Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 04:04 AM)

What is boston going to do now that Crawford is locked up, i wonder if we see Cameron and Scutaro moved. From a baseball perspective im looking forward to seeing what lowrie and the red sox in general do next year

edit: code tags

I posted this on Whitesox Interactive:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbullet...694#post2660694

What do you think?

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 04:40 AM)
I posted this on Whitesox Interactive:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbullet...694#post2660694

What do you think?

I think that Scutaro gets traded to the CIN, SEA or SFG - for a bullpen arm or low minor high upside arms

I think they keep Drew and trade Cameron to DET or LAD - " "

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
Posting from my phone. Could be a rumor but I hear the Sox are deep in talks that involve some of our top prospects for pitching. Maybe we are also trading someone from our rotation?

We have top prospects? ;)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Posting from my phone. Could be a rumor but I hear the Sox are deep in talks that involve some of our top prospects for pitching. Maybe we are also trading someone from our rotation?

Interesting. I know you have a good source, I'm hoping that's where this came from.

I had thought it was likely we'd trade Floyd or Danks for a position upgrade, but hadn't figured we'd acquire more pitching that way. Doesn't seem like we'd need to trade a starter for relief help. Weird.

We definitely have a need for pitching. We could use a 5th starter and we can definitely use bullpen help. I've assumed for a while we could contemplate going after a young arm that is cost controlled at some point in time that the organization likes. Viciedo and Flowers are pretty good options as guys to move at this point in time.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
We definitely have a need for pitching. We could use a 5th starter and we can definitely use bullpen help. I've assumed for a while we could contemplate going after a young arm that is cost controlled at some point in time that the organization likes. Viciedo and Flowers are pretty good options as guys to move at this point in time.

I'd be disappointed if all we netted for those two was one relief pitcher.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
It is? Flowers and Teahen both suck at this sport. Viciedo would be the only loss.

I think you guys are giving up a bit early on Tyler Flowers, especially considering we're seeing a real shortage of quality catchers right now...6 years of cost-controlled catching seems pretty valuable to me right now, even if it is at just above replacement level.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
And there goes my work day.

My thoughts exactly. I came into work today thinking I could concentrate on what I'm supposed to be doing since the Dunn and Konerko deals are done. Oh well. It's my Friday anyway.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
I think you guys are giving up a bit early on Tyler Flowers, especially considering we're seeing a real shortage of quality catchers right now...6 years of cost-controlled catching seems pretty valuable to me right now, even if it is at just above replacement level.

I have no faith whatsoever in this organization to develop position players, let alone a catcher. I don't know what happened to Broxton last year. But from 2006 through 2009 he sported a 2.79 ERA, a 1.12 WHIP, a K/9 of nearly 12 and an ERA+ of 154. Not sure what his contractual status is. But he's one of the few relievers I'd have no problem with dealing Viciedo for.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)

yep Viciedo especially. He has more upside to bring someone back. We need three relief pitchers and a 5th starter. One of those relief pitchers has to be pretty good.One can be a mop up guy. The other needs to be more long relief if we are moving pena to the back end of the rotation.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
I have no faith whatsoever in this organization to develop position players, let alone a catcher. I don't know what happened to Broxton last year. But from 2006 through 2009 he sported a 2.79 ERA, a 1.12 WHIP, a K/9 of nearly 12 and an ERA+ of 154. Not sure what his contractual status is. But he's one of the few relievers I'd have no problem with dealing Viciedo for.

Torre also killed his arm by trying to have him pitch multiple innings. There were games I watched where there was no excuse for him to still be on the mound.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
It is? Flowers and Teahen both suck at this sport. Viciedo would be the only loss.

and he's the biggest one to lose. Viciedo by himself I wouldn't trade for a reliever unless it was a truly top line closer, even then I'm not sure. But then I tend to think of most relievers as crap shoots, and I like Viciedo a lot.

Flowers going now is selling low, I'd bet he rakes in AAA this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
Torre also killed his arm by trying to have him pitch multiple innings. There were games I watched where there was no excuse for him to still be on the mound.

Even in a down year, he still K'd well over a better per inning. Velocity was still 95+ (though down a bit from the nearly 98 he was popping in '09). BB rate was up a tad and the LD rate was considerably higher. .370 BABIP. I just see it as him having a down year. He's 26 and the stuff is sick. If all it took was Viciedo and two bums I'd be all over it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)

I sure hope that means we're trading someone from the rotation otherwise this signals a big red flag on the Sox expectations for Peavy. You don't trade top prospects for a 2-3 month 5th starter stop gap.

Would it really be "sell low" right now with Flowers? Sure, he had a down year. But also some of the mystery evaporates once he's this age (25 shortly)

Interesting parallel is Lillibridge. Had some impressive years as a youngun in Atlanta's farm system. Then at age 24 he had his first bad year. Was traded the next year for pitching while there was still some value to him. Now he's 26 and you wouldn't be able to get a bucket of balls for him.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
and he's the biggest one to lose. Viciedo by himself I wouldn't trade for a reliever unless it was a truly top line closer, even then I'm not sure. But then I tend to think of most relievers as crap shoots, and I like Viciedo a lot.

Flowers going now is selling low, I'd bet he rakes in AAA this year.

What is a truly top of the line closer? Rivera and??? There's just not that many to begin with. We all knew from day 1 Viciedo wasn't going to be a 3B. With PK/Dunn in the fold for the next 3-4 years, there's no spot for him. Bullpen obviously needs some warm bodies. I wouldn't trade Viciedo for just any reliever, obviously. But a talent like Broxton, who I believe is only 25, would definitely be worth it.