Nats sign Werth

DirtySox

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
With the AGon revelations...boston busts their ass on getting a crawford deal done I think.

And God willing, is blocked the Angels or some other equally hilarious team.

and the Rangers keep Lee and all is well in baseball.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
And God willing, is blocked the Angels or some other equally hilarious team.

and the Rangers keep Lee and all is well in baseball.

This.

I also would like to see Baltimore overpay for Beltre similar to the Nats and Werth. The Red Sox tears would be delicious.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
This.

I also would like to see Baltimore overpay for Beltre similar to the Nats and Werth. The Red Sox tears would be delicious.

Why would that make the Red Sox angry? That could seriously hurt the Orioles chances at genuinely building a winner a couple years from now.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Why not just go all out for Crawford. I have always thought Werth benefitted from the team around him.

Terrible move IMHO.

Yeah, they're not spending this money entirely for baseball production, that's pretty clear. They're not going to be thrilled when they're paying $17 mil to a 37 year old with a .800-ish OPS who has dropped to the point that he can only play 1b.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
Dunn is far superior offensively, and we signed for $4 million less per year and three less years. ROFL.

I wouldn't say he's "Far superior", 120-130 OPS+ for Werth, 130-140 OPS+ for Dunn, career wise, so he's somewhat better...Werth though gives something quality on defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
I wouldn't say he's "Far superior", 120-130 OPS+ for Werth, 130-140 OPS+ for Dunn, career wise, so he's somewhat better...Werth though gives something quality on defense.

And Willingham is probably a better defender than Dunn at 1B. So overall, the Nats improved their defense a lot while they didn't lose too much on offense.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
And Willingham is probably a better defender than Dunn at 1B. So overall, the Nats improved their defense a lot while they didn't lose too much on offense.

Considering what they added to their payroll, that's what should happen. Apparently Boston was only going 4 years for Werth.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
Considering what they added to their payroll, that's what should happen. Apparently Boston was only going 4 years for Werth.

Boston's got a smart front office. Giving 7 years to anyone, especially a 31 year old, isn't a very smart move. I would have only offered him 4 at max too. Ideally, I'd sign him to 3 years.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 08:18 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks Werth is grossly overrated?

He's a good player, but $18M/year for 7 years in his 30s? No way. This contract could end up worse than Soriano's.

You are certainly not the only one. Wow.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)

He's a good player, but $18M/year for 7 years in his 30s? No way. This contract could end up worse than Soriano's.

He is now. lol. Before that I thought he was pretty underrated and one of the top bargains in the game. But yeah, not anymore.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)

Like others have said this is truly nutty money. He is truly not worth this type of money.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
It won't be worse than Soriano's. Werth can actually play defense, and has one of the best OF arms in all of baseball. Still bad. Surprised they didn't just offer a similar 6 year deal to Lee.

This might well be one of those "Detroit 2003" type cases where they're regularly mired in last place, and if they want a FA to actually go there, they need to over-do it.