Peavy

Jake

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 26, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
Cool, thanks! I know my A&P but I have no idea about kinesiology! Either way, it wasn't gonna be fixed by a 15 day DL stint, am I right?

Probably not. If the tendon was close enough to tearing, the rest and meds would make it feel better but not allow the tendon to heal. That type of healing would take 6-9 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
The only way Peavy will miss more than a month of the season is if he gets hurt again. I know I shouldn't expect but I think he's going to be ready to start the season, regardless of what has been said.

May 1st is my goal. That's like 4-5 starts to be covered by Sale before he gets sent to AAA.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
The only way Peavy will miss more than a month of the season is if he gets hurt again. I know I shouldn't expect but I think he's going to be ready to start the season, regardless of what has been said.

How can you say that so definitely? Because of a couple of reports from Cooper saying Jake is 'ahead of schedule' and 'on track'? Used to hear that all the time with Wood and Prior. Not saying Peavy is at that level of injury risk yet. But he's getting there. Just hope for the best but expect something in the middle is my philosophy.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
How can you say that so definitely? Because of a couple of reports from Cooper saying Jake is 'ahead of schedule' and 'on track'? Used to hear that all the time with Wood and Prior. Not saying Peavy is at that level of injury risk yet. But he's getting there. Just hope for the best but expect something in the middle is my philosophy.

I think he is going with the whole "think positive" attitude like what we saw a couple weeks ago with the "Quentin is going to hit 35 home runs and 120 RBI" or whatever people were saying.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)

If the guy is throwing off of the mound, that is a huge milepost in his recovery.

You can never say definitely but generally when someone is coming off of surgery and progressing well the only thing that holds them back is a separate injury. In the case of Wood and Prior, most of the time they were coming off an injury that they were resting and doing rehab not surgeries. The resting and rehab stints are different because your trying to get something to heal and set backs are more common. coming off surgery the problem has been corrcted he had months to heal and is wroking on strengthening so the timeline is more concrete.

All that being said this is a unique injury for a pitcher so you can use general timelines for strengthening but no one really knows for sure how long it will take for the strength to fully return. I'm stciking by my prediction of no more than a few weeks into the season and most likely he will be ready for the season. But that's just an educated guess based on rehab of other athletes with the same problem.

I still think the greater concern will be is if he can be effective with not dropping down as much because I'm pretty sure they aren't going to let him do it, especially early on.

No one really knows what the recovery time or effect on Peavy this injury will have because it is unique. There is nothing to base it on. I've never heard of a pitcher with the same problem. We have to be happy nothing was torn, just detached, not that that seems minor. Throwing off a mound with almost 3 months until the season starts is highly encouraging. He was really starting to pitch well when he went down last season. He's a gigantic question mark. He may be ready to pitch opening day, he may not. He may be able to give you 50 innings or maybe 210. He may be horrible or he may contend for a Cy Young. Anyone who claims they really know how this is going to play out is full of it. Who knows what happens. Maybe his stuff isn't what it was, maybe its the same or better, because maybe this has actually been an issue for longer than we can imagine. Maybe he'll never have a problem with it again, or maybe it detaches again after a month or two. We just have to hope he's somewhere near the pitcher we belived KW traded for.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
No one really knows what the recovery time or effect on Peavy this injury will have because it is unique. There is nothing to base it on. I've never heard of a pitcher with the same problem. We have to be happy nothing was torn, just detached, not that that seems minor. Throwing off a mound with almost 3 months until the season starts is highly encouraging. He was really starting to pitch well when he went down last season. He's a gigantic question mark. He may be ready to pitch opening day, he may not. He may be able to give you 50 innings or maybe 210. He may be horrible or he may contend for a Cy Young. Anyone who claims they really know how this is going to play out is full of it. Who knows what happens. Maybe his stuff isn't what it was, maybe its the same or better, because maybe this has actually been an issue for longer than we can imagine. Maybe he'll never have a problem with it again, or maybe it detaches again after a month or two. We just have to hope he's somewhere near the pitcher we belived KW traded for.

I haven't seen a pitcher with this injury either. Howevewr, I have worked with other types of overhead athletes, javelin and discus throwers. Once they returned to competition, they had no further difficulties. Tendon reattchments here and elsewhere in the body tend to be stronger than before due to the length of time of the internal fixation. So I think that once he returns to competition the lat will be fine. They will just want to watch him to make sure he doesn't alter his mechanics and injury something else.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
I haven't seen a pitcher with this injury either. Howevewr, I have worked with other types of overhead athletes, javelin and discus throwers. Once they returned to competition, they had no further difficulties. Tendon reattchments here and elsewhere in the body tend to be stronger than before due to the length of time of the internal fixation. So I think that once he returns to competition the lat will be fine. They will just want to watch him to make sure he doesn't alter his mechanics and injury something else.

I think it would be understandable for there to be a psychological hurdle to overcome as well, which will likely arise when competition begins. For Jake to not drop down is gonna be a tough sell...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 19, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)
May 1st is my goal. That's like 4-5 starts to be covered by Sale before he gets sent to AAA.

I guess me too, I dont expect Peavy to be ready opening day. I expect his time in spring training to progress slower with more recovery built in. I see him taking extended spring training until the end of april making a couple minor league rehab starts and coming up around May 10th.

I didn't mean to sound so definite in my post. However, the fact that he's throwing off the mound a month early, Cooper's praise of how he looks, and Peavy's extreme competitiveness makes me think optimistically that it is a good possibility. Like someone else said, the Sox not making a move for another pitcher says a lot. And from the sounds of things Cooper really doesn't want Sale to only make a few starts then move to the bullpen.