Props To Cowley

Marty34

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:51 PM)
He was the only one I saw report that the Chairman had joined the negotiations last night.

From David Haugh's article today...

Reinsdorf felt so emotionally invested to keeping Konerko in a Sox uniform that he made the ultimate sacrifice: he recused himself from negotiations.

It makes a better story portraying Reinsdorf as the guy riding in on a white horse carrying a briefcase full of concessions to get Konerko signed. But the Sox chairman only made one phone call, according to a source familiar with the process. It was to Konerko's agent, Craig Landis, explaining why he wouldn't be involved.

And a quote from Scott Merkin...

This deal looked to have hit a major snag on Tuesday evening... Williams even spoke of moving on to Plan B. That pessimism quickly turned positive after Williams left the Chicago media contingent, with a deal being arrived at later that evening.

"Again, we had a consistent dialogue throughout the entire time," said Williams. "But I wouldn't say that things really started to come together until after I left our press conference yesterday. And we had one more meeting headed by Rick Hahn just prior to dinner, and things just finished up over dinner and sushi -- good sushi."

So... as far as Cowley's 'scoop' about the chairman entering into the negotiations and that swinging the deal... nyet.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
It's so funny how far off people are about Cowley. He's got a very unlikable personality, but I'll never question his work. And I know these things first hand.

Does anyone here like Scott Merkin?

I can't stand him. His steady stream of titanic-bloated homerism pieces make me want to barf. He makes SS2K5, Ranger and Hawk look pessimistic.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:03 AM)
I don't know that this means. Presumably we all know his work first-hand from reading it. The back story isn't that interesting.

I mean people have the misconception that he really has no idea what is going on. His Twitter account should not be considered a news source, nor should any Twitter account really, and it seems like a lot of people are basing their opinions on that.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:51 PM)
He was the only one I saw report that the Chairman had joined the negotiations last night.

You must of missed Heyman on Sunday. Cowley said Konerko to the Cubs, Konerko to the Rangers, he didn't really mention the DBAcks offer. He said the snag was Konerko insisted on 15 million a year. It turns out it wasn't the money it was the length. He also said no Kerry Wood even if Konerko goes, then backtracked. He said AJ was heading north to Toronto, then the Sox signed him and he edited that out of his story. AJ was on MLB Network and said he was going to sign with the Dodgers. Seriously, Cowley is a goof. If you throw everything out there, one of them has to be right. Don't give him credit for saying JR was getting involved. Everyone knew JR was getting involved.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 03:37 AM)
Are you kidding me? He is employed by the White Sox!

I think he was talking about Cowley not Merkin.

Rick Hahn is great at his job and I think he is the epitome of stealth. That is who guys need to talk to as a source. Sounds like Reinsdorf and Williams had nothing to do with it at all.

The Kids Can Play Part II is all I have t osay about Cowley. Cowley's Twitter is media as he is a media source. Oney Guillen's is not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
Honestly, I can't think of a thing that Cowley had right this off-season, without it being reported by someone else first.

Didn't Cowley report that Konerko's agent was in the lobby of the hotel at some point? He might have had to use a GPS, but that was a sharp observation.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
I can't stand him. His steady stream of titanic-bloated homerism pieces make me want to barf. He makes SS2K5, Ranger and Hawk look pessimistic.

Jesus Christ dude. He gets info from the Sox and he puts it down. He's an MLB writer, not a SunTimes columnist. He's not into breaking stories or getting website hits or saying controversial things to create a sense of some kind of "journalistic integrity." His sources are better than Cowley's source for sure, and he's not about to go behind their backs. He's also pleasant to the fans who write him and he can answer their stupid questions in a manner that doesn't scream douchebag. If anything he is what more writers should be. He does exactly what he's paid to do and he does it professionally. There is honor in that. And who gives a f*** if he's a homer? Don't read him then. The MLB site isn't where you go for news anyway.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
This, albeit I'd love to know what's his beef with the Tribune that he likes to tweet a lot about. Sometimes the guy can be a douche tho.

it reads like more than a beef - the guy seems pathologically obsessed with Phil Rogers. I'm constantly surprised that the CST allows him to twitter about him like he does, the petty name-calling, the vindictive hatred. I'd also love to know where it comes from.

Maybe, just maybe, Joe wanted a job on the tribune and Phil said no?

It's absolutely great when you have a guy acting like a douche publicly in papers,online or radio, instead of having to hang out with a douche.

That way you can monitor what they're doing from afar and be entertained by it. This is how I can find B&B entertaining as well.

Then when you realize that these professionals, each with their own douche personality thing, is more a ratings/clicks-deriving plan of theirs, the heavens can open up for you and you can stop taking things so personally from afar.

Edited by Princess Dye