Joe Crede?

ozzfest

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
check out crede's stats last year.

So what? He was injured...When he's healthy he's so much better than anything we had at 3rd last year. We should've gone after Beltre over Dunn, 3rd base is a huge issue for this club.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:23 AM)
explain

Crede's physically done. He just can't do it anymore. Best you can hope for out of him is maybe 2/3 of a season, with some good D, decent slugging on top of a well below average BA and OBP. I don't see him doing anything Morel can't do plus this takes away MLB development time from Morel.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
So what? He was injured...When he's healthy he's so much better than anything we had at 3rd last year. We should've gone after Beltre over Dunn, 3rd base is a huge issue for this club.

I love Adrian Beltre, but he's had 2 really good seasons in his entire career. He's also going to be more expensive with a longer commitment. Beyond that, the White Sox have 2 capable 3B between Morel and Vizquel, and I'm sure the Sox, if they really felt they needed to, could find another 3B too.

Crede is also done, his back is just torn to shreds. He was amazing for the White Sox in 2005 and the first 5 months of 2006, but you can't count on him for anything more than 20 games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 03:30 AM)
Do you really think Morel is capable of hitting 20-30 homers per year?

That's a bit of a stretch...to even his most ardent fans?

Whether Morel can develop into a "clutch" performer like a Uribe or Crede at the plate, time will tell.

Joe's first full year with the White Sox AVG .261 OBP .308 SLG .433 OPS .741 OPS +92

I think we can expect similar out of Morel, maybe down on the power numbers.. Joe's hit 19 HR , I say Morel hits 10.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:56 AM)
Joe's first full year with the White Sox AVG .261 OBP .308 SLG .433 OPS .741 OPS +92

I think we can expect similar out of Morel, maybe down on the power numbers.. Joe's hit 19 HR , I say Morel hits 10.

I caught a bit of Morel in action last year in the minors, and what I noticed was that no matter who was pitching to him or what they threw, the ball just flew off of his bat, and everything, whether it was a fly ball or a double, landed right in front of the wall.

You're probably right that he'll have a sub-10 HR total next year. I think though that once he spends a year or two with an MLB-level physical training staff, he's got 20+ HR power in him if he can learn to hit big league pitching. Everything flew off that bat solidlyl.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:59 AM)
Well, Boras did recently say he has talked to Crede na Joe is ready to go in 2011 and wants to play. He is suppose to be healthy too. With that said we already have a Joe Crede on the team and his name is Brent Morel, just whole lotta younger!

I'm just SHOCKED that his agent would say he's "ready to go".

Or maybe, I'm just not good at detecting your sarcasm.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
I'm just SHOCKED that his agent would say he's "ready to go".

Or maybe, I'm just not good at detecting your sarcasm.

I wasn't sarcastic, here is a direct quote for you:

He may not be the biggest name among Scott Boras' free agent third base clients, but Joe Crede is hoping to earn a contract for 2011. According to Scott Merkin of MLB.com (via Twitter), Boras says Crede is "healthy, ready to go and he's going to continue his career. He's ready to come back and play."

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
I wasn't sarcastic, here is a direct quote for you:

He may not be the biggest name among Scott Boras' free agent third base clients, but Joe Crede is hoping to earn a contract for 2011. According to Scott Merkin of MLB.com (via Twitter), Boras says Crede is "healthy, ready to go and he's going to continue his career. He's ready to come back and play."

I hope he's ready to be disappointed. There's absolutely no reason not to give Morel the chance to prove himself at this level. How can you possibly trust Crede's back just because it doesn't happen to ache at the moment? Plus, the last time he was good was 4 years ago, there's no way you can assume any offense even if he WERE healthy.

The Sox's issue with this is that they already have a person to fill the role that Crede would fill. By that, of course, I mean Dallas McPherson.

If Joe Crede wants to come back, here's his road. He's going to have to find a team that doesn't have a logjam of 3b prospects at AA and AAA. He's going to have to accept a non-roster invite to Spring Training. He's going to have to keep his mouth shut when he's reassigned to minor league camp in late Feb./Early March. He's going to have to play well, on both offense and defense, against minor league competition, for a period of months. He's going to have to prove his back won't give out after 8 swings, and that his back won't screw with his throwing motion from 3b like it did when he had all those errors in 2006. And, he's going to have to sit there and hope that either the 4-5 guys ahead of him on the major league depth chart suffer from a series of unfortunate injuries, or some other team has enough injuries that they're willing to give up a 26 year old, single-A reliever for him in a trade.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:21 AM)
What do you guys think of bringing Crede back for cheap. I still think Morel needs more time to develop, and I think between Crede, Vizquel and Teahen we'd find a decent temporary solution. Plus, I really miss Crede's facial hair.

I always liked Joe Crede and if healthy he could still make a difference. But, time waits for no man and it might be too late for a return to the Sox, So in this case I really do feel strongly both ways about the Crede option

Edited by elrockinMT