Nats sign Werth

DirtySox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
Remember when Juan Gonzalez turned down an 8 year, $143 million extension with the Tigers because of the dimensions at Comerica?

That was back when that kind of money actually meant something.

One of the worst decisions in baseball history.

I think that kind of money still means something. It's about the same yearly deal Werth got it, and that signing was a pretty big deal.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just an assinine contract. They better hope that they can win early in there years because this contract is horrid. Even worse, this sets the market for Carl Crawford at a lot of years and around 20M per year.

That is unbelievable because Crawford isn't worth near that, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
This is just an assinine contract. They better hope that they can win early in there years because this contract is horrid. Even worse, this sets the market for Carl Crawford at a lot of years and around 20M per year.

What's crazy is that this offseason is going to be full of massive overpays and the Sox may get away with three of the biggest steals in Dunn, Paulie, and A.J.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)

on the plus side, i hope it just priced DET out of the bidding for Crawford.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
on the plus side, i hope it just priced DET out of the bidding for Crawford.

No way could Detroit get Crawford. They'd have to give him a ridiculous contract given the other clubs involved (Boston, Anaheim, New York).

This is why kids in the DR will gladly accept a $50,000 loan from Boras with the understanding he will represent them later. I am certain another agent could have gotten him a nice 5 year $60mil contract or even a nice four year deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
No way could Detroit get Crawford. They'd have to give him a ridiculous contract given the other clubs involved (Boston, Anaheim, New York).

Even after the Benoit deal, they're still only at about $75 million committed I think, coming down from $130-ish. They have the room if they really want to.

Crawford is getting at least 150 million. Beltre gets at least 70 million.

Unbelievable how much of a bargain the Dunn deal looks like and I have a hard time calling a contract of Dunn's magnitude a bargain, haha. Hopefully he just comes in and hits and hits and hits :)

Paulie at 13M would be a major bargain too over the short term compared to what these other guys are getting. It makes me think Paulie could potentially get some 5 year 15M per season offer himself from a team like the Dbacks or Orioles. Those extra couple years might make it hard to take a Sox offer of relatively similar money per annum but a few less seasons. I say that because it is highly unlikely that he'll ever re-enter free agency coming off this type of season again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Crawford is getting at least 150 million. Beltre gets at least 70 million.

Unbelievable how much of a bargain the Dunn deal looks like and I have a hard time calling a contract of Dunn's magnitude a bargain, haha. Hopefully he just comes in and hits and hits and hits :)

Paulie at 13M would be a major bargain too over the short term compared to what these other guys are getting. It makes me think Paulie could potentially get some 5 year 15M per season offer himself from a team like the Dbacks or Orioles. Those extra couple years might make it hard to take a Sox offer of relatively similar money per annum but a few less seasons. I say that because it is highly unlikely that he'll ever re-enter free agency coming off this type of season again.

The LA Times floated $180 as possible for Crawford.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out I'm related to Jayson (I will refer to him as Jayson now). He is from my father's hometown and is my father's cousin adopted son.

I think this is a close enough relation to ask for a loan. Maybe I could become his posse. :lolhitting

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
Just found out I'm related to Jayson (I will refer to him as Jayson now). He is from my father's hometown and is my father's cousin adopted son.

I think this is a close enough relation to ask for a loan. Maybe I could become his posse. :lolhitting

Or maybe you can do his PT when he's 37 and injured and still getting paid $10693M/year :D

Edited by ScottyDo