Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

This should be a great week, most insiders claim a ton of trades and free agents will be signed. I'll start us out with some of the latest tweets about JR's golden son, Paulie.

SI_JonHeyman #chisox exec rick hahn meets with konerko agent craig landis today to negotiate. reinsdorf & konerko been chatting amiably by phone

about 1 hour ago

Ken_Rosenthal Konerko, Putz have same agent, Craig Landis. Both names sure to come up in Landis' meeting with #WhiteSox, who need closer, setup help. #MLB

36 minutes ago

didn't know that but that is promising news on the JJ front.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article I read this morning that said the Sox are expected to be aggressive during the winter meetings. Aside from Konerko and Putz, I wonder what KW is aiming for. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few trades made, and Quentin, Viciedo, and others may be going elsewhere.

Time will tell. This should be an interesting week.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
The Werth contract is ridiculous. Makes Dunn look like a bargain.

A big steal. Honestly as opposed to what it would have taken to get a Fielder or Adrian, this is the best route. We gave up a draft pick and $56 million, versus gutting the farm system, and then still haven't to come up with something like $200 million

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
Since it's early and slow. Anyone want to pick crawfords contract after Werth signed for crazy high? Also KW looks like a genious now signing Dunn when he did with the Werth contract we may have paid more for waiting.

7/165

Since it's early and slow. Anyone want to pick crawfords contract after Werth signed for crazy high? Also KW looks like a genious now signing Dunn when he did with the Werth contract we may have paid more for waiting.

8 yrs., $175 mil

I think those numbers for Crawford at the back end of the career are even more risky than Werth's, because Crawford might end up a bit like Shannon Stewart at that time, versus Werth will still retain his power (theoretically).

Both of them run the legit risk of being Soriano/Zito/Mark Hampton/Jaime Navarro/Cho Han Park/Darren Dreifort bad contracts.

Just read Werths contract is the third largerst EVER for outfielders. A lot of GMs disliked Rizzo before, now the rest of the MLB know how KW feels abkut him.

8/175 sounds about right, amazing what one year does to the contracts.

There really isn't anything better than this week. And there is no doubt it's going to be an action pack week. Harold Renoylds made a great point by saying teams are being extra aggressive this year knowing there willb e an extra Wild card spot starting next year 12'. I hope KW once again shows his fortitude.

I know that it is NOT going to happen, but KW seems to be always aggressive on people of his Target list of (I've been wanting him for years!) How much has Crawford been talked about by him? I KNOW that he is WAY WAY out of range, but when he says "ALL IN" and will be aggressive at the winter meeetings, how much "ALL IN" is he talking? Hmmmmmmmm! He's got me curious!

jonmorosi Reinsdorf on Konerko: "He belongs in Chicago." #WhiteSox

12 minutes ago

jonmorosi Asked if he expects Konerko to be with #WhiteSox by end of this week, Reinsdorf said, "I hope so."

12 minutes ago

The sox are certinly putting a lot of pressure of Paulie, by publicly saying they have deferred money and have the gm, a newly signed huge fa signee, and the chairmen of the board all saying Paulie can have what he wants to come back. If Paulie decodes to go elsewhere the front office is setting him up to be the bad guy.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)

12 minutes ago

jonmorosi Asked if he expects Konerko to be with #WhiteSox by end of this week, Reinsdorf said, "I hope so."

12 minutes ago

The sox are certinly putting a lot of pressure of Paulie, by publicly saying they have deferred money and have the gm, a newly signed huge fa signee, and the chairmen of the board all saying Paulie can have what he wants to come back. If Paulie decodes to go elsewhere the front office is setting him up to be the bad guy.

I posted this in the Konero thread, I say we keep Konerko and all the other Winter Meetings stuff separate.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)

12 minutes ago

12 minutes ago

I don;'t see anyone setting PK up as the bad guy. Everything has been up front and respectful with lots of man love being exchanged between the Sox and PK and his agent. Paulie wats to stay in Chicago I am certain.

I'm sick of ATT UVerse not offering MLB Network. This is the time where I really NEED MLB Network. Dammit...

Like I said before... I wouldn't be surprised if KW packaged Quentin and and/or Viciedo (and maybe even Floyd or Jackson) together in a trade for a stud outfielder.

Can you imagine how good the Sox line up would have been if we moved on David DeJesus before Oakland snagged him?

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
Per Rotoworld:

Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks are set to acquire David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio from the Orioles for Mark Reynolds.

Without knowing anything about the prospects...I like that move from the O's perspective. Fills a void, good fit for that ballpark, something of a risky player but with a really high ceiling.