Current Compromise on Tax Cuts

Texsox

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm impressed. Lately the only side that has gotten this fired up about anything has been the Tea Party.

Liberal activists angry about President Barack Obama’s concession on tax cuts for upper-income Americans crashed two phone lines at the White House and are gearing up for another onslaught of calls to Senate Democratic leaders in an eleventh-hour push to kill the deal.

Supporters of the New York-based Agenda Project shut down two phone lines for most the day Monday in White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett’s office, according to the group’s founder, Erica Payne. And even though Obama ultimately announced a bipartisan deal that extends tax cuts for the wealthy, Payne said her group, which boasts 10,000 supporters, has plans to push back every step of the way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 07:42 AM)
I'd be willing to transfer if relocation is at least partially covered. And it depends on where the location is.

Experience has been primarily in retail/wholesale. And yes, Internal Audit.

Thanks Jason!

I'll keep my eye out. Only areas I'd be talking about would be Orange County as it is the marketplace I'm familiar with. Did you formerly have an accounting background and what level position are you looking for (Senior, Mgr, Senior Manager? ).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
In all seriousness, I have probably turned in 10 times that over the year and a half I have been out. I have gotten about three interviews, though one of them might be generating another chance, as the person who was hired for the position was already promoted, and I talked to the VP who interviewed me and he wants me to come back in again.

I hope that comes through for you.

This is also where people say become a migrant farm worker, landscapper, yardman, dishwasher, or a cutter in a meat processing plant. As if that is an option for the majority of people who are out of work. There are so many people out of work that can't relocate or have family commitments where it is cheaper for them to be off work than take a $6 per hour job.

And what about taking 2% of individual's contributions out of social security? Nothing like having the average wage earner contribute less to their retirement. That doesn't save me any money, I am in a state pension instead.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)

This is also where people say become a migrant farm worker, landscapper, yardman, dishwasher, or a cutter in a meat processing plant. As if that is an option for the majority of people who are out of work. There are so many people out of work that can't relocate or have family commitments where it is cheaper for them to be off work than take a $6 per hour job.

I number I heard this morning was 3.5 million positions open. That is with 15 million people out of work.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
And what about taking 2% of individual's contributions out of social security? Nothing like having the average wage earner contribute less to their retirement. That doesn't save me any money, I am in a state pension instead.

Supposedly, this decrease will be paid for entirely out of the general fund, and as such will do nothing to affect the long-term finances of OASDI. What it will do instead is, for the period of 1 year, make it substantially cheaper for businesses to employ people in good, middle and upper middle class jobs. Because it's temporary, it gives businesses that might be considering hiring a good reason to do so right now. Of course, anyone who opposes unions should oppose this, because the sorts of mcompanies that would benefit the most from this are the ones that employ a large number of middle class and upper middle class workers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I number I heard this morning was 3.5 million positions open. That is with 15 million people out of work.

And of course, that 15 million people out of work doesn't count the ones that have dropped out of the labor force, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
And of course, that 15 million people out of work doesn't count the ones that have dropped out of the labor force, right?

I'm actually stealing the number that someone just used in this thread. I'm not even sure if it is accurate or what it includes, or doesn't include.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)

He just called, I am going for an interview tomorrow at noon :headbang

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
I'd be willing to transfer if relocation is at least partially covered. And it depends on where the location is.

Experience has been primarily in retail/wholesale. And yes, Internal Audit.

Thanks Jason!

I know I mentioned it a while ago, but the IRS is hiring in the Chicago area. Can't give any leg-up or recommendation beyond going to usajobs.gov, but someone was just talking to my dad about this on Thanksgiving.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
I'm just saying that if you let those people know that in 6 months there will be no income coming in, guess what, they might have to change gears for a couple of years and take a job they normally wouldn't.

These jobs don't exist.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
I'm actually stealing the number that someone just used in this thread. I'm not even sure if it is accurate or what it includes, or doesn't include.

It's all BLS numbers. The BLS job listing number is 3.4 million. The Seasonally adjusted unemployed is 15.1 million. The out of the labor force number is 84.7 million, and has gone up by 1.7 million in the last year alone.

SurveyUSA conducted a poll last night of people who contributed financially to Obama's 2008 Campaign.

The poll shows clearly that these contributors are deeply opposed (74%) to a deal with Republicans to extend the Bush-era tax breaks for those making over $250,000 a year. The depth of opposition to a deal is severe with former Obama contributors saying that they are less likely (57%) to support Democrats who support this deal in 2012.

A majority of the former Obama contributors surveyed also say that the President's deal also makes them less likely (51%) to contribute to his reelection campaign in 2012.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Over-reaction, imo. They'll support him when he's running against Palin or some equally offensive Republican.

I think the more important thing here is how the House Democrats react to the deal. If there's a substantial pool of Republicans who are adamant about not extending unemployment benefits for those lazy, drug-addicted unemployed, there might well be enough angry Dems in the House to block this. If they have an angry, suddenly motivated base ringing their phones off the hook...

Which would be a marvel btw. Getting the Democrats to vote against the obama tax plan.

Somewhere here there's a joke about Obama Folding while Reid is holding a Jack high...

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is trying to use the tax cut package President Barack Obama brokered with Republicans to legalize online poker, POLITICO has learned — a move that could further complicate the deal Obama announced Monday.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
In his press conference today, a clearly frustrated Obama defended himself against a final question about how this would be viewed by folks on the left.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

I have no idea how this will all work out politically for him, but watching him handle questions like this proves his intellect. Can you imagine how a Bush or Palin would butcher the response to that?