Bullpen '11

justBLAZE

I'm arguing too much... let me just say, that as a Sox fan, I really do not prefer Teahen, Jones or anyone else... I just don't want to watch the team give away extra outs and potentially extra runs by having Quentin in RF when his only real contribution to the team is his power bat, when its hard to predict he'll hit at all....

If the Sox can get a good arm for him, someone that projects well and will be cheap for a few years then you can worry about RF defense later. Its not hard to replace a -35 UZR. *shrug*

Maybe the A's will want Teahen or Quentin for their OBP and trade the Sox back someone like Craig Breslow (very good against lefties and not an extreme lefties splits guy) or another guys (not that familiar with the A's roster)....

Just sayin.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
Nice work there glossing over the stats. Teahen played 10 games there in 2010. Most everyone knows that UZR doesn't work well over short time periods, and is even better with multiple years, not 10 games.

If I do a little more looking, during the 32 games Teahen played in RF in 2009...he put up a -39.7 UZR. That means UZR thinks he was literally worth -1.2 runs per game in RF in 2009. That would be a -180 UZR over 162 games if that's how it worked.

UZR thinks he wasn't awful in RF in 2007, that's why his career number isn't terrible.

That wasn't what I meant to do... All I was saying was, if the Sox trade Quentin for a bullpen arm, signing someone like Jones to fill in isn't a bad option.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
That wasn't what I meant to do... All I was saying was, if the Sox trade Quentin for a bullpen arm, signing someone like Jones to fill in isn't a bad option.

And if the Sox trade Quentin, they need someone other than Jones to be a platoon partner with him, because he just can't handle the full season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
And if the Sox trade Quentin, they need someone other than Jones to be a platoon partner with him, because he just can't handle the full season.

You don't think Jones can handle a full season in RF? Why? He has been an extremely durable player over his career and is 33 right now. I think he is fully capable of 150+ games in RF.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
You don't think Jones can handle a full season in RF? Why? He has been an extremely durable player over his career and is 33 right now. I think he is fully capable of 150+ games in RF.

He has been anything but extremely durable for the last 3+ years, and both the Rangers and Sox saw exactly how durable Jones is early in the season last year. Jones got off to a hot streak both years. In 2009, the Rangers were playing him every day through April, and he pulled a muscle at the end of the month that dogged him the entire year. In 2010, the White Sox started playing him every day at the end of April, and within about a week and a half he missed 5+ games with back spasms.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
He has been anything but extremely durable for the last 3+ years, and both the Rangers and Sox saw exactly how durable Jones is early in the season last year. Jones got off to a hot streak both years. In 2009, the Rangers were playing him every day through April, and he pulled a muscle at the end of the month that dogged him the entire year. In 2010, the White Sox started playing him every day at the end of April, and within about a week and a half he missed 5+ games with back spasms.

Jones hit well in the final two months of the season, and his defense was stellar.

August: .273 .385 .606

Sept/Oct: .385 .515 .615

While Rios was falling back to earth and Quentin was stuck in a hotel room taking "dry cuts" Jones was mashing. Ain't his fault the Sox didn't / couldn't give him a whole lot of ABs down the stretch... they were in it to win it and they had Manny (ugh..)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
If you really think Andruw Jones can stay healthy as an everyday player, you weren't watching him last season. That's about all I can say about that.

I think all we (if I can speak for other pro-Jones posters (God, that sounds silly)) are suggesting that Jones is a viable RF option if Quentin is traded for a relief pitcher.

Over 16,000 outfield innings for Andruw Jones, with much of them played while overweight. The guy's body is so banged up and rundown you absolutely can not count on him to give you anything close to a full season. There's just way too much wear on those tires.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)

lol

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Hard to do a platoon with 2 righties. (Yes, I know Q has hit righties better than lefties, but I'm playing the manager name card)

If anything, he'd be a great 4th OFer to have. I'd definitely welcome him back for another 550k.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
If anything, he'd be a great 4th OFer to have. I'd definitely welcome him back for another 550k.

He ought to get about $3-$4 million from some team to be a part time OF/part time DH next year. If they bring back Thome, I think an ideal fit for him is Minny. Anaheim, Boston could work well also.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
To my knowledge, Andruw Jones isn't on our team right now.

Jones is not on the White Sox roster. If the Sox trade Quentin and start looking at free agent outfielders then does that put Manny back in the mix too?

QUOTE (since56 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
Jones is not on the White Sox roster. If the Sox trade Quentin and start looking at free agent outfielders then does that put Manny back in the mix too?

Manny who? Because I KNOW you wouldn't use the words Manny and outfielder in the same sentence talking about Ramirez.

And yes, that topic changed direction but not necessary as Cowley reports Kenny is trying to move Quentin to get bullpen help.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
I could see one piece of the bullpen added with a swap of bad contracts. Like Teahen for Mike Gonzalez of the O's who's owed $6 mill for 2011. Not ideal. But it could save a few bucks and get some competition for the bullpen.

That is the exact kind of deal I expect to see happen.