Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
DLee sounds nice and all...but I don't know if I'm a big fan of bringing over a career national league guy and expect him to produce immediately not knowing a majority of the pitchers in the AL. If it came down to choice I'd rather have Pena. Hope it's all a moot point and PK just give hancock on the paper soon.

Adam Dunn is a career NL guy....

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
I'd take Pena over Lee if all things are equal, but Pena is going to be way more expensive. I choose Lee for $6m and vesting option over Pena for 4/44.

As do I. The thing is, Lee doesn't strike me as an power guy like Pena or Konerko. To me, at this point in his career, he would be a nice 5 hitter at best. We'll see.

Why do people think Pena is not an option? Who else is available? I don't think Kenny is comfortable with Viciedo just yet.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
Texas

yeah makes sense... I think maybe then PK and his camp might be waiting until Lee signs, because if the Rangers lose out on him they make push hard for PK, but if Lee resigns Vlad might be a cheaper option

If KW has a solid plan B or C that involves a FA, then I can understand him wanting to move fast, don't want to get caught with little to no options.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
KW spoke of a Plan B and C today for 1B - well according to a scout, Derrek Lee is on the radar. Is he B or C? Does it matter? Adds defense. half a minute ago via TweetDeck

From cowley....

Well who knows anymore.

If Konerko does not come back, Lee is a no brainer as the next option. Herm can keep him healthy.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
He's been very clear that he wants to hear offers, hoping to find a place closer to home. I don't see how that's him being unfair in any way.

I didn't say he's being unfair, but it's also fair that KW moves on if he doesn't get a prompt answer from Paulie. AJ took less money to be with the Sox and deferred half his 2011 salary to free up money for PK. Dunn deferred part of his salary to free up money for PK. Ozzie, KW, Reinsdorf and the White Sox fans all made it clear to Paulie that they love him and want him back. If he can't make up his mind by tomorrow or so, I say KW had better protect himself and move on to Plan B before Plan B is gone.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
Meh, I'm like 99% sure PK will be back. Could be wrong. But doubt it.

I'm with you on that, I think for another team to offer him a contract that would blow him out of the water or make the Sox offer look OK some teams would have to lose out on others, and I just don't see that.

I can see KW going to plan B before PK decides though, and I would be OK with that, I love PK, but KW needs to make sure he does what is best for 2011 White Sox, I would understand

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
Anyone hear KW snapping on Phil Rogers earlier? I guess they played it on B&B, I'd like to know what he said.

My buddy sent me a text quoting KW as saying: "I'm more optimistic about everything then you are about us. And it doesn't matter what answer I give you, you're going to take the worst, most pessimistic road, so again, I'm not going to waste my time on you."

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
My buddy sent me a text quoting KW as saying: "I'm more optimistic about everything then you are about us. And it doesn't matter what answer I give you, you're going to take the worst, most pessimistic road, so again, I'm not going to waste my time on you."

Dang, that's a bit harsh...although it is true for the most part.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
The lack of rumors regarding DLee is a little unusual. He's been the forgotten man in all the 1B rumblings. I wonder if he wants to stay in Chicago and is waiting on KW to make a decision.

some of it is there is still a question about his wrist... also, and I have a feeling this has something to do with PK wanting to wait to sign, the marquee FAs have to fall first often. D-Lee is a bargain FA now and PK is a notch below Lee, Crawford, Werth, the A-Gon trade, etc... the money teams want to push their plan A hard, ie Sox being aggressive with Dunn right away and then see what sifts out... PK might get a bidding war going if certain teams plan A falls through.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)

:lolhitting you go Kenny....