Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:56 PM)
While I understand the urgency for the White Sox to get resoultion on the Konerko situation (I'm actually surprised that it has taken this long, I'm assuming the White Sox are offering him about what they gave Dunn on a per year basis), if the backup plan is LaRoche, I'm willing to wait this out for a little while longer.

Agreed, I can't stand Laroche, so I'm happy to hear he's going to the Cubs in all likelihood.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
You must not have actually seen Pierre play in LF this past year? Folks actually raved about his defense. Granted his arm isn't much, but he didn't do too bad at all out there IMO

I meant more like CQ in LF + Fukudome in RF > Pierre in LF + CQ in RF. You could probably argue that though. My thinking would be that Fukudome is tons better than CQ in RF and in LF the loss of Pierre's range is somewhat lessened by CQ's arm strength.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
No joke, as nice as it would be to have PK in that lineup, the bullpen is the key to the season. Cannot be overstated. My fear is it takes a backseat to the sentimentality of JR.

And that KW would then overpay in a trade of Quentin for some hard throwing, not as effective as should be reliever.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
And that KW would then overpay in a trade of Quentin for some hard throwing, not as effective as should be reliever.

Which one of those relievers did KW overpay for? Was Cotts too much to give up for Aardsma? You didn't like the Danks/Masset combo? Ross Gload was too much to give up for Sisco? The nothing we gave up for Jenks and Santos was too hard? You want Borchard back and Thornton gone?

Usually if you're going to rip KW for something, you do better than this.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
No joke, as nice as it would be to have PK in that lineup, the bullpen is the key to the season. Cannot be overstated. My fear is it takes a backseat to the sentimentality of JR.

This has been my stance as well. A good bullpen can shorten a game to 6 innings while an average pen will lose games from the 7th on. However, the bullpen is the most difficult part of the game to predict as well, as many have said.

While it's only Dec. 7th., I'm concerned that the is no effort to improve the pen and that willbe the downfallof an otherwise very solid team.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
While it's only Dec. 7th., I'm concerned that the is no effort to improve the pen and that willbe the downfallof an otherwise very solid team.

While I see where you're coming from, I would ask in reply...aside from the D-Backs and the Tigers, what teams have taken any steps to work on their bullpens so far? And in both of those cases, you could argue that the team really overspent. Most of the guys out there, like the whole Twins bullpen, are still available.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
This has been my stance as well. A good bullpen can shorten a game to 6 innings while an average pen will lose games from the 7th on. However, the bullpen is the most difficult part of the game to predict as well, as many have said.

I feel ya but this is the only thing KW does: build teams. There's no way that a hole that is blatantly obvious to us casual fans flies over the radar of KW. Sit back, relax and strap it down my friend.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
While I see where you're coming from, I would ask in reply...aside from the D-Backs and the Tigers, what teams have taken any steps to work on their bullpens so far? And in both of those cases, you could argue that the team really overspent. Most of the guys out there, like the whole Twins bullpen, are still available.

I agree there's plenty of time. However, my concern is that if PK signs there is no money to find a quality bullpen arm and we will do it cheaply and suffer for it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
I agree there's plenty of time. However, my concern is that if PK signs there is no money to find a quality bullpen arm and we will do it cheaply and suffer for it.

There's so much variation from year to year in bullpen arms that I'm not sure I'm going to be mad about doing so cheaply until I have actual names.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)

Koch is the only time this has happened in recent memory.

I can't think of a time where we lost a position player who was of Quentin's ilk for a reliever, can you?

I guess if you want to throw out B. Allen for Pena in the discussion, but the jury's still far from out on Allen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
Which one of those relievers did KW overpay for? Was Cotts too much to give up for Aardsma? You didn't like the Danks/Masset combo? Ross Gload was too much to give up for Sisco? The nothing we gave up for Jenks and Santos was too hard? You want Borchard back and Thornton gone?

Usually if you're going to rip KW for something, you do better than this.

I agree, he hasn't done it before. However, he's even said he's going to have to get creative to fill some of these roster spots, and just seems like the most likely scenario to me.

I think it was before 2006...we had 12, yes 12, LHR prospects coming into ST and none of them panned out.

The only one who actually made a career of it was Javier Lopez, who ended up getting traded to the Red Sox in June of that year for David Riske Business (which was amusing since Riske gave up the tide-changing Crede homer if memory serves).

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
It's the millionaires' own faults. They need to protect themselves via prenups and women in very low-leverage situations, like Russian and Filipino internet brides who get deported for refusing the wash the dishes.

IMO divorce proceedings nowadays are bass-ackwards and I think we should all wake up and realize that it's the 21st century and such issues are more easily resolved through the use of trebouchets capable of flinging large objects 600-700 yards.

But seriously though, props to Jaime McCourt. That's quite a haul.

Well agree with the good ole US of A being to protective of wives. And it's not just this case. I think a wife who is divorcing should have to prove that they would have made the money legally a different way if they were not with the husband for the amount of time they were married. The purpose of the courts, suppoedly, is to put the plantiff and defendant in a position they were in before interaction/agreements took place, but that is not the case at all for wives. Even in the case of cheating, that alone shouldn't get you more money. It was your fault for not knowing who you married.

I'm not a woman hater, but laws in this country tear the men apart whereas if the reverse situation happened, chances are they're getting little to nothing. It's pretty ridiculous.

As far as the children. I agree, child support should go to the person who keeps the children. The children do not need $50,000 a month to survive. I think a cap should be set on that. And spousal support is the most ridiculous thing ever because of the insane amount of money granted towards women.