Dayan Viciedo

fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
So is he just prime trade bait now? Seems like he's blocked for 3 years now. I have no problem trading him with his value being pretty high.

I'd love for the White Sox to get some value for him as we're in win-now mode and I have absolutely zero confidence that he will be a difference maker in the bigs.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
If we are "All in" lets look at the holes we have on this team. 5th starter and at least one bullpen arm. Viciedo is not that good. If he can be used to get either of these for our "all in" 2011. Trade him now.

I love statements like this.

He's 21 years old for crying out loud!

The way some people talk about this kid and have for the past two years just drives me nuts...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
All prospects suck, right?

I'm not one to get caught up in the promise and potential of minor league players, but I think it would be a huge mistake to trade Viciedo. I don't need to harp on his age or his tools -- there is plenty of that going on already. Just give him a chance to develop.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
I'd love for the White Sox to get some value for him as we're in win-now mode and I have absolutely zero confidence that he will be a difference maker in the bigs.

Really? Zero confidence? Care to articulate why?

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

His progression between when he first started playing milb for us compared to what he did last season speaks volumes about this kid. I hope we keep him in the system and let him continue to develop an eye and learn to better adjust to breaking stuff. He's got ridiculous talent and we certainly got a taste of it last season.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
Really? Zero confidence? Care to articulate why?

You have to be one hell of a hitter to play 1B or DH in the American League. He does not have the athleticism to play 3B, despite a couple lucky plays there last year, and I don't see a conversion to corner outfield in his future.

I don't see him ever being disciplined enough to man such a position in the AL.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
You have to be one hell of a hitter to play 1B or DH in the American League. He does not have the athleticism to play 3B, despite a couple lucky plays there last year, and I don't see a conversion to corner outfield in his future.

I don't see him ever being disciplined enough to man such a position in the AL.

Are you calling Dayan a fatty?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:51 PM)
The stuff I've heard out of the Org seems to suggest that they really like Morel's glove and think his bat will come around quickly, while they clearly don't trust Viciedo's glove or Teahen's glove or bat at all for 3b.

I agree that this seems to be their thinking. But, you know how things change and I would hate to lose other options by a quick reaction to trade someone

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
I agree that this seems to be their thinking. But, you know how things change and I would hate to lose other options by a quick reaction to trade someone

"A quick reaction" would be having Morel come up this year, struggle some at the start, and wind up replaced.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
I would trade him for a dominant, young, cheap closer, or a good, young, team controlled starter. Just a bullpen piece or a mediocre veteran starter wouldn't be enough for me to trade the best positional prospect we have.

dominant young cheap closer? Who might that be?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
"A quick reaction" would be having Morel come up this year, struggle some at the start, and wind up replaced.

Better wording might have made my idea clearer. But, what you are saying is exactly what I mean. Give the job now to Morel and trade Viciedo and/or Teahan and Morel falls on his face in ST. I can see one of the two being moved in a good deal, but maybe Viciedo still is in a competition for 3B with Morel?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Better wording might have made my idea clearer. But, what you are saying is exactly what I mean. Give the job now to Morel and trade Viciedo and/or Teahan and Morel falls on his face in ST. I can see one of the two being moved in a good deal, but maybe Viciedo still is in a competition for 3B with Morel?

Frankly, even if Morel has a bad ST, he played so well in the minors last year that the job ought to be his, or at worst his platooned with Vizquel, for the better part of this season.

Viciedo just simply doesn't belong there right now. If you were 100% committed to putting Viciedo at 3b, first you should never have moved him last year...second, you need to commit to playing him there in AAA every day this year. He has the arm to handle the spot, but he doesn't have the instincts, footwork, experience, etc., to be anything other than a butcher there right now. (You need to do the same thing with him at 1b this year anyway).

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
I'm not one to get caught up in the promise and potential of minor league players, but I think it would be a huge mistake to trade Viciedo. I don't need to harp on his age or his tools -- there is plenty of that going on already. Just give him a chance to develop.

I was just teasing quickman. He's notorious for hating every single prospect that's ever lived. This goes back at least 5 years.

Edited by Jordan4life

I don't think you trade Viciedo yet, unless the return is simply too good to pass up. Viciedo has crazy power and a lightning quick bat, and he is still very, very young. Beyond that, I think that you can go into the year with some cheap, scrap-heap free agent signings for the bullpen and hope that it works out. If it doesn't, and you don't get anything from the minors, then you can use a guy like Viciedo (or perhaps any others that have stepped up) in a trade for the relievers.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
dominant young cheap closer? Who might that be?

Andrew Bailey, Viciedo wouldnt be enough but that is someone I would target.

Craig Kimbrel is also an intriguing young closer to be.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
chris-sale-throwing.jpg

Sale is a starter to me, or atleast should be tested there first. It's a shame we have to put him in the bullpen instead of prepping him to join the rotation next year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
All prospects suck, right?

Pretty much at least ours. My point whether I like prospects or not, is this guy is not needed, and we have needs. Now if he can throw out of the pen or start every fifth day then I would certainly hold onto him at least until he blows out his shoulder or peters out in triple A like most of the sox prospects.

This team and KW in particular is not like other teams. They are not built on prospects or from the inside. Maybe thats why they have a lousy minor league system.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
I'd really prefer not to deal Viciedo unless it's for a proven BP guy. My biggest fear is him turning into a monster one it clicks on for him. We really don't know what we have on our hands right now with him. He's so young...and you really don't see many guys who have the ball jump off his bat quite like him.

Joe borchard was young, josh fields was young, brian golden boy Andersen was young. Main point is, where is he going to play, and is he currently needed.

I don't want to trade Viciedo unless it is for a very key piece. No bullpen arm will ever qualify as an important piece. Too volatile.

I'm prepared to jack him around and leave him in the minors longer than his development would like in order to keep him when the "monster" emerges. Any chance someone teaches him to improve the defense? Him being able to play third would solve some problems.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
Andrew Bailey, Viciedo wouldnt be enough but that is someone I would target.

Craig Kimbrel is also an intriguing young closer to be.

Sale is a starter to me, or atleast should be tested there first. It's a shame we have to put him in the bullpen instead of prepping him to join the rotation next year.

I agree 105%. Sale shouldn't thrown into the pen until our pen starts failing and Thornton can't get it done closing. Only then do I think we should call Sale up and give the pen a boost. Otherwise, stretch him out in AA or AAA.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
I was just teasing quickman. He's notorious for hating every single prospect that's ever lived. This goes back at least 5 years.

True! although I liked Beckham and had hopes for Mitchell ( although I don't think that will pan out either)

Lance Broadway

Kyle Mcculloch

Josh Fields

Brian "golden rod" Andersen

Royce ring

Kris Honel

Jason Stumm

Super Joe Borchard

Robert wells

Matt ginter

These are just number 1's.

appreciate the tease, but its not just because I hate prospects, I just think it makes sense to get what you may need.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
Pretty much at least ours. My point whether I like prospects or not, is this guy is not needed, and we have needs. Now if he can throw out of the pen or start every fifth day then I would certainly hold onto him at least until he blows out his shoulder or peters out in triple A like most of the sox prospects.

This team and KW in particular is not like other teams. They are not built on prospects or from the inside. Maybe thats why they have a lousy minor league system.

Ryan Howard was not needed in January of either 2004 or 2005 for the Phillies. They've been a lot better because they hung onto him.

My point isn't that Viciedo is going to become Ryan Howard or that the Sox are going to trade Adam Dunn for Grindy McGritterson who runs into outfield walls next offseason, but merely that the Sox shouldn't trade him just because they don't have a need right now. They could certainly use his bat off the bench (even if he has to pretend to play defense in LF and RF), they could most definitely have an injury down the line, and they may have a greater need arise later in the year that the Sox haven't seen yet, or a player become available that is far too cheap to pass up. There are several uses for Dayan Viciedo, and just because that means he isn't starting doesn't somehow take away from his value.