Peavy

Jake

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can the season just start already? Dunn, Konerko, Crain, and now more promising news on Peavy than I expected is making me want baseball to be here so bad. I'm usually not in a hurry for baseball to start, but there's something different about this year.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 01:05 AM)
Uh, no.

Yeah it is. Had he told the Sox about it, the Sox could have shut him down for 15-30 days, gotten him healthy enough to pitch, and then perhaps the season goes a bit differently.

Players hiding injuries is a huge thing. You are essentially defending the fact that a player hid an injury from the team, and pitching through that injury ended up costing him half a season. That's not smart, especially considering how much money the Sox are going to be paying him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
Yeah it is. Had he told the Sox about it, the Sox could have shut him down for 15-30 days, gotten him healthy enough to pitch, and then perhaps the season goes a bit differently.

Players hiding injuries is a huge thing. You are essentially defending the fact that a player hid an injury from the team, and pitching through that injury ended up costing him half a season. That's not smart, especially considering how much money the Sox are going to be paying him.

Peavy WAS helping the team. He was dominant while he was injured. The guy's lat was hanging on by a thread. 15-30 days wasn't gonna make a difference and earlier surgery wouldn't have saved him for 2010. He tried to pitch through it to help the team. There was no replacing him if he did shut it down and he knew it.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
Peavy WAS helping the team. He was dominant while he was injured. The guy's lat was hanging on by a thread. 15-30 days wasn't gonna make a difference and earlier surgery wouldn't have saved him for 2010. He tried to pitch through it to help the team. There was no replacing him if he did shut it down and he knew it.

Same as the Thorton argument...."if stupid Ozzie didn't leave Thorton in for that one extra batter he wouldn't have gotten hurt!!!!!" Injuries don't work like that.

Listen to your body a little bit better than I did. Be a little more honest with yourself when you are feeling something. I let something get quite a bit out of hand, and it led to an unfortunate ending to the season.

I certainly learned a valuable lesson this year [about] listening and taking care of your body a little bit better.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)

Forget the start before it gave out. What about the first time he felt it? Perhaps all of that detachment occurred within that 4-6 week period. If he tells the team about it ahead of time, he takes 10 days off, lets the muscle heal itself, and he's good to go.

If it were late October, like game 5, Peavy had been pitching well, and the series was tied at 2 - sure, I understand, blow out your f***ing elbow for that s***. World Series' don't come often. When it first came up, in like early June...you're absolutely crazy to defend Peavy's decision, especially considering Peavy is criticizing himself for it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Forget the start before it gave out. What about the first time he felt it? Perhaps all of that detachment occurred within that 4-6 week period. If he tells the team about it ahead of time, he takes 10 days off, lets the muscle heal itself, and he's good to go.

If it were late October, like game 5, Peavy had been pitching well, and the series was tied at 2 - sure, I understand, blow out your f***ing elbow for that s***. World Series' don't come often. When it first came up, in like early June...you're absolutely crazy to defend Peavy's decision, especially considering Peavy is criticizing himself for it.

If you'll recall, Peavy was complaining about "Tightness" in his shoulder and I believe actually missed a start in the weeks prior to that injury, and the talk was that he was just going to "Pitch through" the tightness. Whether the tightness was due to a tear or pitching through the tightness caused the tear, I don't know.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)

I could be wrong, but I don't think his shoulder tightness had anything to do with the tendon tear, and even if what he was feeling was his tendon weakening, the only thing that would have fixed it was surgery or a LONG layoff. Ligament and muscle damage work very differently. This season was lost no matter what, unless he adjusted his mechanics to reduce the stress on his decelerators. Even that isn't a sure thing, as lat tendon avulsions are completely unprecedented in pitchers.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
I could be wrong, but I don't think his shoulder tightness had anything to do with the tendon tear, and even if what he was feeling was his tendon weakening, the only thing that would have fixed it was surgery or a LONG layoff. Ligament and muscle damage work very differently. This season was lost no matter what, unless he adjusted his mechanics to reduce the stress on his decelerators. Even that isn't a sure thing, as lat tendon avulsions are completely unprecedented in pitchers.

Deceleration involves the external rotators such as the rotator cuff and posterior deltoid. The lat, which was torn is an accelerator which is why it is such a uinque injury for a pitcher. Most injuries in a pitchers should involve the decelerators or the stabilizers.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Deceleration involves the external rotators such as the rotator cuff and posterior deltoid. The lat, which was torn is an accelerator which is why it is such a uinque injury for a pitcher. Most injuries in a pitchers should involve the decelerators or the stabilizers.

Cool, thanks! I know my A&P but I have no idea about kinesiology! Either way, it wasn't gonna be fixed by a 15 day DL stint, am I right?