Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
If the Yankees sign Crawford then I want the Sox to go after Gardner. If the Red Sox sign Crawford then I want the Sox to go after Ellsbury. And in either situation I'd love to see Pierre relegated to 4th OF or (preferably) gone.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

A man after my own heart.

Then you put Rios in RF, and Quentin in LF.

What would they want in return?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

A man after my own heart.

Then you put Rios in RF, and Quentin in LF.

What would they want in return?

Yes, I too have been hoping for the Yankees to sign Crawford and allowing Kenny to make a deal for Gardner. Would the Yankees want Floyd?

Pierre-Gardner-Rios.

NOTHING would hit the ground out there. Then with Morel and Alexei in the infield, our team would be stacked with defense. If Beckham and Paulie are our worst defenders, then we are looking REALLY good out there.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
Yes, I too have been hoping for the Yankees to sign Crawford and allowing Kenny to make a deal for Gardner. Would the Yankees want Floyd?

Pierre-Gardner-Rios.

NOTHING would hit the ground out there. Then with Morel and Alexei in the infield, our team would be stacked with defense. If Beckham and Paulie are our worst defenders, then we are looking REALLY good out there.

I was thinking Pierre-GRANDERSON-Rios but Granderson is awfully expensive.

I somehow doubt the Yankees will be trading Brett Gardner regardless of what happens with Crawford. From everything I've read Granderson and Swisher would be out the door before Gardner. At the beginning of the offseason there was a lot of talk about both Curtis and Nick being available.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Yeah, all things considered (contract, age, and cost to acquire), I would surely take Gardner over Granderson.

Quentin, Granderson or Gardner, and Rios is much better.

The Yankees would be anxious to unload Granderson's contract, but not Gardner.

We could afford to have one questionable defensive outfielder, if it's LF.

Wouldn't you rather have Quentin's bat, rather than Pierre's?

Edited by Lillian

Cliff Lee's agent left the winter meetings, sounds like nothing close on him, a lot of things to weigh for them.

Latest update I heard on ESPN with Pedro Gomez is NYY are at 6 and Tex are firm at 5 years and there's a question whether the 7 year mystery team or teams exist...

That will be a tough call for the Rangers, they got new owners, a new 80m TV deal and want to change the culture down there, it will be extremely interesting if Lee's camp calls and tell them a 6th year will get it done.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
George Sherrill has agreed to deal w/Braves, pending physical. He'll get a $1.2 million, base. Bonuses could bring it to $1.4 mill - Jerry Crasnick

Braves going with the "Let's find old bullpen guys who used to be good and now suck, and hope they turn it around" plan. Sherrill was awful last year.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Wouldn't you rather have Quentin's bat, rather than Pierre's?

I don't know about that. Who would lead off? Who would steal bases? Pierre might not as good as he used to be defensively, but I think he's still way better than Quentin. Plus we already have enough slowness in the lineup with Dunn and SLOWnerko. It would be like 06-08 again when everybody was talking about how much we need speed.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
I don't know about that. Who would lead off? Who would steal bases? Pierre might not as good as he used to be defensively, but I think he's still way better than Quentin. Plus we already have enough slowness in the lineup with Dunn and SLOWnerko. It would be like 06-08 again when everybody was talking about how much we need speed.

I really don't get the Pierre bashing by some. Is the guy an all-star or anything...no. But once he got going he was pretty effective and when he was on base he was a huge distraction on the bases. I'd welcome Pierre back as out starting LF in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
I really don't get the Pierre bashing by some. Is the guy an all-star or anything...no. But once he got going he was pretty effective and when he was on base he was a huge distraction on the bases. I'd welcome Pierre back as out starting LF in a heartbeat.

It must be because of the somewhat slow start that he last year, coupled with the fact that he essentially replaced Scotty 2 Hotty Podsednik, who was a fan favorite. But in my eyes, Pierre did alright last year. Sure, he's not Rickey Henderson, but then again who else was out there at the time KW got him?

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)

He was REALLY effective at recording outs.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)

The only 3 slow players within the Sox lineup are Dunn, Konerko, and Pierzynski, and Dunn isn't as slow as you think. Quentin isn't as fast as he used to be due to the number of injuries he has accumulated, but he can run a little bit still. This isn't the White Sox lineup from 2006 that had Konerko, Thome, Dye, Crede, and Pierzynski in it.

For those of you who are Pierre fans, I personally don't care about the stolen bases.

We are going to have a lot of thunder in our lineup, and the highest priority for our lead off hitter is to get on base.

I want those Konerko, Dunn and Quentin home runs to come with one or more guys on base.

Moreover, the Sox will have very good balance up and down the lineup.

Pierre could very well be hitting with Beckham, Ramirez, or A.J. on base, and when he does, I will likely have no more confidence in his ability to do anything productive than I did last year.

This team has a chance to score a lot of runs, especially if they can find a productive hitter to play either CF or RF, moving Quentin to LF.

At that point, Rios could lead off, as I have advocated for some time.

The Sox don't need to steal bases to manufacture runs, although Rios can do some of that as well.

I'd be very happy to see Pierre moved, or relegated to a bench player, even if he is costing the Sox $5 million.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
For those of you who are Pierre fans, I personally don't care about the stolen bases.

We are going to have a lot of thunder in our lineup, and the highest priority for our lead off hitter is to get on base.

I want those Konerko, Dunn and Quentin home runs to come with one or more guys on base.

Pierre could very well be hitting with Beckham, Ramirez, or A.J. on base, and when he does, I will likely have no more confidence in his ability to do anything productive than I did last year.

This team has a chance to score a lot of runs, especially if they can find a productive hitter to play either CF or RF, moving Quentin to LF.

The Sox don't need to steal bases to manufacture runs, although Rios can do some of that as well.

I'd be very happy to see Pierre moved, or relegated to a bench player, even if he is costing the Sox $5 million.

Pierre gets on base more often than Rios.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)

I don't know if you noted this...but Alex Rios's career OBP is .331, and it was .334 last year. Juan Pierre's career OBP is .347, and it was .341 last year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
The only 3 slow players within the Sox lineup are Dunn, Konerko, and Pierzynski, and Dunn isn't as slow as you think. Quentin isn't as fast as he used to be due to the number of injuries he has accumulated, but he can run a little bit still. This isn't the White Sox lineup from 2006 that had Konerko, Thome, Dye, Crede, and Pierzynski in it.

And those guys play C, 1B and DH. How in the hell do you put together a good offense on a limited budget without having slow guys at those positions? We could remove Pierre from this lineup and replace him with a player of average speed and we'd still have on the whole above average speed.

You put together a team of 9 fast guys and watch them score 675 runs. s*** this offense on average is quicker than the '05 World Series team and probably a much more potent lineup.

And that team full of plodders from '06 was an awesome lineup, top 3 offense in the AL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
I don't know if you noted this...but Alex Rios's career OBP is .331, and it was .334 last year. Juan Pierre's career OBP is .347, and it was .341 last year.

Yes, you're correct, and if Pierre could always lead off an inning, I would agree that he might be a better choice than Rios.

The problem is that many times he will not be leading off, and then I would prefer that Rios be at the plate.

I'd like to have a guy leading off who could get on base at a .370+ rate, but if not, then at least give me someone with gap power and the ability to drive in runs.

It's just a difference in philosophy. I remember the 59' Sox. That team couldn't score runs, but they could manufacture a run with Aparicio leading off with a walk or a single, stealing second, and scoring on a perfectly placed single by Fox. Or, Fox would execute a perfect hit and run in the hole vacated by the second baseman covering the bag, with Aparicio running. Then someone would hit a sacrifice fly to bring "Little Louie" home from third.

Those days are over. This is the American League, with the D.H.

I think "Ozzie Ball" is over rated. Give me either a high OBP or Slugging %. A guy with neither, who is only good at running, should be a pinch runner.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
Yes, you're correct, and if Pierre could always lead off and inning, I would agree that he might be a better choice than Rios.

The problem is that many times he will not be leading off, and then I would prefer that Rios be at the plate.

Then the highest priority is not having runners on base.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
And those guys play C, 1B and DH. How in the hell do you put together a good offense on a limited budget without having slow guys at those positions? We could remove Pierre from this lineup and replace him with a player of average speed and we'd still have on the whole above average speed.

You put together a team of 9 fast guys and watch them score 675 runs. s*** this offense on average is quicker than the '05 World Series team and probably a much more potent lineup.

And there is actually depth offensively too, so long as Williams doesn't trade it all away. Like, someone could get injured and be out a month and the Sox wouldn't be totally fistf***ed and be forced to put Andy Gonzalez or Luis Terrero into the lineup. It's kind of a nice feeling.

At this point, he should seriously just sign some relief pitcher, along with Byrdak, and not trade any of the other pieces the Sox have. Go into the year with Thornton, Santos, Sale, Pena, dude, Byrdak, and Infante, and if it works, then great, and if not, make changes come June or July. That seriously doesn't look like a bullpen that is going to kill the Sox, especially with the rotation and lineup they have.

(oh, just don't make "dude" Bobby Jenks)

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
Am I missing something with Byrdak? I keep seeing people mention him and as far as I can tell he's not a member of the White Sox as of right now.....

It was mentioned briefly a while back ago that the Sox were looking at him, so many of us have just assumed that he or someone like Byrdak will be signed in the near future to act as the 2nd lefty out of the pen (and I say 2nd because it's also assumed that one of Sale and Thornton will be closing)