Dbacks have reached a deal with Putz

joeynach

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
I'm guessing he's getting 3yrs with incentives that can take him into that 18-21 million dollar range.

For that price, they can have him. Odds are you are going to lose at least one years worth of time to injury, and he isn't a $10 million a year pitcher.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
The good thing is that there seems to be a decent middle relief market out there. I wish Putz came back, but oh well, what can you do?

I'd go after Balfour and Okajima.

If we couldn't afford Putz I don't see how we'd be able to bring in Balfour either. Think it may be bargain bin bullpen shopping for KW.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal Putz breakdown with #Diamondbacks: 2 yrs, 10M. 4M in 11, 4.5M in 12, 6.5M club option or 1.5M buyout. Max 15M over 3 yrs. #MLB

10 minutes ago

Putz chose the money over a chance to be on a competing team

let's hope PK doesn't follow suit.

Konerkos money situation is nothing like JJs, and neither is his injury history, nor his age. Konerko doesn't have to follow the money unless it is a huge difference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
Konerkos money situation is nothing like JJs, and neither is his injury history, nor his age. Konerko doesn't have to follow the money unless it is a huge difference.

JJ chose the diamondbacks for two reasons ( as I emailed you before) The first is he lives in AZ which was part of this. The second is He would have signed with the Sox for the exact same amount. The sox offered him 3.2 million. I think he made the right choice both on the money side, getting a second year and on a personal side spending much more time at home.

I don't quite understand why everyone assumes the DBacks are going to be bad. They had a good offense, they had a good defense, and their rotation was pretty solid...the main thing that was awful for them was their bullpen, and it was historically bad. Putz is part of that solution, and Towers has made a couple other moves (and will continue to make moves) to shore it up.

I'm not suggesting they're going to be great by any stretch, but I could certainly see them being around .500. Beyond that, he gets quite a bit of money, and the Phoenix area is generally pretty relaxing.

I wish JJ the best of luck. He had a hell of a season on the South Side, and we'll be thankful. Hopefully he tears the NL apart.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
I don't quite understand why everyone assumes the DBacks are going to be bad. They had a good offense, they had a good defense, and their rotation was pretty solid...the main thing that was awful for them was their bullpen, and it was historically bad. Putz is part of that solution, and Towers has made a couple other moves (and will continue to make moves) to shore it up.

I'm not suggesting they're going to be great by any stretch, but I could certainly see them being around .500. Beyond that, he gets quite a bit of money, and the Phoenix area is generally pretty relaxing.

I wish JJ the best of luck. He had a hell of a season on the South Side, and we'll be thankful. Hopefully he tears the NL apart.

Good points...they definitely have some nice young talent. I do still have questions about their rotation though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
Good points...they definitely have some nice young talent. I do still have questions about their rotation though.

I think that's natural, but Hudson, Kennedy, Saunders, and Enright is a solid start, and I'm sure that Towers will add a few more pieces too. It's obviously not perfect, but there are worse rotations in the majors.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
JJ chose the diamondbacks for two reasons ( as I emailed you before) The first is he lives in AZ which was part of this. The second is He would have signed with the Sox for the exact same amount. The sox offered him 3.2 million. I think he made the right choice both on the money side, getting a second year and on a personal side spending much more time at home.

I guess that when it came on these issues, he made up his mind and decided not to Putz around anymore.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)

Well...they lost 59 dingers getting rid of LaRoche and Reynolds. Their such and up and down team and I really don't see a whole lot more upside than we've already seen. I agree they have some decent young talent like Upton and Kelly Johnson (if you wanna call him young at 28). Could they (the young guys) put it together this year? Maybe...but I wouldn't hold my breath. You seem more optimistic than 99% of DBag fans out here...

Would you feel good going into the season with a rotation of:

Ian Kennedy

Joe Saunders

Hudson

Duke

?