Bullpen '11

justBLAZE

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Two guys that I think would be perfect for the current situation the Sox is in are Duane Oliver and Brendan Donnelly.

I don't know if they're free agents or not, but they seem to be the ideal middle-relief type pitchers the Sox could've gotten on cheap 1-year deals.

Uhh, Darren Oliver?

Darren Oliver met the conditions of a vesting option with Texas and will be back there.

And looking at his numbers last year in Pittsburgh, tell me if you still want Brendand Donnelly to be in the bullpen next year.

If KW wants a 3rd leftie, see if Billy Beane will listen on Craig Breslow... solid against lefties and can get righties out too. Late inning experience and an ex-Twin (most important attribute of all!).

As for righties, I can't imagine a guy that spent 2010 in the minors and was injured in 2009 would command a whole lot more than a major league contract... give Jeremy Accardo a shot. Got good stuff and a steely Erstadian beard.

Are the Yankees tired of Joba yet? Can we please have him for free since we gave them a free RFer? Maybe if KW asks nicely? Or do we still owe them for the Contreras heist?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
I'd be cool with that.

I still want Fuentes as the third (or second depending on Sale starting) lefty in the pen. As long as he's not closer, he'd be good.

Romero's walk/IP sucks vs RHP but he's fairly decent against LHP.

I'm afraid that he'd want more than LOOGy money, though.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
I'd only bring him in as a LOOGY.

Ozzie Guillen always uses his LOOGY's more as mop-up guys than as guys to get lefties out. Randy Williams faced more righties than lefties last year, and only 6 more lefties than righties in 2009. Threets faced 27 righties and 14 lefties before he got hurt. Boone Logan in 2008 faced 110 lefties and 87 righties.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
Ozzie Guillen always uses his LOOGY's more as mop-up guys than as guys to get lefties out. Randy Williams faced more righties than lefties last year, and only 6 more lefties than righties in 2009. Threets faced 27 righties and 14 lefties before he got hurt. Boone Logan in 2008 faced 110 lefties and 87 righties.

Threets was good.

Randy and Logan...ugh. Good point.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
Now that the Greinke trade has happened, I'm sure Dayton Moore will listen to offers for Soria, I hope KW at least checks in on him.

Just like with the Greinke trade, we have nothing that matches up with them. Our top 2 trade chips are Viciedo and Morel, both of whom are corner IF's, and they're jammed up completely at corner IF.

By the trade deadline, Mitchell and Sale could become reasonable options, and those guys might interest them more, but Sale won't be dealt as a PTBNL and no one's dealing for Mitchell until they see that he's back to his pre-injury form.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)

He also has had a couple ROOGY-like guys, and mishandled them too. Ozzie cannot be given any sort of highly unbalanced xOOGY, because he will misuse him. It wasnt' so bad with Threets because when he's on, he can actually get some righties out. But some other guys, would be a disaster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
He also has had a couple ROOGY-like guys, and mishandled them too. Ozzie cannot be given any sort of highly unbalanced xOOGY, because he will misuse him. It wasnt' so bad with Threets because when he's on, he can actually get some righties out. But some other guys, would be a disaster.

I seem to remember an article talking about Ehren Wasserman, and they talked about him as a ROOGIE, and how Ozzie basically used him exclusively against RHB in 2007.

EDIT: The numbers support this idea. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8070/s...p;type=Pitching

And the RH/LH splits with Williams weren't exaggerated by any means. Threets faced a ton more RHB's, but was also much more effective against them. Ozzie might not be so oblivious.

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
Or Sergio Santos, we go with the more traditional RH closer...and keep Thornton/Sale as our own two-headed version of Joel Zumaya that can be used in high leverage situations anytime between the 6th and 8th.

I could legitimately see Santos working his way into the Closer's spot before the end of the season, but between his inexperience and the fact that he was at least a little iffy in high-leverage spots last year, they won't hand him that job.

I still think they add another LHP to the pen before this offseason is done, especially if they think Sale will spend a few weeks starting to open the year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Or Sergio Santos, we go with the more traditional RH closer...and keep Thornton/Sale as our own two-headed version of Joel Zumaya that can be used in high leverage situations anytime between the 6th and 8th.

That's kind of an odd statement. Zumaya???? Matt Thornton is our version of Matt Thornton. Zumaya is closer to Mike MacDougal and Andy Sisco than Matt Thornton.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
I could legitimately see Santos working his way into the Closer's spot before the end of the season, but between his inexperience and the fact that he was at least a little iffy in high-leverage spots last year, they won't hand him that job.

I still think they add another LHP to the pen before this offseason is done, especially if they think Sale will spend a few weeks starting to open the year.

That pesky 1.529 WHIP would have to greatly improve as well.