Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

Didn't hear B&B today, but I heard KW say something very similar to that in an interview today...

And the context I heard it in was KW explaining why he didn't want to talk about the problems between he and Ozzie.

Could be two separate events. But the wording was pretty similar.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
Didn't hear B&B today, but I heard KW say something very similar to that in an interview today...

And the context I heard it in was KW explaining why he didn't want to talk about the problems between he and Ozzie.

I literally have 0 clue what the context of it was, I just got that text from my buddy saying that's what he said to Rogers.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
I literally have 0 clue what the context of it was, I just got that text from my buddy saying that's what he said to Rogers.

Rogers asked Kenny if he is optimistic about relievers in the WSox organization, to which Kenny responded with what Rowand44 posted above.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
I didn't say he's being unfair, but it's also fair that KW moves on if he doesn't get a prompt answer from Paulie. AJ took less money to be with the Sox and deferred half his 2011 salary to free up money for PK. Dunn deferred part of his salary to free up money for PK. Ozzie, KW, Reinsdorf and the White Sox fans all made it clear to Paulie that they love him and want him back. If he can't make up his mind by tomorrow or so, I say KW had better protect himself and move on to Plan B before Plan B is gone.

The fact that Dunn and Pierzynski both deferred money in order to try and get Konerko back, and Konerko still didn't resign, makes me think Konerko is being a big jerk.

I'm starting to think "good ridance" to Konerko.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 03:06 AM)
The fact that Dunn and Pierzynski both deferred money in order to try and get Konerko back, and Konerko still didn't resign, makes me think Konerko is being a big jerk.

I'm starting to think "good riddance" to Konerko.

This right here is making me more and more like the thought of D. Lee + a solid reliever in a White Sox uniform next year. KW is trying to get stuff done and Paulie better not screw around and cause us to end up with nothing. If he does, then he'll lose some love among Sox fans.

Let's say that we could get Derek Lee for $6-8 million (and not have to commit to more than one season)...

I would guess the probability is at least 30-60% that DLee has a better season than Konerko in 2010...right?

So I guess the question of 1) having the payroll flexibility going forward in 2012/13, when Buehrle's coming off the books theoretically and we can get back two draft picks as well...2) and the fact that we could spend that $4.5-6.5 million on one or two relievers who kick up the probability of having a more solid bullpen in 2011, that mitigates some of my excitement about bringing back Paulie.

It's also like you wish he would have faded like Thome in 2009 so the decision wouldn't be so murky...because I don't think anybody would be willing to bet their 401K he would ever have another season in 2011-12-13 approaching the overall numbers and consistency he displayed this past season.

Of course, if it's a matter of having Konerko or Derek Lee (with no spending of the differential on the bullpen because Paulie becomes an exception for JR), then you have to side with Paulie, but guaranteeing 3 years is quite scary.

I hope something happens today. I would imagine resolving the PK issue one way or the other will start a domino effect. The Sox still need to make a few moves in order to get bullpen help. I just wonder if a trade or two will be worked out or KW will aim for a FA.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 03:06 AM)

I'm starting to think "good ridance" to Konerko.

Paul Konerko owes you and me and the White Sox nothing. If he chooses to go elsewhere, that's his decision and he's earned it. I hope he comes back. If the Sox can't wait around for him to make his decision fine, but don't blame him for taking his time. There's a lot of unsigned players out there.

They deferred their money. Its not like they gave it back. They will still get it and chances are they probably don't need it in the next year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 07:14 AM)
Paul Konerko owes you and me and the White Sox nothing. If he chooses to go elsewhere, that's his decision and he's earned it. I hope he comes back. If the Sox can't wait around for him to make his decision fine, but don't blame him for taking his time. There's a lot of unsigned players out there.

They deferred their money. Its not like they gave it back. They will still get it and chances are they probably don't need it in the next year.

Nicely said, What i am hearing is the Dbacks and whitesox are very close on the money side of things. Konerko is truly thinking about this because He can spend three years at home with his wife and kids as they are in the growing age stage. Three years at home with your family around for about the same money (Dbacks offering a touch less) or three years on the road with your only team and a chance to win the division. Thats why this is taking another day.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Nicely said, What i am hearing is the Dbacks and whitesox are very close on the money side of things. Konerko is truly thinking about this because He can spend three years at home with his wife and kids as they are in the growing age stage. Three years at home with your family around for about the same money (Dbacks offering a touch less) or three years on the road with your only team and a chance to win the division. Thats why this is taking another day.

I could see that being the case, but I thought the DBacks were a long shot and the Rangers were actually the other serious contender.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 05:58 AM)
I would guess the probability is at least 30-60% that DLee has a better season than Konerko in 2010...right?

It's also like you wish he would have faded like Thome in 2009 so the decision wouldn't be so murky...because I don't think anybody would be willing to bet their 401K he would ever have another season in 2011-12-13 approaching the overall numbers and consistency he displayed this past season.

Ya know, I've heard this opinion from several Sox fans that Konerko is not likely to repeat his 2010 season, and I'm not saying it is wrong, but you can say that about several pro athletes who have a fantastic year. In this case though I'm not quite so sure that he can't at least come close.

A few weeks back Greg Walker was being interviewed someplace, I forget where, but he was saying how Paul Konerko just "clicked in" somewhere towards the end of the 2009 season and has been going strong ever since. Walker mentioned that this "getting it" happens for great hitters at a point in their careers, some earlier, some later. For whatever reason Greg Walker thinks that Paulie has now "got it" and there is no looking back. Now wether this means that he no longer doubts himself, or gets mad at himself for a bad at bat or not I don't know. But Walker thinks that Konerko now "has it".

Now if Quentin could "get it".

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
I could see that being the case, but I thought the DBacks were a long shot and the Rangers were actually the other serious contender.

My understanding is the Dbacks did make an offer and its for a couple of million less but its for three years. The Rangers have been involved and are in the ball park but its not been a priority and they have not added a third year.

Just what I understand. My take is a deal will be done today eitherway.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:27 AM)
Ya know, I've heard this opinion from several Sox fans that Konerko is not likely to repeat his 2010 season, and I'm not saying it is wrong, but you can say that about several pro athletes who have a fantastic year. In this case though I'm not quite so sure that he can't at least come close.

A few weeks back Greg Walker was being interviewed someplace, I forget where, but he was saying how Paul Konerko just "clicked in" somewhere towards the end of the 2009 season and has been going strong ever since. Walker mentioned that this "getting it" happens for great hitters at a point in their careers, some earlier, some later. For whatever reason Greg Walker thinks that Paulie has now "got it" and there is no looking back. Now wether this means that he no longer doubts himself, or gets mad at himself for a bad at bat or not I don't know. But Walker thinks that Konerko now "has it".

Now if Quentin could "get it".

Its clicked in for Paulie many times. The only things you really have to be concerned with about Paulie is a. his thumb which he gets a couple injections into every year, and b. father time. Age catches up to everyone. You don't have to lose much in reflex, reaction time, or your vision can erode slightly and it can make you go from excellent to mediocre or even horrible. Paulie is right about the age a lot of non steroid guys hit the wall. Some don't. Maybe he's one of them.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
My understanding is the Dbacks did make an offer and its for a couple of million less but its for three years. The Rangers have been involved and are in the ball park but its not been a priority and they have not added a third year.

Just what I understand. My take is a deal will be done today eitherway.

I hope so, one way or the other. I'd love to see Paulie back, but I don't want to see the Sox overpay or go for a contract that is too long. If PK signs elsewhere it'll be interesting to see what KW's plans B and C are. I would imagine DLee is one of them, but he may have something else up his sleeve that gets someone for another position and leaves 1st open for Viciedo.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
Nationals are going to offer a HUGE number to Cliff Lee.

Probably something like

3 years, $10 million

really though they are offering a seventh year and other teams, including the NYY only want to go 6. Heyman just tweeted years are important to Lee and the seventh may make difference. I believe NYY step up and give him the 7th

Edited by SoxFan562004

I wasn't being joking about the Nationals offer, but instead the fact that they emphasized that it was going to be a "HUGE" number.

I could certainly see them giving him the biggest contract to a pitcher ever, and it could certainly be a move that makes or breaks their franchise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
SI_JonHeyman

hearing #royals wouldnt trade greinke within division in "a perfect world.'' sounds like a bit of softening in that stance.

Sounds a bit to me like the best offer thus far has come within the division...