Props To Cowley

Marty34

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
There has been more information reported accurately on this board than he has done this offseason. He broke the Dunn story with direct information taken from this site and other writers.

Stop saying that. Joe Cowley didn't find out about Dunn from f***ing Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
I'd be willing to bet you that at least a player or two have posted on here before too.

We've had players, though mostly minor leaguers, post. And many more read. Also family members of players and minor leaguers.

People in the Sox org also read here, though I don't believe anyone currently working for the team will actually be posting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
We've had players, though mostly minor leaguers, post. And many more read. Also family members of players and minor leaguers.

People in the Sox org also read here, though I don't believe anyone currently working for the team will actually be posting.

Well they won't admit to it at least.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Let see it!

Cowley - I love how Trib columnist-by-default continues to pretend he knows what he's talking about with his "sources.'' Clean the pool, junior.

I thought it was funny that he was mocking Phil Rogers for getting info wrong, so I replied to the tweet.....

Me - @cst_sox By the way, good call on the Konerko ship-sailing. Would have been nice to bring him back. I hope Plan B and C work out!

Then he said....

Cowley - @JoeCoolMan24 I believe the S-Times was the only media outlet that had the story last night that despite what KW said, JR wanted it done.

and then....

Cowley - @JoeCoolMan24 News is fluid - you are either covering as it happens and as it changes or you cover it after the fact. I do it the first way.

He replied to me within minutes it seemed.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Cowley - I love how Trib columnist-by-default continues to pretend he knows what he's talking about with his "sources.'' Clean the pool, junior.

I thought it was funny that he was mocking Phil Rogers for getting info wrong, so I replied to the tweet.....

Me - @cst_sox By the way, good call on the Konerko ship-sailing. Would have been nice to bring him back. I hope Plan B and C work out!

Then he said....

Cowley - @JoeCoolMan24 I believe the S-Times was the only media outlet that had the story last night that despite what KW said, JR wanted it done.

and then....

Cowley - @JoeCoolMan24 News is fluid - you are either covering as it happens and as it changes or you cover it after the fact. I do it the first way.

Shoulda said something about the "kids can play II" bulls***.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)

Then he said....

and then....

LOL, yeah, because "the ship has sailed" was "news".

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Cowley's an idiot and Klaw rating the Crawford signing as an A+ and Paulie as a D is idiotic too.

Keith Law knows baseball but, for reasons no one seems sure of, has had a consistent pattern of being ridiculously negative about the Sox specifically. No idea why.

Cowley is just useless, he can't decide if he's a really bad reporter or a columnist trying to become Jay Mariotti.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
Keith Law knows baseball but, for reasons no one seems sure of, has had a consistent pattern of being ridiculously negative about the Sox specifically. No idea why.

Cowley is just useless, he can't decide if he's a really bad reporter or a columnist trying to become Jay Mariotti.

For a while there I thought he was essentially auditioning for a radio gig, because he's sarcastic as all get-out, and because of how comfortable he is with the sound of his own voice. But then I remembered that he comes across as too smug for even the most embittered and cynical audiences to listen to for extended blocks of time. Maybe he needs to start writing for the LA Times.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
For a while there I thought he was essentially auditioning for a radio gig, because he's sarcastic as all get-out, and because of how comfortable he is with the sound of his own voice. But then I remembered that he comes across as too smug for even the most embittered and cynical audiences to listen to for extended blocks of time. Maybe he needs to start writing for the LA Times.

I was thinking NY Times, but same idea.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
Commenting on his steaming piles of crap is meaningless. Unless you are buying the Sun Times, he is a failure at what he does.

Define "failure". You may not like his personality, but he's on top of everything. What you have to understand is that offseason stuff is constantly fluid, even for those that are actually involved in getting deals done. They may think they have something one minute, only for it to fall apart the next.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
I can't stand him. His steady stream of titanic-bloated homerism pieces make me want to barf. He makes SS2K5, Ranger and Hawk look pessimistic.

This entire post proves that your perception is off. Cowley is anything but a homer. Do you even read what he's written this offseason or see any of his tweets. He's been quite direct in regard to KW and has, a few times, taken a couple of stabs. Or at least it appears that way. And, with all due respect to Hawk, we are not even close to being the same and our jobs are not the same. If you think that, you clearly don't know what you're talking about and you certainly don't understand what a "homer" is. You've apparently failed to notice the number of times I've criticized the team.

Then again, I'm fighting a losing battle, I see. Some people will always hear what they want to hear.

Edited by Ranger

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
Then again, I'm fighting a losing battle, I see. Some people will always hear what they want to hear.

It's true some will. I think most of us understand that while you can be frustrated (and you certainly have given your opinion especially when the team plays like crap) you can't exactly go all-out ripping on the Sox and expect to keep your pre and post job.

I think you do a great job intelligently critiquing the Sox while making pre/post and WS Weekly great listens.

Define "failure". You may not like his personality, but he's on top of everything. What you have to understand is that offseason stuff is constantly fluid, even for those that are actually involved in getting deals done. They may think they have something one minute, only for it to fall apart the next.

This entire post proves that your perception is off. Cowley is anything but a homer. Do you even read what he's written this offseason or see any of his tweets. He's been quite direct in regard to KW and has, a few times, taken a couple of stabs. Or at least it appears that way. And, with all due respect to Hawk, we are not even close to being the same and our jobs are not the same. If you think that, you clearly don't know what you're talking about and you certainly don't understand what a "homer" is. You've apparently failed to notice the number of times I've criticized the team.

Just to clarify, I think J4L was talking about Scott Merkin there, not Cowley. Merkin is indeed a homer, because that's of course his job - he writes for MLB and represents the team's interests (if indirectly). I don't think anyone is of the view that Cowley is a homer.

And on the fluidity argument, that is exactly why Cowley is such garbage. His writing, tweets and other data he flings around speak in only two forms - sarcasm and absolutism. If he took out the 12-year-old act sarcasm crap, and made his material less absolute (PK has sailed!!!!!!), he'd at least have a chance to be marginally believable. As it stands, he's not a journalist at all, he's a screaming columnist, a la Jay Mariotti.

I believe he was referring to Merkin as the homer, not Cowley. I know Joe is your buddy, but he's been very wrong all offseason. Maybe it is because things are "fluid", which appears to be the new in word. The problem is, if anyone else is off, especially if they work for any other place but the Score or the Sun Times, Cowley pounces. His crap about KW destroying Rogers is ironic. KW destroyed Cowley on Friday when he said his stuff about the Sox shopping Quentin was "a lie". Joe sent out stuff like one of KW and Ozzie has to go, and you all know which one. No Joe, I don't, tell us. Have the balls to get it out there. Either have KW destroy you the rest of the time you cover Chicago baseball by saying KW has to go, or end your bromance with Oneyt by saying Ozzie has to go. AJ was going to Toronto. No he wasn't. He was going to the Dodgers. Paulie was going to the Cubs or the Rangers. No he wasn't, he was going to the Sox or the DBacks. He jumped on a collegue's story about the potential trade of Ozzie to the Marlins. The problem was the trade part may have been accurate, but the player the Sox were supposedly asking for was not.

Why is it when someone reported a story to Don Cooper and gave Cowley as the source of the information, did Cooper say, Cowley reported it? Then its a lie.