Peavy

Jake

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 02:27 AM)
I'm not a naysayer, I just want him to shut up and pitch. I want him to dominate and be the ace we need him to be. I want opposing teams to fear him when he comes to the mound. I want twins, yankees and red cub fans to be like "f***, PEAVY IS GOING TONIGHT" before important games down the stretch.

I couldn't care less what he says.

I'm in this camp.

I hope he can come back and dominate for a stretch--hopefully September and October, but I'm expecting him to come back too soon, and then hurt his shoulder even more than it probably already is. I just don't trust the guy to stay healthy.

Edited by flavum

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
I think Peavy is a key certainly. But the sox winning the Central has more to do with the offense, defense and bullpen being above average and doing it's job than Jake being healthy. The Starting Pitching of Mark, Floyd, Danks and Jackson could keep the sox more than competitive.

You misinterpreted what I said. Of course the overall team is going to have to perform. But a healthy, productive Peavy makes what should be a good team into one that can legitimately challenge for the AL pennant, assuming, of course, the rest of the team performs. There's no upside with guys like Danks, Floyd and Buehrle. They are what they are. You just hope they can match that. A good to great Jake Peavy adds a whole nother element.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)
Thanks for the medical view. I know that's your background. So, would you say we could look for less MPH, movement on his pitches early on, as the muscle regains strength? Also, how likely is the muscle to become "unattached" again? Isn't that the unknown, as pitchers haven't had this type of injury before?

My guess would be the decreased velocity early on while he builds strength. However, that is purely a guess as I've rehabbed other types of throwers with this injury but never a pitcher.

The repair will be stronger then the original attachment so it is less likely he he have the detachment again. Inflammation and irritation problrms would be the same as before the injury.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be another "why did we acquire Peavy?" or "he's always hurt" threads. What a pleasant surprise. Certainly we should all be concerned if he doesn't return to form, but I like the guy, and I like his attitude. I'm on board with the Peavy is a bad-ass club.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
I can't think of a time recently that our overall success as a team was so tied into one player being healthy and performing like they're capable. If we get the Peavy we're all praying for, we can run with anybody. That includes the Red Sox. The guy is that talented. His 1.75 ERA last June is sufficient evidence of that.

Last year, with Peavy and Quentin. We have more of a margin for error this year since we're not going into the season with an obvious hole.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
Last year, with Peavy and Quentin. We have more of a margin for error this year since we're not going into the season with an obvious hole.

True. But like I said, I'm not talking about the central. I'm talking pennant. I don't view CQ the same way because he has all of one season to his credit. Peavy's done it a number of years. I'm not expecting 2007 Peavy. But if we can get 90% of that? Wow.

My favorite quote from that article?

“I just got off a Nike trip with [Twins catcher] Joe Mauer and he spent a lot of time telling me how uncomfortable he felt facing that kid [sale], and this is coming from one of the best hitters in baseball.’’

At least with Peavy you know you're getting a stand up guy who will do everything in his power to be on the mound, where he will in turn give you everything he's got. A lot like one Jose Contreras, who I still can't believe came back from that Achilles injury so fast.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
In 20 overall starts for the Sox, he's 10-6 with a 4.11 ERA.

Not to turn this into a debate about the merits of the "win," but that's still a damn fine percentage. Obviously, the ERA is just fair, but he has been dominant at times. There were starts where he was close to unhittable, others where he was serving BP. I'm optimistic as to which will prove atypical.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
Not to turn this into a debate about the merits of the "win," but that's still a damn fine percentage. Obviously, the ERA is just fair, but he has been dominant at times. There were starts where he was close to unhittable, others where he was serving BP. I'm optimistic as to which will prove atypical.

I believe that Jake can rebound from his injury and pitch like an ace.

The question for me - is just when.

He's the dark horse baby.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
I dont want to fool myself by saying he is going to come back and be effective. . But if he does, we have a great chance to do some serious damage this year. Until then, KW needs to sign a cheaper veteran starter to fill up the 5th slot. Whats Freddy up to these days?

There's talk the Yankees are interested in him.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
I'm confused how Don Cooper predicted arm problems with Strasburg, but didn't with Peavy. Especially with Peavy's violent delivery. It almost seems like he has to learn to pitch a completely different way after he comes back.

technically he didnt hurt his arm, he tore a shoulder muscle. at the same time, they were tinkering with peavys delivery at the beginning of the season which he credited his bad start to.

i think peavys personal maintenance of his arm and shoulder(doesnt like icing his arm after games) and his warmup routine(or complete lack thereof) had a lot to do with his injury

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
There's talk the Yankees are interested in him.

He won 12 games last year in the 5th starter slot. With Peavy questionable, it makes no sense not to bring him back. And if Peavy is strong and ready to go- Freddy can head to the pen to be a long reliever / spot starter.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 06:39 AM)
You misinterpreted what I said. Of course the overall team is going to have to perform. But a healthy, productive Peavy makes what should be a good team into one that can legitimately challenge for the AL pennant, assuming, of course, the rest of the team performs. There's no upside with guys like Danks, Floyd and Buehrle. They are what they are. You just hope they can match that. A good to great Jake Peavy adds a whole nother element.

I'll have to disagree with the bolded part. Both Danks and Floyd are still young and either one is capable of having a break out year. If both do at the same time, say this year for instance, things will be looking mighty rosy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)

Yeah, I thought you were saying the Sox season kind of rested on Peavy's shoulders. I agree with the bolded part. As long as a few question marks get answered in the sox way--like a healthy Quentin sniffs his 2008 year; Beckham, Jackson, Crain, Sale and Santos are consistently solid; and most of the vets-I include Danks and Gavin--have career avg. years, then a healthy Peavy takes the team to a whole new level.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
I'm confused how Don Cooper predicted arm problems with Strasburg, but didn't with Peavy. Especially with Peavy's violent delivery. It almost seems like he has to learn to pitch a completely different way after he comes back.

Strasburg has a motion which some people believe is good others don't. Very similiar to Mark Prior's. They both had coaches who follow the Tom House theory of pitching. The training goes with the "towel drill" for extension to the plate we are familiar with here.

Peavy really doesn't have too bad of a motion. He runs into trouble because he likes to change arm slots during a game to fool hitters. Cooper does not like this as he tried to get contreras and Peavy to stop it or at least do it less.

There is no research to show to icing helps to prevent injuries. Ther have been a few studies on it and all show no significant difference even using a p.01. In fact one show an increase of injury although again it wasn't statistically significant.