Multiple Sources: Sox actively shopping Quentin

SoxFan1

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
I shudder to think of Viciedo's range in RF, though. Especially because he turned down a chance to go play winter ball and perhaps work on his outfield skills.

I like Quentin and wouldn't trade him for middle relievers, but seriously, how could Viciedo be a downgrade defensively? KW loves Viciedo. Unless he shows he can play 3b, his future is in RF or LF.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Kenny has his mind set on trading Carlos then Carlos is already gone and there's nothing anyone can do about it. BUT there is no way he should ever enter these discussions with the "goal" of getting relief in return. Get a starting pitcher or a starting position player, and if you want relief then expand the deal if you have to. Or at least dump Teahen's contract and free up a bunch of cash (CQ in arb + Teahen is nearly $10M). But don't go around calling GM's telling them you're looking for relief.

This sounds stupid, but I would be in favor of D2 as a fourth outfielder over De Aza. He'd give them better Defense and some speed. Would strike out a lot, but De Aza isn't that good either... If we're strictly going in house candidates for the fourth OF....

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
Quentin and specs for Garza goddamnit. Then deal a starter for OF AND RP help.

Trading Q for relievers alone scares the s*** out of me.

I don't know why the Rays would be interested in Quentin considering they are cutting costs and they like their players to have some ability to play defense.

But yes, trading Quentin for relievers alone is a scary proposition. His value is low right now and unless you are talking about one of the premier set-up men in the game, it just doesn't seem worth it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
In trying to think of teams that will be spending atleast a little bit, need a ton of help offensively, and might have a piece or two the Sox like, I come up with Pittsburgh, and specifically Hanrahan and Morton.

I speculated about Hanrahan in another thread. The problem there is that he's only been really good once (last season) and he's arb-eligible now. But his stuff is undeniable and he certainly could have turned the corner. But we'd be buying way high and selling way low.

I dont understand why you would want to trade CQ now, what to save 4M. You already spent $120 if you want bullpen help go out and get a guy for 4 or 5M. He is still a capable part of our lineup who at any moment can carry our club for an extended period of time. CQ still owns 162 game average of .251/.347/.488/.835 with 32 HR and 100 RBI. I know he sucks defensively but where else do u get that kind of production for 4.5M or whatever he is going to get in arbitration. Also how many teams can say they have a 6th hitter who averages 32 HR and 100 RBI. And you want to get rid of that for a reliever and put who exactly in RF, and who exactly is going to replace all that offensive production for your 1, maybe 2 relievers.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
All the "in house" options for RF blow. And that includes Jones. Unless somebody outside these guys is brought in (maybe Ludwick?), it's going to be a huge downgrade. I actually think CQ is line for a huge bounce back year.

When Jared Mitchell is ready you trade CQ. When your only other RF is Mark Teahen you keep CQ. When CQ averages 30 HR and 100 RBI you dont trade him for mediocre relief help.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
When Jared Mitchell is ready you trade CQ. When your only other RF is Mark Teahen you keep CQ. When CQ averages 30 HR and 100 RBI you dont trade him for mediocre relief help.

Quentin will almost certainly have reached free agent status "when" Mitchell is ready. And there is no guarantee that Mitchell is going to be anything. He hasn't played a game in AA yet (the AFL is advanced, but it is also a shortened season) and he's still striking out quite a bit.

Again, why would the Rays want Carlos Quentin, especially for Garza? If they are going to bring in a guy who plays no defense, they'll bring him in from outside the organization and they'll almost certainly do it for less than $5 million.

I also don't know why the Rangers would give up prospects for Matt Garza when

#1 - they are still very much in the running for Cliff Lee

#2 - if they trade for a starting pitcher, I think it's much more likely to be Greinke than Garza

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
Again, why would the Rays want Carlos Quentin, especially for Garza? If they are going to bring in a guy who plays no defense, they'll bring him in from outside the organization and they'll almost certainly do it for less than $5 million.

I also don't know why the Rangers would give up prospects for Matt Garza when

#1 - they are still very much in the running for Cliff Lee

#2 - if they trade for a starting pitcher, I think it's much more likely to be Greinke than Garza

Quentin can play left field if needed, or DH. Tampa has flexibility there.

The Rangers will probably lose out on Lee to New York, and Garza would be much a cheaper option in a trade than Greinke.

I have no problem shopping Quentin. His lack of range in the outfield negates a significant portion of his offensive value, he cannot stay healthy, and much of his on-base skill relies in getting hit by the baseball. With Dunn and Konerko signed, we can more legitimately test the waters with Quentin. If someone wants to overpay, then by all means I'm for it.

They're not going to replace their best defender (TB) and remind the fans how much that sucks by bringing in someone worse than Pat Burrell to play LF/RF.

If we're all in this year, Quentin stays. Stupid to think otherwise. I know myself from having had plantar fasciitis (or however you spell it) twice this year (and still lingering after almost 6 months on just walking and no heavy activity) that it severely hampers you...you just don't feel like you can go full bore or jump or do anything 100% without reinjuring it again.

The first time I had a slight tear and I came back and played badminton after about 10 days...I was limping and unable to walk without crutches for the first 2-3. After completely ripping it apart, it's still not right.

Just give Quentin one more season. I think IF IF IF his foot has healed 100%, he'll be a lot closer to the 2008 version than the 2009 versions that were stricken by wrist surgery recovery and the foot problem.

KW could be planning to play Viciedo in RF, or platoon him with Teahen. I guess that might be better than giving Jones/Teahen the job IF IF IF the right relievers are brought in, but Viciedo's our only premium bat in terms of depth. Tyler Flowers no longer qualifies in that category.

So if one of those guys like Rios, Dunn or Konerko goes down and we've traded away Quentin, then ALL of the pressure falls squarely on Dayan, which might be KW's plan for all we know. The only way I would trade Quentin is if we got another starter back in the Floyd/Danks mold, which is unlikely to happen....AND a reliever or two. You don't trade him for a reliever.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
I dont understand why you would want to trade CQ now, what to save 4M. You already spent $120 if you want bullpen help go out and get a guy for 4 or 5M. He is still a capable part of our lineup who at any moment can carry our club for an extended period of time. CQ still owns 162 game average of .251/.347/.488/.835 with 32 HR and 100 RBI. I know he sucks defensively but where else do u get that kind of production for 4.5M or whatever he is going to get in arbitration. Also how many teams can say they have a 6th hitter who averages 32 HR and 100 RBI. And you want to get rid of that for a reliever and put who exactly in RF, and who exactly is going to replace all that offensive production for your 1, maybe 2 relievers.

Word. With a whole helluva lot less pressure on him this season, or atleast lower expectations, I think he's going to murder the ball and put up some monster numbers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
It was the same thing as the Swisher deal - the Sox thought they had something, turned out they didn't, and they got burned. The problem is that Teahen isn't near the caliber player that Swisher is and so they can't just dump him for scraps.

I'd say the real problem is that they extended him before seeing what they had.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
Everyone must realize KW loves Viciedo. If Quentin gets traded, RF just opened up for Viciedo. I'd be very careful trading Carlos Quentin. Guys who have a horrible year by putting up an .821 OPS don't come around very often. We all are very aware of what he's capable of.

I agree that trading Carlos is a huge risk, unless they get back something really terrific.

Quentin is the kind of player who could haunt management for several years to come, for giving up on him.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
I agree that trading Carlos is a huge risk, unless they get back something really terrific.

Quentin is the kind of player who could haunt management for several years to come, for giving up on him.

I think he is a risk either way. He could either blossom into the talent we saw in 08, or become an injury riddled bust that never reaches that potential again. While he could haunt management if he goes, he could also be that guy you should of sold high on because he never repeats that success when you kept him.

Tough decision for KW, one I would not want to have to make. Although in my opinion, I think we should sell high on him now. I dont know if relief pitching is what I would target, but it is what it is

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
I'd say the real problem is that they extended him before seeing what they had.

Its a risk on both sides, Teahen got what like 3.5M last year. What if the sox just go year to year arbitration and he rakes it last year, then his 3.5M bumps to 7M or so. Sox are on the hook for 4.5M so it just negated risk. Bad deal becuase he turned out to cost us games, not win us games.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
I think he is a risk either way. He could either blossom into the talent we saw in 08, or become an injury riddled bust that never reaches that potential again. While he could haunt management if he goes, he could also be that guy you should of sold high on because he never repeats that success when you kept him.

Tough decision for KW, one I would not want to have to make. Although in my opinion, I think we should sell high on him now. I dont know if relief pitching is what I would target, but it is what it is

Do you really think that the Sox would be "selling high" on Quentin? His value is probably lower than it has been at any time since before the 2008 season.

Judging from the way people on the various forums are talking, they certainly have never been less optimistic about Quentin. Remember, he used to be referred to as "The Carlos Quentin".