loud.

If he hits like last year again, Becky may be more fitting.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
I agree with this lineup to start the year, and if Lexi and Bacon are both having good years, I'd like to see Lexi at 2 and GB at 3 eventually.

I like it except I would like to see Quentin moved behind Rios until Q proves that he wasn't just a one year wonder. Ramirez can move up to in front of him too if he actually does something before June.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Really, he's not even close?

The numbers in the thread description are a pretty decent argument. Becksy's problem is these mental slumps. He's had 2 of them now; 1 for the first 30-40 at bats of his career, and 1 for the first couple months of last year. Outside of those, he's been an exceptional hitter.

I think those numbers are a little deceiving Balta IMO. He has moments of breaking out...but don't you think a lot of it was due to the pitches he was seeing and the fact he was hitting in the 9-hole. How many times is it lamented "giving up a hit or a walk to somebody in the 9-hole." They're just pitched to differently than 1-6 hitters. Becksy...wth did this come from? Mr Horse says, "No sir...I don't like it!"

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
I think those numbers are a little deceiving Balta IMO. He has moments of breaking out...but don't you think a lot of it was due to the pitches he was seeing and the fact he was hitting in the 9-hole. How many times is it lamented "giving up a hit or a walk to somebody in the 9-hole." They're just pitched to differently than 1-6 hitters. Becksy...wth did this come from? Mr Horse says, "No sir...I don't like it!"

Frankly, no I don't think that was because he was in the 9 spot. Once he gets going, he's a threat and every pitcher knew it.

It's really been a lightswitch for him so far. When he's off, he's off, when he's on, he's a legit #3 hitter. He just needs to stay "on". He does that, and he can fill that role.

I'm just not confident putting him there to start the season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Frankly, no I don't think that was because he was in the 9 spot. Once he gets going, he's a threat and every pitcher knew it.

It's really been a lightswitch for him so far. When he's off, he's off, when he's on, he's a legit #3 hitter. He just needs to stay "on". He does that, and he can fill that role.

I'm just not confident putting him there to start the season.

I agree. Let him hit his way into it.

If Konerko comes back, he's hitting clean up, period. That's where he's hit for years, and I don't see Ozzie moving him. Konerko has a better OBP, hit for a much higher average, strikes out much less, etc. There's every reason to hit him ahead of Dunn, not vice versa.

I see Dunn at #5, right in the middle of the lineup.

That leaves Rios back at #3. If Quentin found his hitting stroke, he could be #3. But he's more likely going to hit 6th.

Beckham, if he hits, would be best hitting second. If he doesn't hit, he's going to be at the bottom of the lineup.

Ramirez has no business hitting at the top unless he returns to the .300 hitting ways when he was a rookie.

Pierre, Beckham, Rios, Konerko, Dunn, Quentin, AJ, Ramirez, Morel/Teahan.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
Time to push the learning curve for Beckham. I don't think they win the division with him hitting 9th or Rios hitting 3rd, and while Beckham may be best suited in the 2 spot I believe he still has the potential to be a solid 3 hitter. A Beckham/Dunn/Konerko*/Rios, middle of the order minimizes the base-clogging of having Dunn/Konerko batting back-to-back.

Gordon is a quality hitter, no doubt but he's not ready to hit 3rd. After last season the very worst thing the Sox could do is pressure him to produce in the 3 hole. Now, the Dunn signing does make that spot a coveted position in the lineup for years to come.

Hitting Dunn 4th makes sense to me and who ever hits in front of him is gonna see some great pitches. I suggest Quentin get a shot there. If he's not traded ( and I still think he will be...) sliding him back to 3 in front of Dunn is a great way to get the most out of what we all know is an explosive but inconsistent bat.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:56 AM)
Hell no. People need to realize that Gordon flat sucked last year. He had a solid final 50 games or whatever. But that doesn't mask the fact he sported a beyond pathetic .581 OPS for nearly half a season. Next year is a "prove it" year for Gordon. Him in the 3-hole would be a joke.

agreed. he could end up in the 3-hole eventually but it's not even close to justifiable at the moment. You don't start a guy out in the 3-hole when he could just as easily crap his pants as succeed. He's gotta play his way into it.

I agree that there's no way Beckham hits 3rd until he proves he can be a stud and be consistent. I do like him in the 2-hole though, as we could then utilize Alexei's power later in the lineup.

Assuming PK re-signs, here's how I'd make the lineup:

LF Pierre

2B Beckham

DH Dunn

1B Konerko

CF Rios

RF Quentin

C Pierzynski

SS Ramirez

3B Morel